Grimesthorpe Part 3

----------------------

Hiya Johnpm, Thanks for them great photo's,

its the in between years of 1958/9 that i could have been on the Photo's.

I knew lots of them guys on Jersey holidays. Thanks again and

thanks were on the internet or we wouldn't have seen these pics.

Yours Brian. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 19:47 ----------

--------------------

Yes Peter thanks for the Dose it still exist - Boys Brigade, there was

so much to look at on that. Did you see them Suzuki Motor Bikes

i took some over the 3 days away in Brid and will sent you next time.

Brian :|

My father Tommy Clarke keeps popping up now and then and his mats Brian Wright Terry suter love this thread !

Two on Spital Hill ,Pitsmoor(one appliances the other one opposite next to East House pub, furniture) Attercliffe Road (Kimberley Street) Staniforth Road (Darnall terminus) Middlewood Road (?) Page Hall or Firth Park and The Moor.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6169509320898562849

Hi Stpetre, Here's a picture of Wigfalls shop.

Henry Wigfalls was well known for sale's, hire and repair of Televisions

and Electrical goods, besides the sale of furniture, Cycles and clothing.

In the late 60s, the area manager was looking after 20 shops in Sheffield and Chesterfield.

The Comany at that time owned 80 stores over an area stretching from York to Leicester.

During the early part of the decade, Wigfall's had more than 200,000

Black/White sets and 30,000 colour sets out on rental, that represented

a total investment in TV rental of £16.000.000.

At the end of 1972, the company succesfully negotiated in agreement

with Debenham Group to under take all rental operations with Debenham's

stores. Wigfall's was swallowed up by the Dixson Group.

Wigfall's was best known as Wiggies.

This shop looks like town Centre. When i got married we had a Tub twin

washer and a Hoover carpet sweeper. Great to trade with Wiggies. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 15:36 ----------

Yes, that's me Brian. I was always the tallest and placed in the same spot for photographs. Have one at the Lifeboys camp at Staithes in 1955 and I'm in the same spot.

Yes, the annexe prefabs were on Earl Marshall Road and to the top right of pic. My classes were mostly in them. There were similar ones at Grimesthorpe Junior. I think they are still there.

I'm not sure who tended the gardens but remember the headmaster Mr. Godfrey calling a special assembly one day to try to find out who had cut all the heads off the flowers. He was most upset. Nobody confessed. 'It wasn't me Sir, honest.'

Looks like a bell tower. You could well be right Brian. I don't remember hearing it though. I seem to remember seeing a a bell which was made a feature of on the grass near the 'new' schools a few years ago, but I may be wrong??

Yes, Rushby Street ends at the top of the hill where it meets Earl Marshall Road.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6172850945659197265

Hi Peter, Been looking back on your thread regarding your holidays

in Staithes, back in 1947/8/9 i went there as a young lad but in the

1980s i and friends went to Redcar on a week holiday.

We made a special trip to Staithes, We took the bus into Middlesbrough

and i remember getting off in the small village with few shop on both

sides. We took a road to the right down a steepish lane then to the

right again half way down that would be to the beach.

We passed some very old cottages on the left on walked towards the

beach, the tide was out and we walk down a slope just like you see

in the picture. We went looking for crabs under the cliff rocks.

Does this picture remind you of of the area, did you go down any

lane like as said in my story.

PS, I took this old picture out of a Beside the Seaside Book.

Yours Brian :|

Edited by brian1941
wording

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6169509320898562849

Hi Stpetre, Here's a picture of Wigfalls shop.

Henry Wigfalls was well known for sale's, hire and repair of Televisions

and Electrical goods, besides the sale of furniture, Cycles and clothing.

In the late 60s, the area manager was looking after 20 shops in Sheffield and Chesterfield.

The Comany at that time owned 80 stores over an area stretching from York to Leicester.

During the early part of the decade, Wigfall's had more than 200,000

Black/White sets and 30,000 colour sets out on rental, that represented

a total investment in TV rental of £16.000.000.

At the end of 1972, the company succesfully negotiated in agreement

with Debenham Group to under take all rental operations with Debenham's

stores. Wigfall's was swallowed up by the Dixson Group.

Wigfall's was best known as Wiggies.

This shop looks like town Centre. When i got married we had a Tub twin

washer and a Hoover carpet sweeper. Great to trade with Wiggies. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 15:36 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6172850945659197265

Hi Peter, Been looking back on your thread regarding your holidays

in Staithes, back in 1947/8/9 i went there as a young lad but in the

1980s i and friends went to Redcar on a week holiday.

