Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi PeterR - Sounds like the same family in the right area, I lost contact after school, working and eventual moving. Thanks for the info. fleetwood

Kieth and Trevor Lemm lived with their mother who ran 'Lemm's' shop, which was at the corner of Upwell St and Carlisle St. As far as I am aware, when the shop was demolished, they moved to the bottem of Wincobank Lane.

Hi PeterR - Sounds like the same family in the right area, I lost contact after school, working and eventual moving. Thanks for the info. fleetwood

Hi fleetwood, geotom and all,

I've just looked back over the last two or three pages and am now unsure whether Plum is part of a double barrelled surname for Keith Lemm or a nickname :huh:

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi fleetwood, geotom and all,

I've just looked back over the last two or three pages and am now unsure whether Plum is part of a double barrelled surname for Keith Lemm or a nickname :huh:

Peter.

it was a nickname

it was a nickname

Thanks for the clarification.

Peter.

Thanks for the clarification.

Peter.

-----------------

Hi Peter, This 1st picture, what did they call this rd that led

to Carlisle rd, i never spent much time down this end when i lived

in Grimesthorpe. i'am not sure if it brought you out near the Wellington

pub.

Then as you crossed the rd it went straight up Moss St.

Next picture, Was this Rd Bland St and i think it met up at top left on Carlisle Rd.

Edited by brian1941
WORDING

-----------------

Hi Peter, This 1st picture, what did they call this rd that led

to Carlisle rd, i never spent much time down this end when i lived

in Grimesthorpe. i'am not sure if it brought you out near the Wellington

pub.

Then as you crossed the rd it went straight up Moss St.

Next picture, Was this Rd Bland St and i think it met up at top left on Carlisle Rd.

I think both photos are taken from what was Adsetts Street (now Petre Street extention). The top one has Grimesthorpe school at the back. The older 'brown looking' building in both pictures is what was the old English Steel Corp's laboratory, then (1960's) corner Adsetts Street and Bland Street. The street that was opposite the bottom of Moss Street was Clevedon Street, I don't think in pictures.

Edited by stpetre
add

I think both photos are taken from what was Adsetts Street (now Petre Street extention). The top one has Grimesthorpe school at the back. The older 'brown looking' building in both pictures is what was the old English Steel Corp's laboratory, then (1960's) corner Adsetts Street and Bland Street. The street that was opposite the bottom of Moss Street was Clevedon Street, I don't think in pictures.

Hi brian1941 and stpetre,

On your first pic Brian, Adsetts Street ran from the junction with Carlisle Road and in a straight line through the right hand metal fence and ended here in this pic where the camera man is on Grimesthorpe Road with the police box behind him. The school is to his right on where Carlisle Road becomes Earl Marshall Road....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12889&prevUrl=

On your second pic Brian, Bland Street was the first junction on the left of Adsetts Street shown here....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13578&prevUrl=

and came out at the junctions of Hunsley Street and Carlisle Road.

The second left on Adsetts Street was Draper Street and the third and last left was Clevedon Street which is shown here....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=

There is a pathway now on what was Clevedon Street. At the bottom of the street the steelworks wall can be seen where Clevedon Street has crossed Adsetts Street to a dead end. Today rough brickwork can be seen where ends of the houses either side of the street were attached to this wall.

At the top of Clevedon Street is the Wellington which is left of the pic.

A right and immediate left across Carlisle Road would take you to Moss Street as shown here...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14104&prevUrl=

The present Petre Street curves across this area.

I've tried to be brief at the risk of confusion. Please let me know if you get lost :hihi:

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi brian1941 and stpetre,

On your first pic Brian, Adsetts Street ran from the junction with Carlisle Road and in a straight line through the right hand metal fence and ended here in this pic where the camera man is on Grimesthorpe Road with the police box behind him. The school is to his right on where Carlisle Road becomes Earl Marshall Road....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12889&prevUrl=

On your second pic Brian, Bland Street was the first junction on the left of Adsetts Street shown here....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13578&prevUrl=

and came out at the junctions of Hunsley Street and Carlisle Road.

The second left on Adsetts Street was Draper Street and the third and last left was Clevedon Street which is shown here....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=

There is a pathway now on what was Clevedon Street. At the bottom of the street the steelworks wall can be seen where Clevedon Street has crossed Adsetts Street to a dead end. Today rough brickwork can be seen where ends of the houses either side of the street were attached to this wall.

At the top of Clevedon Street is the Wellington which is left of the pic.

A right and immediate left across Carlisle Road would take you to Moss Street as shown here...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14104&prevUrl=

The present Petre Street curves across this area.

I've tried to be brief at the risk of confusion. Please let me know if you get lost :hihi:

Peter.

Was that a wet fish shop at the corner of Adsetts St Peter,or is my memory playing tricks.

Was that a wet fish shop at the corner of Adsetts St Peter,or is my memory playing tricks.

as far as I remember Sheila, it was a fruit and veg, the wet fish shop was between the vic and collins shop

-------------------

Hi Sheila, Do you mean Mr Harrisons i think his name was,

the shop opposite Grimesthorpe Club. yes that shop did sell wet fish

and fruit/veg. Brian. hope your well.

as far as I remember Sheila, it was a fruit and veg, the wet fish shop was between the vic and collins shop

Can remember that one Terry,but got it in my head about the other shop,but Brian seems to think they sold fish too.Hope your well now love.

---------- Post added 22-01-2017 at 17:24 ----------

-------------------

Hi Sheila, Do you mean Mr Harrisons i think his name was,

the shop opposite Grimesthorpe Club. yes that shop did sell wet fish

and fruit/veg. Brian. hope your well.[/quote Thanks Bri,yes i'm well love.