Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi Brian, it's a while since I went in the Gardeners Rest. I saw it in the Star about wanting investors, not at all that sure about investing in a pub these days.

In fact it's a busy pub, quite a few of the old factories in the area have been turned into apartments, you know upmarket, expensive flats.

Hi Brian, it's a while since I went in the Gardeners Rest. I saw it in the Star about wanting investors, not at all that sure about investing in a pub these days.

In fact it's a busy pub, quite a few of the old factories in the area have been turned into apartments, you know upmarket, expensive flats.

-------------------

Thanks George, I'll have to go down and look around has not been

round Neepsend a few years. Its doggy putting money into getting a

share of the pub. Think they collected about £30,000 - Looking for

£100,000. Not sure what that place is next door, do you get in the Ball

these days. Yours Brian.

Hiya skippy it's a photo taken when he was on tour and he was on in Sidney you have your arm around is shoulder you showed it me about 3or4 years ago I think dors is on it hope your ok is the back any better both take care

If Dor's has a programme in her hands with his picture on it, it was taken at Wollongong Entertainment centre on the 8th of December 2005 after an 18 month world tour.

Hello I think that's the one skippy have you still got the boat cheers

Sold the boat a few years ago, and had a few health problems over the last few years too, so we just take it easy these days and enjoy life.

Sheffield evening star on November 14th - 1969.

A group of Italians shooting a film called ' Gun for Sale ' - The location

Grimesthorpe Rd , Botham St, Cyclops St and Firth Vickers.

I have Typed this story from the evening paper should anyone have

difficult reading it from the print.

MAMMA MIA! SO THESE EES YOUR GRIMESTHORPE.

MAMMA MIA..... Grimesthorpe had never seen the like befor --- excited,

volatile Italians, whirring cameras and people wandering about in clothes 30years

out of date. This was the scene yesterday when an Italian TV film unit moved into Sheffield

for two days shooting of ''A Gun For Sale'' ...... a thriller based on Graham Green's novel.

The film-men had spent two days looking for the right location.

WIDE - EYED.

It had to give an impression of the early 30s. The area formed by Grimesthorpe Road,

Botham Street, and Cyclops St ended the search, men looked on wide-eyed as feet

after feet of film whirred into the cans. And those of the cast not working huddled in the

living room of grocery shop owner Mrs Margaret Sullivan who scurried about making coffee

and cheese sandwiches for the freezing Italians. Auburn-haired Ilaria Occhini, star of the

three-part film, swathed herself in an over-coat and waited patiently to be called.

' HOME' EXTRAS

Extras were recruited from South Yorkshire clubland artists and being filmed was nothing

new to 50 year-old Maurice Burns, of Cooks Wood Road Sheffield.

''I once had a starring role in a film ''The Trials of Charles Peace' about 14 years ago he recalled.

''I was a policeman -- and was shot by Charles.''

Housewife Mrs Doreen Beecroft, of Tom Lane, Fulwood, Sheffield, who had also managed

to get herself roped in as an extra, said she had ''never felt so unattractive in her life.''

SO COLD

Examining her ragg-taggle extra's clothes, she added: ''I just hope i don't see anyone i know,''

But for the majority of them it was just a ''boring day in the cold.''

We've been here since 7.30 am, and have spent most of the day just walking about,'' they said.

''Today the unit moves to Firth Vickers for shooting outside the works, then at

the weekend its back home to Milan.

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

Sheffield evening star on November 14th - 1969.

A group of Italians shooting a film called ' Gun for Sale ' - The location

Grimesthorpe Rd , Botham St, Cyclops St and Firth Vickers.

I have Typed this story from the evening paper should anyone have

difficult reading it from the print.

MAMMA MIA! SO THESE EES YOUR GRIMESTHORPE.

MAMMA MIA..... Grimesthorpe had never seen the like befor --- excited,

volatile Italians, whirring cameras and people wandering about in clothes 30years

out of date. This was the scene yesterday when an Italian TV film unit moved into Sheffield

for two days shooting of ''A Gun For Sale'' ...... a thriller based on Graham Green's novel.

