Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi everyone,

The Wellington was at the junction of Carlisle Road and Clevedon Street. It can be seen by typing in s14104 after clicking http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk I lived on Adsetts Street between 1943 and 1957, which runs parallel with Carlisle Road and crosses the bottom of Clevedon Street. My Registered User pic which you can see was taken in 1949 at the front of no.7 Adsetts Street, however I lived at no. 5.

Regards, Peter.

-----------

Hi Peter, Hope you ok, Most time when that name pops up Adsetts st i

get a picture in my mind of was there a betting shop on them back st,

Then i get thinking where Corner Pin is and just a little up Lyons St

on the left was there a betting shop there, i suspect its one or other. :suspect:

-----------

on the left was there a betting shop there, i suspect its one or other. :suspect:

I'm intrigued as to the whereabouts of the betting shop, as I lived in that area till 1975. Going up Lyons St. from the Corner Pin, the streets-all to the left- were; Forncett St. Alliance St. Earsham St. Thorndon Road, Edgar St and at the next junction at Petre St/Lyons St there was a betting shop, 'Dobson's. Maybe that was it?

-----------

Hi Brian, I'm ok thanks and trust you are.

All I can remember about betting is that when I told my mother, me always being mad about cars, about a big, sort of moss green, late 1940's Austin Sheerline, which was probably nearly new at the time, the one with the massive chrome headlights atop the mudguards which was parked on Adsetts Street outside the Victoria Hotel, she said in a tone that made me think he was a gangster or the like, ''That's t' bookie's''. I had no understanding of what that meant and let it pass me by. The Vic can be seen if you type in s15085 on here ... http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk The view is in the opposite direction to the Wellington pic which I posted earlier (396) , and Adsetts Street is just out of sight across Grimesthorpe Road to the left of the Vic down the short hill between the lamp post and the police box. Earl Marshall Road becomes Carlisle Road across Grimesthorpe Road and bears slightly right towards the Wellington on the left, just in shot I think in the distance.

Peter.

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 16:28 ----------

I'm intrigued as to the whereabouts of the betting shop, as I lived in that area till 1975. Going up Lyons St. from the Corner Pin, the streets-all to the left- were; Forncett St. Alliance St. Earsham St. Thorndon Road, Edgar St and at the next junction at Petre St/Lyons St there was a betting shop, 'Dobson's. Maybe that was it?

Hi stpetre,

I don't know of betting shops, but in the early 1950s my dad drove for Gillott's Bread based on Lyons Street. I sometimes went on his round with him in 'his' Bedford on Saturday. Loved it, and the fresh cream apple charlottes mmmm :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

hi Peter R, there must have been a bookies,either legal /illegal in 1961 in Grimesthorpe-as I asked mum to put me a bet on 'National race'-I went to play football in a match-the horse won-but the bet didn't get on !-won at 66-1 ? Also I believe that a Mr. Fidler was parson at Grimesthorpe Chapel discussed earlier,could be wrong, electrical were stocked there many moons ago.....I lived in the area circa 1953-1968

Was that green box outside the grimesthorpe club a cop box,I was told that there was once a phone in it for the coppers to ring headquarters,I never saw it open at anytime.does anyone know anything about it.

Was that green box outside the grimesthorpe club a cop box,I was told that there was once a phone in it for the coppers to ring headquarters,I never saw it open at anytime.does anyone know anything about it.

There are a series of books (now four) by former Attercliffe beat-bobby Martyn Johnson. They start with the title "What's Tha Up To..." He recalls from time to time using that police box and on one of the covers is pictured a local 'eccentric?' who used to dress as a policeman complete with helmet an truncheon outside the very cop-box, sanctioned by P.C. Johnson and colleagues. Some good copper stories from the 1960's about Sheffield's east end.

hi Peter R, there must have been a bookies,either legal /illegal in 1961 in Grimesthorpe-as I asked mum to put me a bet on 'National race'-I went to play football in a match-the horse won-but the bet didn't get on !-won at 66-1 ? Also I believe that a Mr. Fidler was parson at Grimesthorpe Chapel discussed earlier,could be wrong, electrical were stocked there many moons ago.....I lived in the area circa 1953-1968

Hi Wallace2720 - The Fidler family did run that chapel as you suggested but well before the '53, I don't know when they finished though as I had moved by then.

Hi wallace2720,

I assume the bookie had a table in the Victoria Hotel. I often saw his car outside in the early 1950s. Maybe the same bookie who missed your bet but still had a bad day in your time :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 09:49 ----------

Hi Lobos,

I did see the police beat man regularly in the late forties/early fifties as I could see the police box door from our front door at 5 Adsetts Street. Loved the big black Wolseley police cars which also turned up :). Seem to remember a small desk and a phone attached to the wall in the police box in the top side nearest Earl Marshall Road. The green circular metal building next to it was an Electricity Distribution Column. Not sure what it did exactly. Here's a pic of it after the police box and some houses on Grimesthorpe Road had gone. The notes show that the pic is the wrong way round.

However Picture Sheffield corrected the pic but not the notes when I had advised them.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01403&pos=1&action=zoom&id=46620

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian, I'm ok thanks and trust you are.

All I can remember about betting is that when I told my mother, me always being mad about cars, about a big, sort of moss green, late 1940's Austin Sheerline, which was probably nearly new at the time, the one with the massive chrome headlights atop the mudguards which was parked on Adsetts Street outside the Victoria Hotel, she said in a tone that made me think he was a gangster or the like, ''That's t' bookie's''. I had no understanding of what that meant and let it pass me by. The Vic can be seen if you type in s15085 on here ... http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk The view is in the opposite direction to the Wellington pic which I posted earlier (396) , and Adsetts Street is just out of sight across Grimesthorpe Road to the left of the Vic down the short hill between the lamp post and the police box. Earl Marshall Road becomes Carlisle Road across Grimesthorpe Road and bears slightly right towards the Wellington on the left, just in shot I think in the distance.

Peter.

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 16:28 ----------

Hi stpetre,

I don't know of betting shops, but in the early 1950s my dad drove for Gillott's Bread based on Lyons Street. I sometimes went on his round with him in 'his' Bedford on Saturday. Loved it, and the fresh cream apple charlottes mmmm :)

Peter.

-------------

Yes Peter and all, Had seen that picture befor s15085 still a loverly view

and i see them cottages are still there on the right, wonder how old

they are now.

--------------

I asked my brother about the betting shop just up from Corner pin,

he thinks he can remember one a corner coming out onto Lyons St.

He did some odd jobs around that area and mostly on Harliston St

So i'am stuck with that? :hihi:

A friend in Australia is asking about Albert Parr. When and how did he die?

Hi Peter R I think the bookie was called Dick Melon he was a relative of my late husband and Sheila's (rf2690) dad. Jean J

Hi Peter R I think the bookie was called Dick Melon he was a relative of my late husband and Sheila's (rf2690) dad. Jean J

Hi Jean J,

Thanks for the info Jean. If this was the gentleman I referred to, I recall speaking to him once when I was about 8 or 9 in the early 1950's. I was intrigued with his Austin Sheerline and was taking a close look at the hubcaps when this strong voice from behind me said ''What are you doing !'' I was honestly not intending to nick them :hihi: and told him I was just admiring his car. He seemed to accept this, which was true, honest, and climbed in and drove off. Just one of my favorite memories from all those years ago :)

Peter.