Grimesthorpe Part 3

born on adsetts st and lived there for many years then moved to carlisle road moved to woodhouse in about 1965,a pal lived at the bowling green and ive fond memories of my chidhood in grimesthorpe,can anyone remember you could find mercury at the bottom of bland street if you scraped the pitch out from between the road cobblestones

born on adsetts st and lived there for many years then moved to carlisle road moved to woodhouse in about 1965,a pal lived at the bowling green and ive fond memories of my chidhood in grimesthorpe,can anyone remember you could find mercury at the bottom of bland street if you scraped the pitch out from between the road cobblestones

Hi kinjuro,

I lived at no. 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 until 1957 when my family then moved to Shiregreen for an extra bedroom.

Coincidentally, my daughter and her family live at Woodhouse.

Can't remember anything about mercury, but certainly remember making pitch balls on hot sunny days. :)

regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi kinjuro,

I lived at no. 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 until 1957 when my family then moved to Shiregreen for an extra bedroom.

Coincidentally, my daughter and her family live at Woodhouse.

Can't remember anything about mercury, but certainly remember making pitch balls on hot sunny days. :)

regards, Peter.

small world , i lived at no6 on adsetts st with the parkers on one side and the flemings on the other. i believe the mercury was the result of a spilliage at the steelworks lab just up bland street some years earlier

small world , i lived at no6 on adsetts st with the parkers on one side and the flemings on the other. i believe the mercury was the result of a spilliage at the steelworks lab just up bland street some years earlier

Yes, small world!

Didn't hear the labs story, but didn't usually play that far down.

I seem to remember the name Parker across the street and definately remember Mrs. Flemming. I recall that there were at least two Flemming lads but may be wrong after all this time. One of them, who was a little older than me and would be about 17 at the time, had a Norton motorbike. All that sticks in my mind is the racket when he started it up one day. Later in life I realise the silencer must have given up. :hihi:

Were you there around my time of 1943/57?

yes lived there at that time but i think the motor cycle may have been mine from about 1953, one flemming son went to america but she had three fine daughters, josie elsie and i think linda, the parker had a few kids i remember roy who i used to play with as a lad.

regards ray

ps do you recall the large static water tank at the junction of adsetts and bland street

yes lived there at that time but i think the motor cycle may have been mine from about 1953, one flemming son went to america but she had three fine daughters, josie elsie and i think linda, the parker had a few kids i remember roy who i used to play with as a lad.

regards ray

ps do you recall the large static water tank at the junction of adsetts and bland street

The motorcycle must be yours then Ray.

I'd be 9 going on 10 in 1953 and don't recall any of the names. Maybe they were older than me.

Irene Carless lived to the left of the entry to your yard I recall. You may be interested in my post in response to her son. It's on part 2 of the thread, pg 246 post number 4902 0f 23/8/12.

I don't recall the static water tank. Maybe it was filled in by the time I would be aware.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

That would be (going towards town) either Norfolk Arms which was nearest the canteen and opposite the bottom of Carwood Road and at the junction of Carlisle Street East and Princess Street. Or then there was a pub at the junction of Norroy Street. Can't remember the name and can't find a pic, but it was opposite Firth Browns 36 gate, through which my offices were when I was there in 1959. see on http://www.picturesheffield.com refs s21850 and c01484

Peter.

------------

Hiya Peter R, When i spoke about a pub on corner of Norroy St i'am

thinking the Nelson would that be it.

Can you remember the post office on Saville st it was near or next

door to Firth Browns Stainless Steel just passed Norroy St .:| Brian

------------

Hiya Peter R, When i spoke about a pub on corner of Norroy St i'am

thinking the Nelson would that be it.

Can you remember the post office on Saville st it was near or next

door to Firth Browns Stainless Steel just passed Norroy St .:| Brian

Hi Brian,

Regarding the Nelson pub at the corner of Saville Street East and Norroy Street. I'm sure there was a pub/hotel there but am unsure about the name, and can't find it in this location listed on the internet. Maybe someone else can advise us ??

As an office junior in 1959, I was often sent for cigarettes across the road to the post office you mention. Most of the couple of dozen people working in the office smoked in the office, Park Drive, Woodbines, Capstan Full Strength etc. I'm still waiting for the passive smoking to get me, as I haven't smoked for 35 years :(. Got to admit my five a day Park Drive at age 15 though, but in the bogs not the office :hihi:

Peter

Edited by PeterR

Hi kinjuro,peterR and brian1941,i was born at 16 bland st in the alms houses.My gramma owned the corner shop at 21,adsetts st,i am one of the Suter clan,Bryan and i worked together at Riley's transport,intake,in the sixties.( Sooty)great to be in touch with you all.clydesdale.

Hi kinjuro,peterR and brian1941,i was born at 16 bland st in the alms houses.My gramma owned the corner shop at 21,adsetts st,i am one of the Suter clan,Bryan and i worked together at Riley's transport,intake,in the sixties.( Sooty)great to be in touch with you all.clydesdale.

I don't think that 16 Bland St was the almshouses as they were Lincoln Place, I was born at 46 Bland St and lived there till demolition, as far as I can remember 16 was a terraced house like ours

i remember mrs suters shop well and if im right her mother was allways sat in the back of the shop, also you could go any time of night and get served at the side door.i seem to remember one of the suter lads getting badly hurt on the english steel roof which we used to climb on from adsetts street.

----------------

Hi Clydesdale, Are you related to Maureen suter as I knew her when they had the prince pub.