The film-men had spent two days looking for the right location.

WIDE - EYED.

It had to give an impression of the early 30s. The area formed by Grimesthorpe Road,

Botham Street, and Cyclops St ended the search, men looked on wide-eyed as feet

after feet of film whirred into the cans. And those of the cast not working huddled in the

living room of grocery shop owner Mrs Margaret Sullivan who scurried about making coffee

and cheese sandwiches for the freezing Italians. Auburn-haired Ilaria Occhini, star of the

three-part film, swathed herself in an over-coat and waited patiently to be called.

' HOME' EXTRAS

Extras were recruited from South Yorkshire clubland artists and being filmed was nothing

new to 50 year-old Maurice Burns, of Cooks Wood Road Sheffield.

''I once had a starring role in a film ''The Trials of Charles Peace' about 14 years ago he recalled.

''I was a policeman -- and was shot by Charles.''

Housewife Mrs Doreen Beecroft, of Tom Lane, Fulwood, Sheffield, who had also managed

to get herself roped in as an extra, said she had ''never felt so unattractive in her life.''

SO COLD

Examining her ragg-taggle extra's clothes, she added: ''I just hope i don't see anyone i know,''

But for the majority of them it was just a ''boring day in the cold.''

We've been here since 7.30 am, and have spent most of the day just walking about,'' they said.

''Today the unit moves to Firth Vickers for shooting outside the works, then at

the weekend its back home to Milan.

Strange you putting this on Bri,someone asked on here if anyone remembered a film being shot in Grimesthorpe and i can vaguely recall it happening.

Yes i asked about this some years ago . I can remember the floor around the Beer off (jtn Grimesthorpe Rd and Cyclop St ) being strew with leaves and a false vending machine being stuck on the shop wall.And when I went to have a look i was to to clear off by some bloke, i would have been about 10 or 12.Seem to think there was something Italian about it ,:loopy:

Strange you putting this on Bri,someone asked on here if anyone remembered a film being shot in Grimesthorpe and i can vaguely recall it happening.[/QUO

---------------------------

Hi Sheila, Thanks for taking time to read this story, i enclose a DVD

the case of Charles Peace. In the story i put i mentioned about the

policeman that played in the film. The policeman was shot by Charles

Peace.

Jad279, Gave this a mention some while back, thanks Jim.

Sheila did you recall Mrs Margret Sullivan in corner shop bottom of

Cyclops St. Brian.

Strange you putting this on Bri,someone asked on here if anyone remembered a film being shot in Grimesthorpe and i can vaguely recall it happening.[/QUO

---------------------------

Hi Sheila, Thanks for taking time to read this story, i enclose a DVD

the case of Charles Peace. In the story i put i mentioned about the

policeman that played in the film. The policeman was shot by Charles

Peace.

Jad279, Gave this a mention some while back, thanks Jim.

Sheila did you recall Mrs Margret Sullivan in corner shop bottom of

Cyclops St. Brian.

Cant say i do bri,didn't have much cause to go up there.We had Targetts bang facing our house,think it was Hukins before that.Then we had Kelks up at the bus stop which was previously Hemmingways.And dont forget Swindells top of our road.

Cant say i do bri,didn't have much cause to go up there.We had Targetts bang facing our house,think it was Hukins before that.Then we had Kelks up at the bus stop which was previously Hemmingways.And dont forget Swindells top of our road.[/quote

Myself and Pat Hemmingway were in the same classes at All Saint's school up till 1958. Yes, their shop was at the Petre Street- Botham Street junction anyone recall what happened to them ?

I remember the Sullivans having the corner shop as i used to knock about with there son Jed, he used to pass sweets out of the cellar thru an air vent. years later met Mr Sullivan in Rotherham as they were running a shop on Fitzwilliam Rd.