Grimesthorpe Part 3

----------------------

I like that picture Peter and i really do remember them houses,

wished i had a £1 for every time i passed them.

On both our pics you can just make out where the shop window is, you

can see the Alex pub aswell. Thanks for your reply Peter.

Yes great photo, to the right where petrol station sign is, the 35 bus to Reform Chapel used to turn to it's left at the bottom of Carlisle Road onto Carlisle Street East and the 'Alex' -as you say- is to the right of the far car.

Yes great photo, to the right where petrol station sign is, the 35 bus to Reform Chapel used to turn to it's left at the bottom of Carlisle Road onto Carlisle Street East and the 'Alex' -as you say- is to the right of the far car.

Hi Brian and stpetre,

Nice to see your old memories being recalled.

The far car you mention stpetre is an Austin A30. I had one at the time of the photo. Is it mine ? I wonder :) I still lived at Shiregreen and to travel home would leave outside Firth Browns 33 gate on Saville Street, take the left over Carwood Road bridge and turn right onto Carlisle Road East. On arriving at the spot where the car on the photo is, for a change I would either carry straight on and turn left onto Upwell Street or turn left up Carlisle Road and join the far end of Upwell Street, on my way to Shiregreen.

Here's a closer look at the Alex on 12 July 1965...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14112&prevUrl=

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian and stpetre,

Nice to see your old memories being recalled.

The far car you mention stpetre is an Austin A30. I had one at the time of the photo. Is it mine ? I wonder :) I still lived at Shiregreen and to travel home would leave outside Firth Browns 33 gate on Saville Street, take the left over Carwood Road bridge and turn right onto Carlisle Road East. On arriving at the spot where the car on the photo is, for a change I would either carry straight on and turn left onto Upwell Street or turn left up Carlisle Road and join the far end of Upwell Street, on my way to Shiregreen.

Here's a closer look at the Alex on 12 July 1965...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14112&prevUrl=

Peter.

------------------------

Your Picture Peter, the first gate on the left is where the lorries backed

into, i can remember some months ago we were talking about them

3 wheeler that pulled the wagon. they use too call in that gate aswell

as the 4 wheelers. Brian

------------------------

Your Picture Peter, the first gate on the left is where the lorries backed

into, i can remember some months ago we were talking about them

3 wheeler that pulled the wagon. they use too call in that gate aswell

as the 4 wheelers. Brian

Click on these photos for a bigger pic.

This was an ex Firth Brown one I posted on the Firth Brown thread a while ago Brian...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=scammel+scarab&view=detailv2&&id=FA6AA0F11D3B5D5E4BAE963C76D24F28FA43AB12&selectedIndex=0&ccid=Qn0xYTpR&simid=608049606687263005&thid=OIP.M427d31613a5107882c0e2ec730bbc512o0&ajaxhist=0

This is the previous model Mechanical Horse which Firth Browns still had a few of when I was there in the early 60s...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=scammell+mechanical+horse&view=detailv2&id=0B7475AF89C3535946A9259DB684BB6CDE68CE88&selectedindex=14&ccid=DzyWbuF2&simid=607990318956086475&thid=OIP.M0f3c966ee1761bbb15d28ccea024ca29o0&mode=overlay&first=1

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Just a word, my cousin Barry Atkinson, late of Lincoln Place, passed away last night at the age of 68, Godbless, always remembered

Sorry to past on more sad news at this time of the year, but Keith Lemm died in hospital last nignt. Keith and his brother Trevor ran Grimesthorpe Boys Club for many years and will be sadly missed by all old members and locals of this area. I will inform you of any news i get about his funeral.

---------------

Hi Peter, They are very intresting there were all over England, would be

nice on an open air display so people could wander round them.

I would'nt mind having a run round on one. Ha Ha. Brian

---------------

Hi Peter, They are very intresting there were all over England, would be

nice on an open air display so people could wander round them.

I would'nt mind having a run round on one. Ha Ha. Brian

Yes Brian, and I would like to offload one from the overhead crane in Central Warehouse, which alas no longer exists, for old times sake. I was in my early twenties and it was a cross between being aware of having all that responsibility and power in my hands and like playing with big Tonka Toys.:hihi:

Peter.

Very sorry to hear about Keith (Plum) Lemm , He was great to us as lads in Grimesthorpe . I can and always will remember some of the trips we went on in his old van , like the Lake District and Wales. Keith and Trevor always sempt like chalk and cheese but both did great work for the community in Grimesthorpe , he will be a great loss. will attend if details posted.

Jim.

Keith Lemm (plum) funeral details are as follows, The service will be Friday 23rd December at 10.00am at Wincobank Undenominational Chapel (S5 6BB) followed by a short committal at Grenoside North Chapel (S35 8RZ). Light refreshments at Niagara centre (S6 1LU).

To all grimthorpians near and far hope you all have a merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year. 2017 Jean J

Hiya Peter R, This subject has been on here but very long ago,

so i thought i'd put this on this thread.

I'am sure there are lots of people will remember this and where they

lived and where they were at the time of the fire.

At Height of the blaze many as 15 fire engines from around Sheffield

spent 5/6 hours tackling the outbreak at Firth Brown' Carlisle St.

Story was there was contractors in to do work on the first day of

the shut down week, the Steelmen were on a 2 weeks holiday.

Can anyone remember where they were at the time of the fire.

PS, It was in the 2/3 Machine shop - July 1969.Next

time i see you Bri i'll tell you the story.I was stood on the hill watching it.But i know now what happened cant put it on here though.Merry xmas love.x

Edited by Groose
quotes