Fishing in hillsbrough/middlewood

i live just next to middlewood tram stop, been fishing the don a few times as you go out the city but not really keen on it or know how to fish it that well as im still a beginner. Just wondering if anyone can recommend any spots this side of town that are easy to get to on foot or by public transport.

cheers

Can't tell if you want to stick with the river or would accept fishing a pond or not, but the best venue that is closest to you is probably loxley fishery, the bus takes you about a ten minute walk awaY from it.

I can't tell you which bus it is or the Times etc but it's not too far from the admiral Rodney pub.

I think it's a lovely mixed fishery with good fishing and I find it very picturesque sat there.

yer i dont really mind, when i was younger i used to fish ponds but that was near hull, not really used to sheffield yet. I would keep fishing the don but it just seems like alot of hard work

Definitely try loxley fishery then, it's got some lovely fish in there ,

Ecclesfield Pond or Howbrook Dam at High Green

if you're in S6 I think you can get a permit for the pond at the bottom of herries road, it used to be S5's only when I lived at Stannington, but I'm sure they've extended it now...

other than that, there isn't really much accessible in the area

there's cow gap at dungy but the buses aren't what you'd call frequent

there's always the flask, but to be honest it isn't the easiest of venues, I spent the first 2 years of my fishing life failing to catch at the flask... that all changed one march when I discovered they stocked thousands of trout just so they could open it as a 'trout' fishery before the coarse season began

I would suggest hillsbro park, but to be fair, I couldn't sit there fishing with a thousand people walking past or chucking bread/rocks in

loxley is a nice enough fishery, but it's a pretty big walk from any bus stop

there used to be a pond just before you get to the rodney, right down in the valley called mill dam, used to be full of small to medium sized carp & some whacking chub - sadly last time I went the gates were locked & didn't look like they were gonna be open again...

if anyone has any updates on mill dam, I'd be pleased to hear them, I caught my first ever tench there when it belonged to barworth flockton when I was a teenager, used to walk down thru the woods with just a swingtip rod, rucksack of tackle & bait box of worms

not really surprised you didn't enjoy the river, it never really fishes well until autumn & winter when there's some proper flow

it's full of fish & yes it can be hard work, but the rewards are so worthwhile

I've been fishing the don autumn & winter for at least 25 years now

in fact I seem to have become a 2 species angler.... tench in spring & summer, grayling in autumn / winter

Not sure that they have extended Herries Pond to S6 postcode but I can tell you there will be a long waiting list to join

yer i dont really mind, when i was younger i used to fish ponds but that was near hull, not really used to sheffield yet. I would keep fishing the don but it just seems like alot of hard work

The don is good if you don't mind walking

! As for loxely its my favourite fishery in Sheffield ! Make sure you have 8-10lb line as they're snags and even if you are fishing for small fish you most likely will hook a carp at some point ! Biggest carp I had from their was 16 lb 4 oz I caught it margin fishing with 2 ml pellet feed and 6 ml pellet on the hook ! Every peg has some object to fish to ! If you are near the lillies try a small bomb with peperami on the hook and feed small peices of meat flavoured with groundbait and abit of hemp for carp and possibly a barbel !

Goodluck

if you're in S6 I think you can get a permit for the pond at the bottom of herries road, it used to be S5's only when I lived at Stannington, but I'm sure they've extended it now...

other than that, there isn't really much accessible in the area

there's cow gap at dungy but the buses aren't what you'd call frequent

there's always the flask, but to be honest it isn't the easiest of venues, I spent the first 2 years of my fishing life failing to catch at the flask... that all changed one march when I discovered they stocked thousands of trout just so they could open it as a 'trout' fishery before the coarse season began

I would suggest hillsbro park, but to be fair, I couldn't sit there fishing with a thousand people walking past or chucking bread/rocks in

loxley is a nice enough fishery, but it's a pretty big walk from any bus stop

there used to be a pond just before you get to the rodney, right down in the valley called mill dam, used to be full of small to medium sized carp & some whacking chub - sadly last time I went the gates were locked & didn't look like they were gonna be open again...

if anyone has any updates on mill dam, I'd be pleased to hear them, I caught my first ever tench there when it belonged to barworth flockton when I was a teenager, used to walk down thru the woods with just a swingtip rod, rucksack of tackle & bait box of worms

not really surprised you didn't enjoy the river, it never really fishes well until autumn & winter when there's some proper flow

it's full of fish & yes it can be hard work, but the rewards are so worthwhile

I've been fishing the don autumn & winter for at least 25 years now

in fact I seem to have become a 2 species angler.... tench in spring & summer, grayling in autumn / winter

I believe it's sti 'll open dars

my dad said he had a wander down there last week and was just one angler fishing, as he was planning on taking the grandson down to try and get him into fishing, will try and get some more info for you

cheers mate

it's a lovely water & there were some good fish in it, I used to take my oldest son down when he was interested (he's 18 now so other interests have dragged him away)

nice & narrow so the fish are never too far away & very often right under your feet in the deepest part of your peg, it was probably 4ft deep right next to the bank last time I went