Grimesthorpe Part 3

I was with George Gill a couple of weeks before he died in Ohringen Germany where he was living,he died about 4 yrs ago and his ashes are buried with his mother in Hutcliffe Wood Cemetery i was there two weeks ago looking at the headstone.

You can't get more connected than that can you bullerboY? What a nice little touch. fleetwood

Hi Sheila, This is the picture i told you about the new look on the site of

Castle Market whenever building starts.

If you look on the right side of this pic you can just see the old lady,s bridge pub,

that is at end of waingate, this site is looking up towards Wilco. You can see the old crown court

clock in the picture to and by the way the old crown court is up for sale.

Hope you can follow this. Hope your well Brian.

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

Hi Sheila, This is the picture i told you about the new look on the site of

Castle Market whenever building starts.

If you look on the right side of this pic you can just see the old lady,s bridge pub,

that is at end of waingate, this site is looking up towards Wilco. You can see the old crown court

clock in the picture to and by the way the old crown court is up for sale.

Hope you can follow this. Hope your well Brian.

Yes Brian, great picture (composite ?) and the white building on the right is the former 'Lady's Bridge Hotel' (not a place you would take your mother or auntie to !) but the street shot that leads down to there is a much maligned and desolate street, Castlegate,-no properties on there, the River Don on one side and the to Southey Green bus terminal on the other.

George Gill became a well known guitarist and played with many top groups including Joe Cocker and Frank White he travelled the world and married a French lady and had two daughters sadly the marriage didnt last and they drifted away from each other,George has credits on three films including one with Anita Eckberg and two Clint Eastwood ones.He liked the continent most of all and spent 26 yrs as a street Musician in Ohringen Germany where he also played in clubs and was well liked and respected.I walked past George on the street for many years not knowing who was under the beard and hat until he wasnt there one year,i asked where he was and they told me he had a throat tumour which had burst and he was rushed to hospital.George had no insurance so the shopkeepers and towns folk all chipped in for his care,after his operation the Council found him an apartment which his friends decorated out for him and furnished it.I asked who is the musician and my friends said oh an englishman so i asked his name and coud have dropped when they said it was George,so we arranged a meetingoutside the Key West a pub he went in with his friends.On the night down comes george no beard or hat but carrying John Firmingers book Dirty Stop outs,they all greeted him in German,i looked at him and said in broad Sheffield dialect Nahrden George ahr da guein on get di arse dahn here weev a lot to talk abaht he burst into tears and said he hadnt heard that for a long time and pulled up a chair,we then got chatting about Sheffield and the pubs he was upset when i told him most of his old haunts had gone,then we got on about friends and all his close friends of the day were also mine,he asked me if i knew Malcolm Hooley and told him yes for about 40yrs and my wife went to school with him he was stunned at that then he asked about Frank White and i told him like wise.That night made George a lot happier,sadly the operation needed reversing and he was frightened but it was a sucsess but he caught Mrsa which was the end of him.Before we left to come home he left two envelopes, one for Malcolm and one for Frank,when we got back i phoned Malcolm and he was stunned believing George to have been dead many years,i gave Frank his and like wise and he wouldnt start his gig until he had read the letter many times.Now George lies with his mother in a grave in Hutcliffe wood at the top near the church there are some big gates he is around there and his gravestone carries a picture of a Guitar,Sorry its a long piece but now every one knows.He told his friends there that he used to play with Joe Cocker and they all thought he was kidding so when Joe was playing in Scwabishhall they got him a ticket to go so when joe was on stage he saw George shouted him up and introduced him to everyone and did a few notes together,he was a hero after that.

Edited by bullerboY

What a moving storey.

-------------

Hi George, Can you remember a Pauline Goodwin that live in

bottom yard in Moss St opposite where you lived near butchers.

The first yard behind Co' Op and i think she lived at top house. Brian.

Yes I did know Bri,his daughter let me know.Still in touch with Mags we went through school together.It was Micks funeral yesterday,was upset that I couldn't get.They moved to Mansfield sometime ago and as I we don't drive I couldn't make it never felt the need to drive with always being near town and loads of buses.Hope your well love.

--------------------

Hi Sheila, Sumut spotted my eye while on a trip down Attercliffe

towards River Don fishing spots. I could see the new flat on Grimesthorpe

Rd over looking the Smithes fields.

A matter of intrest i thought i'd send it to you. Brian.

--------------------

Hi Sheila, Sumut spotted my eye while on a trip down Attercliffe

towards River Don fishing spots. I could see the new flat on Grimesthorpe

Rd over looking the Smithes fields.

A matter of intrest i thought i'd send it to you. Brian.

Bri their not flats,it's Woodhill nursing home.More or less where Mrs Taffinder lived.

Bri their not flats,it's Woodhill nursing home.More or less where Mrs Taffinder lived.

-----------------

Yes Sheila it looks that you was right on the nursing home,

look at this pic and them flats are further back. When i took these

pics i got talking too a family from over seas that lives in one

and free rent.

Yes Gladys Taffinder from Sutherland Road baths. Great photo looking at Grimesthorpe Road in the distance ,which (I think) is taken from Stevenson Road- Birch Road with the former 'Foundry Workers Club' at the forefront.

Mrs taffinder toke us to fox house on a Sunday afternoons when she loved in Cyclops St in the 50s