ECU unlocking??

Hello.

Does anyone know where I could get an ECU unlocked in or around Sheffield?

Thank you.

You'll need more information than that, some ECU's can be re-flashed/re-mapped and some cannot.

Further to that just because someone can do it doesn't mean you should take your vehicle there for work.

You'll have to do some research online to find out which companies are well recommended by other owners.

A dodgy remap can very quickly kill your engine.

Sorry, it's for my boyfriend, not for me. I've no idea what re-flashed/re-mapped means!

It seems the car has already had a dodgy remap before he bought it. He's got it booked it for a proper remap in a few weeks but apparently he needs the new ECU unlocking first. The place that's doing the remap don't do unlocking.

They should be able to tell you what garage can unlock it then.

It sounds like something thats quite specific to that make/model of car.

I've just been reading a post on the VW website about this, although dated 2011:

"Note that some newer VAG engines, particularly the diesels, now have encryption on the ECU. This means that the bluefin remap doesn't work and the ECU needs to be pulled out to be re-flashed.

I am currently going through this process with my MY2011 Superb 103kw TDI. It is causing some headaches because the ECU had to be sent away to someone with the equipment to do the re-flash. Then it still wasn't working properly (not sure the exact issue as the local dealer wasn't too specific on this) and the ECU has to be sent away again. Hopefully superchips UK will be able to troubleshoot what the exact problem is.

All in all a lot of hassle. :thumbdown:

Had I known about the issues with encryption in advance, I would most likely have left things as standard."

Perhaps the makers are trying to deter tuning mods?

I've just been reading a post on the VW website about this, although dated 2011:

"Note that some newer VAG engines, particularly the diesels, now have encryption on the ECU. This means that the bluefin remap doesn't work and the ECU needs to be pulled out to be re-flashed.

I am currently going through this process with my MY2011 Superb 103kw TDI. It is causing some headaches because the ECU had to be sent away to someone with the equipment to do the re-flash. Then it still wasn't working properly (not sure the exact issue as the local dealer wasn't too specific on this) and the ECU has to be sent away again. Hopefully superchips UK will be able to troubleshoot what the exact problem is.

All in all a lot of hassle. :thumbdown:

Had I known about the issues with encryption in advance, I would most likely have left things as standard."

Perhaps the makers are trying to deter tuning mods?

It certainly seems a wise idea. It prevents the nutters remapping an engine, blowing it to bits and then trying to make awarranty claim.