How much would you pay for this?

My previous thread with this question was deleted by the mods because they said it was advertising a job.

I am NOT advertising a job or looking for companies to give me quotes, I'm looking for advice and comments to help me make a decision about hiring an electrician, so please don't delete this!

Basically, I have some electrical work that needs doing (to fit new plug sockets, new consumer unit and 6 new ceiling spotlights). I've had quotes from 2 electricians, both Part P registered, and one was more than twice the price of the other so I'm a bit confused. I don't want to be ripped off, but I don't want to hire someone really cheap and have them do a rubbish job either! I've been told it's usually around £300 to have a new consumer unit fitted...can anyone tell me what they've paid for having new plug sockets fitted or for having ceiling spotlights replaced, to give me an idea which quote is realistic? I've arranged to get quotes from a couple of other electricians, but I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's had similar work done.

If you commented on my previous post, I saw all of the replies up to about 4pm so no need to reply again :-)

whoever you pick get some references from people they have done work for.

or use a website like "findatrade" to find a recommended tradesman

A fuse board would be £250-300 fitted as I recently had one in my newly bought house. As for spot lights I'm unsure but a light fitting would vary from £20-25 per light but hopefully spots won't cost that each. Regarding sockets I'm unsure. Try Lee on 07833 997780

I've paid about 1k for a similar amount of work but needed quite a lot of additional wiring. You might find the difference in quotes is one guy fitting a new circuit and another just adding a load of spurs.

Thanks everyone! It does sound like the higher quote was massively overpriced.

Edited by rosaespanola