We made a special trip to Staithes, We took the bus into Middlesbrough

and i remember getting off in the small village with few shop on both

sides. We took a road to the right down a steepish lane then to the

right again half way down that would be to the beach.

We passed some very old cottages on the left on walked towards the

beach, the tide was out and we walk down a slope just like you see

in the picture. We went looking for crabs under the cliff rocks.

Does this picture remind you of of the area, did you go down any

lane like as said in my story.

PS, I took this old picture out of a Beside the Seaside Book.

Yours Brian :|

Hi Brian,

Redcar is just 50 minutes drive from my village, then Staithes a further half hour or so. My wife and I go regularly since we have lived up here the last four years. It has special memories for me. Had a great fish and chip meal a few weeks ago in the building in your photo, the 'Cod and Lobster' pub and, yes, your story does sum Staithes up. Lots of little pathways/lanes with cottages, leading down to the harbour.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Redcar is just 50 minutes drive from my village, then Staithes a further half hour or so. My wife and I go regularly since we have lived up here the last four years. It has special memories for me. Had a great fish and chip meal a few weeks ago in the building in your photo, the 'Cod and Lobster' pub and, yes, your story does sum Staithes up. Lots of little pathways/lanes with cottages, leading down to the harbour.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6176531741707416657

Hi Peter R, Here's a picture of a Suzuki GSX1400, I went to Brid a few weeks ago Peter,

to visit friends this machine is his.

Just to say i never saw a Lambretta over that w/end i couldn't believe it, does bikes appeal to you.

Yours Brian

Edited by brian1941
wording

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6176531741707416657

Hi Peter R, Here's a picture of a Suzuki GSX1400, I went to Brid a few weeks ago Peter,

Just to say i never saw a Lambretta over that w/end i couldn't believe it, does bikes appeal to you.

Yours Brian

Brian, go to Brid' the last weekend in October, it's the Lambretta Club of Great Britain's last show of the year, you can't move for them, and there are some fantastic scooters.

Hi Brian,

Peter.

Hi Peter, I have lived in Guisborough for 39 years since moving from Sheffield. Are you far away?

Brian, go to Brid' the last weekend in October, it's the Lambretta Club of Great Britain's last show of the year, you can't move for them, and there are some fantastic scooters.

---------------------

Hiya Geotom, Hope your well, glad for that info it is Peter thats

i think into Lambretta's George as he had one in his younger years.

I once asked him if he liked bikes - he didn't mind so i sent him the

picture.

Just a matter of intrest did you have a Lambretta of Motor bike.

PS, I have some more pics i'll add to that thread. Brian. :|

Yours Brian

Hello Brian and geotom. Nice bike. I do like motorcycles but my friends and me preferred motor scooters as we turned up for work in the offices at Firth Browns in a suit or jacket and slacks. We felt that scooters gave more weather protection at the time.

Here's me in 1962.

IMG_0491_zps55871da1.jpg

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 17:33 ----------

Hi Peter, I have lived in Guisborough for 39 years since moving from Sheffield. Are you far away?

Hi John,

My wife and I have lived in North Yorkshire for the last four years on the outskirts of a small village, just a mile south of the border with County Durham.

Have sent you a PM.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6177669998648002449

Hi George, Talking of Brid we went on sea front and the Seagulls were

dive bombing on people's fish and chips.

Did you read where that seagull killed them 2 puppies dogs and a

Tortoise.

This picture shows where it nicked a guys £500 iphone.:gag:

Any old Ball Inn players from 1970's sides and before thay were managed by John Rogers and others, we are been having a few reunions and more people are coming anyone interested next meet is at Bungalows and Bears ,Division street ( old fire station),people you might know,John ,Barry Whittingham,Cassy ,Olly,tony Newton,John Penney,Malcolm Hobson,Tony Butcher, Pete Wilson, Dave Drabble. 2pm start come along great afternoon reminiscing and a few beers!!

Used to help run Ball Inn football club think it would be late 60's . John Rodgers, Ron Green , Brian ? ( goalie) Fred Radford , memory fails at this stage.Fabulous memories from those days though.

Hiya, Mick don't think I know you but John was involved with the Ball before I played ,he came to the last reunion he is still involved in junior football ,come down and have a drink you will enjoy it ,hope to see you , Dave

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 18:52 ----------

Need to tell you the date 17/8/15 2 pm bungalows and bears division street