Grimesthorpe Part 3

Was there some sort of church building on the left going up grimesthorpe road just about where the present jehovah witness place is now,I worked for wigfalls then,I can remember going there to pick up some hoovers the building seemed to be in amongst the terraced houses,it had a sort of a balcony upstairs where they stored all the hoover parts...

Was there some sort of church building on the left going up grimesthorpe road just about where the present jehovah witness place is now,I worked for wigfalls then,I can remember going there to pick up some hoovers the building seemed to be in amongst the terraced houses,it had a sort of a balcony upstairs where they stored all the hoover parts...

The Wigfall's place was on Hunsley Street between Moss Street and Carlisle Road. The J.W. place is off Petre St near Botham Street and I think the 'church building' you might be referring to is the former Latter Day Saint's (Mormon) chapel at the Lyons Road/ Ellesmere Road junction.

The Wigfall's place was on Hunsley Street between Moss Street and Carlisle Road. The J.W. place is off Petre St near Botham Street and I think the 'church building' you might be referring to is the former Latter Day Saint's (Mormon) chapel at the Lyons Road/ Ellesmere Road junction.

It wasn't far from the old bowling green pub as I can remember all the staff walking down the hill to that pub at dinner time,can you emagine that happening nowadays..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6131702839214107921

Hi Lobos, Yes thats correct about the church on the left and it is Burngreave

Vestey Hall, and the road leads up on Grimesthorpe Rd.

I remember my mum sending me to that Wigfalls repair shop you

mentioned, on the corner in the old days was Co' Op.

----------------------

Type in http://www.picturesheffield.com s10595

See the old Co' Op on corner

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 18:57 ----------

only going back to 70's Bri,Wild's wet fish shop,newsagents was a launderette before that,Hymans furniture shop double window,myers sandwich shop was also a double window,post office and wallpaper shop then later an hardware shop Terry's i think it was called.Only 6 there.

-----------

Hi Sheila, You just about got them all but i remember a butchers shop

in between i think Hymans and Sandwhich shop.

Not sure yet if the butchers shop was Mattocks, i've got to thinking

the wet fish shop also sold fruit and veg on the opposite side of the shop. :huh:

Edited by brian1941

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6131702839214107921

Hi Lobos, Yes thats correct about the church on the left and it is Burngreave

Vestey Hall, and the road leads up on Grimesthorpe Rd.

I remember my mum sending me to that Wigfalls repair shop you

mentioned, on the corner in the old days was Co' Op.

----------------------

Type in http://www.picturesheffield.com s10595

See the old Co' Op on corner

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 18:57 ----------

-----------

Hi Sheila, You just about got them all but i remember a butchers shop

in between i think Hymans and Sandwhich shop.

Not sure yet if the butchers shop was Mattocks, i've got to thinking

the wet fish shop also sold fruit and veg on the opposite side of the shop. :huh:

Your right Bri the butchers was Radfords don't know why I forgot that,senior moment.:hihi:

Hi Lobos - There was a church building on the left going up Grimesthorpe Rd, it was on the opposite side of Grimesthorpe School and a little higher up. It had row housing above it and below it.

Hi Lobos - There was a church building on the left going up Grimesthorpe Rd, it was on the opposite side of Grimesthorpe School and a little higher up. It had row housing above it and below it.

It was Grimesthorpe Rd Primitive Methodist Church opened in 1930's closed about 1967. I went there once or twice for sunday school anniversaries I think while I was at Reform Chapel.

It was Grimesthorpe Rd Primitive Methodist Church opened in 1930's closed about 1967. I went there once or twice for sunday school anniversaries I think while I was at Reform Chapel.

Yes you're right I've just had a look on picture Sheffield and I think that is the name of the church,I know they only did hoovers there when wigfalls had the building, so that size of building would have been ideal for them,Its a long time ago and I was only about sixteen or seventeen at the time,I used to work as a van lad for wigfalls and any hoovers we brought back in we had to take them there..I can remember the van driver used to leave me to unload the van while he went for his liquid lunch in the pub down the road..

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 13:53 ----------

I can remember one pub on a corner there on grimesthorpe road I can still remember the landlady's name a right old battle axe I think Lilly Bodington or Bollington,she would not serve me and my mates she said I don't like long haired yobos in my pub:mad:

Yes you're right I've just had a look on picture Sheffield and I think that is the name of the church,I know they only did hoovers there when wigfalls had the building, so that size of building would have been ideal for them,Its a long time ago and I was only about sixteen or seventeen at the time,I used to work as a van lad for wigfalls and any hoovers we brought back in we had to take them there..I can remember the van driver used to leave me to unload the van while he went for his liquid lunch in the pub down the road..

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 13:53 ----------

I can remember one pub on a corner there on grimesthorpe road I can still remember the landlady's name a right old battle axe I think Lilly Bodington or Bollington,she would not serve me and my mates she said I don't like long haired yobos in my pub:mad:

Hi Lobos,it was the Wellington your talking about.Your right they did call her Lily Boddington or diamond Lil as we called her.But the pub was on Carlisle rd.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 20:40 ----------

Cant recall Grimesthorpe Methodist church being used by Wigfalls.Only one i knew was on Hunsley St where i lived.

there was a sweet shop next to the post office

Hi Lobos,it was the Wellington your talking about.Your right they did call her Lily Boddington or diamond Lil as we called her.But the pub was on Carlisle rd.

Cant recall Grimesthorpe Methodist church being used by Wigfalls.Only one i knew was on Hunsley St where i lived.

Yes, the Wigfall's place was on Hunsley Street, a repair shop, not a retail store. There is a photo of it,- as a church- on Picture Sheffield type in: s05005.

Hi everyone,

The Wellington was on Carlisle Road as rf2690 says, and at the junction with Clevedon Street. It can be seen by typing in s14104 after clicking http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk I lived on Adsetts Street between 1943 and 1957, which runs parallel with Carlisle Road and crosses the bottom of Clevedon Street. My Registered User pic which you can see was taken in 1949 at the front of no.7 Adsetts Street, however I lived at no. 5.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR