Grimesthorpe Part 3

Just to let you know the sad news that George Broadhead senior died peacefully on 4th Dec 2014. Funeral to be held on Monday 22nd Dec at Shiregreen cemetery, 12.45 followed by internment, family flowers only but donations can be made for Alzheimer's society to John Fairest, Penistone road north, Wadsley Bridge, RIP Grandad B x

very nice found the picture quite haunting to be honest![/quote

Why does the place frighten you pigeon, did you ever go in the place

Edited by brian1941
wording

very nice found the picture quite haunting to be honest![/quote

Why does the place frighten you pigeon, did you ever go in the place

WENT in when it was empty and falling down was scared to death a tramp lived on the stairwell half way up :hihi:bad memories i suppose!

WENT in when it was empty and falling down was scared to death a tramp lived on the stairwell half way up :hihi:bad memories i suppose!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6091664570835362353

Hi Pigeon, As we all no this is what become of the Building.

How is the Sheffield arm pub going is there any loggers in yet. haha

Edited by brian1941

can anyone help I was born on upwell st opposite the Sheffield arms now its a tyre fitting business I lived next to dennis Collins junk shop the entrance to our your was on chambers lane at the entrance was a stable I was told they called it canary island is there any truth in this name if so why the brook ran behind the yard also we had a stream running through our cellar under the slabs

I haven't lived in the area-Carwood- or indeed England since 1986 but I'm curious after looking at Google maps. What happened to the little 'Estate' of houses that used to be on Wensley St? Surely they were only built in the 70's.

can anyone help I was born on upwell st opposite the Sheffield arms now its a tyre fitting business I lived next to dennis Collins junk shop the entrance to our your was on chambers lane at the entrance was a stable I was told they called it canary island is there any truth in this name if so why the brook ran behind the yard also we had a stream running through our cellar under the slabs

Hiya, yes there was a canary island as my grandad used to live there and my great uncle used to talk about it but when I've mentioned it on here before nobody has come back with anything and sadly that generation of my family have died. It would be nice to see some pictures of where my dad's family lived, good luck.

They are making fast progress on ARMS now new doors windows builders all over it cant wait to see how it ends up?[/QU

-------------

Just heard the Sheffield Arms to become a Premier shop in

Upwell. :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 18:25 ----------

Hi Brian,

'fraid I don't recall the names. Having said that, I'm much better with faces :)

I lived the first 14 years of my life on Adsetts Street, leaving for Shiregreen in 1957. Maybe I would have missed them?

Peter.

--------------------

Hi Peter R, Hope your ok, just noticed F browns topic is closed again.

Wish you a good Christmas be intouch later or in 2015. :hihi:

They are making fast progress on ARMS now new doors windows builders all over it cant wait to see how it ends up?[/QU

-------------

Just heard the Sheffield Arms to become a Premier shop in

Upwell. :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 18:25 ----------

--------------------

Hi Peter R, Hope your ok, just noticed F browns topic is closed again.

Wish you a good Christmas be intouch later or in 2015. :hihi:

Have sent you a PM Brian.

Have sent you a PM Brian.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6096419281343818721

Hi Peter, Thanks for that job earlier, thought i'd send you this picture just to see how well

you might no your pubs in Sheffield.

This was taken in 1966 in pond hill or pond st whichever, it was Tennants Beer but can you

name the place, open to anyone?

Edited by brian1941
Wording

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6096419281343818721

Hi Peter, Thanks for that job earlier, thought i'd send you this picture just to see how well

you might no your pubs in Sheffield.

This was taken in 1966 in pond hill or pond st whichever, it was Tennants Beer but can you

name the place, open to anyone?

Hi Brian,

It's the Lyceum Hotel on Pond Hill. Pond Street runs across the pic in front of the light coloured building and Flat Street runs between that building and the dark coloured building behind it, left of pic. The Lyceum Theatre is a few hundred yards further back so presumably there is some connection with the names due to their close proximity.

In 1977 I worked in the Council Housing Dept. buildings which were opposite the pub. Never went in that pub though but occasionaly went in the Surrey on Surrey Street when I moved into the newly opened 'Egg Box' which was the New Town Hall at that time.

Don't think I'll know many Sheffield pubs though as from age 17 most of my time was spent either at work or on my Lambretta with my girlfriend who lived in Bramley, Rotherham. She became my first wife in 1965, the year before the pic, and we set up home in Bramley. Therefore I left Sheffield in 1965, but still worked there on and off. Have also lived in Worksop and have lived on the edge of a small village in North Yorkshire about half a mile from the County Durham border for the last 4 years. I regularly visit family and friends in Sheffield and look around Grimesthorpe and the old places.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

It's the Lyceum Hotel on Pond Hill. Pond Street runs across the pic in front of the light coloured building and Flat Street runs between that building and the dark coloured building behind it, left of pic. The Lyceum Theatre is a few hundred yards further back so presumably there is some connection with the names due to their close proximity.

In 1977 I worked in the Council Housing Dept. buildings which were opposite the pub. Never went in that pub though but occasionaly went in the Surrey on Surrey Street when I moved into the newly opened 'Egg Box' which was the New Town Hall at that time.

Don't think I'll know many Sheffield pubs though as from age 17 most of my time was spent either at work or on my Lambretta with my girlfriend who lived in Bramley, Rotherham. She became my first wife in 1965, the year before the pic, and we set up home in Bramley. Therefore I left Sheffield in 1965, but still worked there on and off. Have also lived in Worksop and have lived on the edge of a small village in North Yorkshire about half a mile from the County Durham border for the last 4 years. I regularly visit family and friends in Sheffield and look around Grimesthorpe and the old places.

Peter.

----------------

That was intresting reading Peter, the Lyceum Hotel as you said could

have had some connection and them shinny tiles on the outside walls

bet yer could comb yer hair through them.

Youv'e certainly move about and its like the countryside, and the

Lambretta's i remember them in the 60s although i never could aford

one i spent most of my little money in the pubs.

In 1970, i was working 12hrs shifts days/nights at Firth Browns, after

my Deductions i was taking about £19 for day shift and £22 for nights.

Those were the days. PM, Thanks for your PM. Brian. :hihi::hihi: