My dog got stung by a bee

my dog got stung by a bee/wasp today....or she had eaten one

her eyes swelled up and she came out in huge hives, had to take her to emergency vet....

anyhow, i was wondering if they is any kind of antihistamine for dogs i could give her if it happends again?

My dog got stung by wasp/bee, I just gave her antihistamine that I use.(Cetirzine Hydrochloride) I had to give her two to stop the swelling, bless her. She looked sorry for herself for a while till the swelling went down then she was back outside chasing the bees and wasps again, I did check with the vet when she did go for her check up and they said it was fine.My dog is about 22kg

lol yes mine did too, all her eyes has swollen....she looked more like a bull dog then a staff..

but thankyou, i'll check them ones out

If you know which the sting is it can be treated easily at home.

Bee stings are usually left in as the action of stinging pulls the sting from the bee's abdomen as it pulls away - it has a barb on it. A bee sting can be neutralised by a solution of bicarbonate of soda and water with cotton wool, but you also have to make sure the sting has been removed as it will still pump venom into the sting site. If you can get your pet to sit still enough, and if you can see the sting attached to its sac, use some tweezers to gently grasp the sting below the sac and pull it out carefully, then dab with bicarb solution to start neutralising it.

Wasps don't tend to leave a sting in the sting site but it can be treated with some diluted-down vinegar (even vinegar on its own won't hurt if it's external) with cotton wool.

Easiest way to remember it is bees - bicarb.

Handy idea to have a few vinegar sachets and twists of bicarb in cling-film stored in your first aid boxes as the above also applies to humans for sting neutralisation.

The thing you have to watch most for is where the sting is and how it swells. If it's around the face or neck the swelling can close off airways and cause suffocation if not treated quickly. It's also possible for the animal to have an anaphylactic reaction, which can happen really quickly. The following link might be useful to some of you:

http://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/what-to-do-when-wasp-bee-sting-dog-adult.html

Edited by Timewarper

Piriton, ( not piriteze ) can be used, vets use this and do dispense it also. Shouldn't use others really and don't say it's for a dog when you buy it. However the dose does have to be right and I'm sure your vet would calculate that for you if you asked