Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi All, Pictures of Grimesthorpe.

1, Smithes Field, the new flats backside off Grimesthorpe Rd.

2, Looking up Grimesthorpe Rd.

3, New Flats, and Woodhill House Nursing Home Grimesthorpe Rd.

4, Margate flats, i can remember the prefabs not sure what year they came down. Brian.

Brian, I think the demise of the Margate prefabs was around 1967 along with Wensley Street and Shirecliffe Road (I know that's not Grimesthorpe, just trying to recall where some of the prefabs were.) Also do you remember the cricket field -with pavilion and scoreboard- on 'Smith's Field' ?

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 20:44 ----------

The photo ' Looking up Grimesthorpe Road' depicts Osgathorpe Road to the left and Torbay Road to the right and that big house behind the black gate which I always admired and often wondered who lived there. Reg Drabble-Coach and Bus operator did at one time.

Edited by stpetre

Brian, I think the demise of the Margate prefabs was around 1967 along with Wensley Street and Shirecliffe Road (I know that's not Grimesthorpe, just trying to recall where some of the prefabs were.) Also do you remember the cricket field -with pavilion and scoreboard- on 'Smith's Field' ?

The photo ' Looking up Grimesthorpe Road' depicts Osgathorpe Road to the left and Torbay Road to the right and that big house behind the black gate which I always admired and often wondered who lived there. Reg Drabble-Coach and Bus operator did at one time.

I think Taffinders lived in it or nearby in the 70"s

I think Taffinders lived in it or nearby in the 70"s

Yes bantycock. However the Taffinder's -the lady from Sutherland Road baths- lived at the next (more than one family I think) building along Grimesthorpe Road, which was a few hundred yards away with no properties, in between.

Edited by stpetre
Add

I believe an elderly gent named Mr Wright lived there in the late 50s. He was a member of the congregation at All Saints church and was reputed to put half a crown in the collection plate.

-----------------

Hi Stpetre and All, Thank for that info, i was still living in Moss St

in 1967 as said when prefabs went- great times.

---------

I remember the cricket pitch and watched the odd match on a Sunday

Afternoons, everything has over grown on smiths field as you

can see in one off my pics. Brian

I believe an elderly gent named Mr Wright lived there in the late 50s. He was a member of the congregation at All Saints church and was reputed to put half a crown in the collection plate.

Before my time but probably correct can remember seeing a nameplate Taffinders on a door did they have the bus company I know littlewoods had some nice coaches in them days big shiney red uns lol very nice picked us up on Adsetss St Grimesthorpe club trip ten Bob crisps and pop ..... once got a pound tote was generous that year lol

Before my time but probably correct can remember seeing a nameplate Taffinders on a door did they have the bus company I know littlewoods had some nice coaches in them days big shiney red uns lol very nice picked us up on Adsetss St Grimesthorpe club trip ten Bob crisps and pop ..... once got a pound tote was generous that year lol

Littlewood's coaches were maroon and grey and their garage was at Petre Street/Garter Street, however Reg.Drabble a coach proprietor (and a red coach) once lived at the big house further along from the Taffinder's on Grimesthorpe Road at Torbay Road.

Edited by stpetre

Littlewood's coaches were maroon and grey and their garage was at Petre Street/Garter Street, however Reg.Drabble a coach proprietor (and a red coach) once lived at the big house further along from the Taffinder's on Grimesthorpe Road at Torbay Road.

Yes it's comming back now Drabbles nice shiny modern coaches in competition with sut?????

Yes it's comming back now Drabbles nice shiny modern coaches in competition with sut?????

Yes Mr.B. I don't think Drabble's or Littlewood's cared about 'Kid's club trips' as they hadn't that many vehicles so it had to be 'S.U.T.' ' Sheffield United Tours' who did not have anything to do with the football club of a similar name, but as their entire livery was red and white, they reserved a special blue and white one for the 'Owls'. (I often wondered why they changed their name from 'United Motor Services'.)

In my recent post, Memories of Working Mens Clubs, I mentioned the concert room bar that would not serve women. I've been asked a couple of questions I cannot fully answer.

Is it true the bar would not serve ladies and why? Did this rule apply in all working mens clubs?

Yes it is true, the whole tale is true. Although it's a long time ago certain bits may have become clouded by time. Why did they have such a rule? I don't know and never thought to ask at the time and accepted it. Perhaps the committee thought it inappropriate for unaccompanied ladies to be in their premises, which would be strange as all the WMCs I went in were respectable and well run places.

Did the rule apply to all WMCs or was it peculiar to Firth Park Club?

I'm sure many of you readers will have experiences of WMCs and know the answers, perhaps some of the ladies actually came up against it

Please let us know.

The answer is probably quite simple. Women weren't allowed to be members and if you weren't a member you couldn't officially get served at the bar. I don't think bar staff can be bothered to check if strangers are members these days, nor can people be bothered to sign in.

Hello Mick. Good point, I'm sure that's the answer.

The answer is probably quite simple. Women weren't allowed to be members and if you weren't a member you couldn't officially get served at the bar. I don't think bar staff can be bothered to check if strangers are members these days, nor can people be bothered to sign in.

I don't know about all the W.M. clubs but Burngreave W.M.C. (Clun Road) had lady members (providing husband was a member) complete with card- but didn't see to many unaccompanied.