Grimesthorpe Part 3

Yes Brian, the overhead conveyer belt that ran from Scott Street to Garter Street (behind Carlisle Street East) delivered coal to Firth- Brown's main boiler house that was at Garter Street/Forncett Street. The stocks of coal , that had to be immense for a firm of that size were situated at just across from the 'Alex' opposite the Newhall Road junction.

---------------

Its good we have memories that far back Stpetre, is that Scott St

that runs upside from the Alex, if so i remember one or two houses.

An old school pal lived in one and i use to call at is home on friday nights

where we walked on to Reform Chaple as we both was in the boys Bridgade.

the family name was Wild. :|

---------------

Yes Brian there were at least two houses that ran up at the side of the 'Alex' and as they were painted the same as the pub, they were perhaps brewery (Tennant's then) owned.

---------------

Was that Keith Wild? I remember him well from BB. He was a great pace bowler in the chapel cricket team too. I had the occasional game in that when they were short. Prior to leaving Sheffield in 1976 I used to come across him at a well know pub ( but can't remember its name !) on Pitsmoor Rd near Abbeyfield Park; I think he lived near there.

Was that Keith Wild? I remember him well from BB. He was a great pace bowler in the chapel cricket team too. I had the occasional game in that when they were short. Prior to leaving Sheffield in 1976 I used to come across him at a well know pub ( but can't remember its name !) on Pitsmoor Rd near Abbeyfield Park; I think he lived near there.

The pubs on Pitsmoor Road were :the Toll Gate (Stones') now closed. The Bay Horse (Whitbread) and the one nearest the park, the Pitsmoor Hotel (Tetley)

The pubs on Pitsmoor Road were :the Toll Gate (Stones') now closed. The Bay Horse (Whitbread) and the one nearest the park, the Pitsmoor Hotel (Tetley)

It was the Toll Gate I think

It was the Toll Gate I think

johnpm; the Toll Gate had a car park in front and side of it, the others were nearer the road.

johnpm; the Toll Gate had a car park in front and side of it, the others were nearer the road.

Yes I am sure it was the Toll Gate.

Brian 941 - Was it Keith Wild?

Hi, The 'Wembley' as we used to call it was a playground with swings, slides, and roundabouts. It was located at the bottom of Sutherland Road on the opposite side just down from the Baths at the junction with Babur Road. Does anyone remember the name of the Barber who's shop was opposite Sutherland Road, Baths?

Hi All,

Was this the playground you mention, described as Sutherland Road Playground on 'Picture Sheffield'??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u00348&prevUrl=

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

---------------

Hi Johnpm, I'am not sure where Keith lived after moving from Scott St,

and not really sure what sports he played. I have seen him around

through Sheffield town last year.

I have been going through your photos you have on this thread and here

are two pics of Keith Wild in uniform on holiday in Jersey 1956/1960.

-------

PAGE 26-- No 503.

Two laddies sat in middle Keith next to them on right. 1956 pic.

On same page front row secone from right. pic 1960.

Hope this helps John. Brian. :thumbsup:

Edited by brian1941

Hi All,

Was this the playground you mention, described as Sutherland Road Playground on 'Picture Sheffield'??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u00348&prevUrl=

Peter.

Yeah that's it spent hours down there usually when wagging it from school lol

Yes Brian there were at least two houses that ran up at the side of the 'Alex' and as they were painted the same as the pub, they were perhaps brewery (Tennant's then) owned.

------------------

Hi Stpetre, I never thought of maybe they could be pub owned,

What about the shop that stood on that spare ground end of the houses.

Bought a few sweets in that shop. :|

------------------

Hi Stpetre, I never thought of maybe they could be pub owned,

What about the shop that stood on that spare ground end of the houses.

Bought a few sweets in that shop. :|

Don't recall the shop Brian, and as Scott Street was part of a quick detour across the 'rec' from Petre Street to Newhall Road perhaps I missed it.