Grimesthorpe Part 3

Brian, as a young 'un I couldn't wait for the Six Five Special to finish and Wells Fargo to start. It wasn't 60s though, it ran from Feb 1957 to the end of 1958.

---------------

Hi Jim H, I also loved the Juke Box Jury aswell, MY favorite was

Lone Rangers and Tonto western never went out too play till i

watched it :hihi::hihi:

---------------

Hi Jim H, I also loved the Juke Box Jury aswell, MY favorite was

Lone Rangers and Tonto western never went out too play till i

watched it :hihi::hihi:

Prefered the Ranger Rider and Dick West,even though he could only afford lead bullets

love the look of that massive new mosque they are currently building up grimesthorpe

love the look of that massive new mosque they are currently building up grimesthorpe

Where exactly?

Where exactly?

Corner of Botham St and Peter St,as if you was going up to Cyclops St.

Don't have time to search, but has anyone mentioned Mr.Collins' second-hand shop which, in the 50's, used to be opposite Suggs and much later moved to a shop across from the Vic picture house ( the 'Bug Hut' ) ? A purveyor of 'something for the weekend' and the back room full of saucy mags, if you could convince him you were old enough, and he didn't take much convincing ! ( When I say 'saucy mags', nothing like today....'Health and Beauty' and such. ) He had the look of Peter Cushing as I recall.

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 18:08 ----------

Forgetting to ask also if anyone remembers a club or union office which was towards the bottom end of Grimesthorpe Road, on the right going down. I had an uncle who worked for Firth Brown's and he often took me there as a kid.

Don't have time to search, but has anyone mentioned Mr.Collins' second-hand shop which, in the 50's, used to be opposite Suggs and much later moved to a shop across from the Vic picture house ( the 'Bug Hut' ) ? A purveyor of 'something for the weekend' and the back room full of saucy mags, if you could convince him you were old enough, and he didn't take much convincing ! ( When I say 'saucy mags', nothing like today....'Health and Beauty' and such. ) He had the look of Peter Cushing as I recall.

Forgetting to ask also if anyone remembers a club or union office which was towards the bottom end of Grimesthorpe Road, on the right going down. I had an uncle who worked for Firth Brown's and he often took me there as a kid.

-------------

It was Grimesthorpe Club but now a B/B for problems youngers.

I thought that the Grimesthorpe W.M.C was on the left. as the road descended from Hunsley Street towards Carlisle Road and Upwell Lane.

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 19:52 ----------

-------------

It was Grimesthorpe Club but now a B/B for problems youngers.

B/B Brian, If that means 'Bed and Breakfast' where do they have their 'Tea' ?

The location I remember is roughly where the much later Loxley Court Care Home now stands ( Google Earth ). It could have been a WMC as stpetre says, but I feel sure it was on the right going down. Did Hunsley Street once run into Grimesthorpe Road,I can't recall ?

Nothing on 'Picture Sheffield' either, so call it a day lads and thanks for the replies. I'm more interested in old man Collins and any stories about him and when he closed the business etc.

The location I remember is roughly where the much later Loxley Court Care Home now stands ( Google Earth ). It could have been a WMC as stpetre says, but I feel sure it was on the right going down. Did Hunsley Street once run into Grimesthorpe Road,I can't recall ?

Nothing on 'Picture Sheffield' either, so call it a day lads and thanks for the replies. I'm more interested in old man Collins and any stories about him and when he closed the business etc.

Yes, the 'Loxley Care Home' is actually on Petre Street between what was Botham Street and Hunsley Street. Before the re-development, Hunsley Street's start ran upwards from Carlisle Road, streets to the left were Ruthin Street and Petre Street (which ended there) and Moss Street on the right and yes, Hunsley Street ended at Grimesthorpe Road.

Edited by stpetre
Add

don collins original shop was across the road from my house on carlisle road he traded there for years before opening the shop on upwell street