2015/16 recommended tradesmen MEGATHREAD no advertising/self promotion

Hi can anyone recommend a good roofer i'm in the Deepcar area. We've had plans drawn up and planning approved to raise the height of our bungalows roof so we can use as an upper floor bedroom.

We're having to do the work in stages to fit our budget so we are looking for someone to replace the roof and structure as a starting point (including velux windows).

Any help would be really appreciated

Hi all, I've just bought my first house and in the process for doing it up! So, i'm thinking about converting the attic as the same time! It's an avg two bed terrace in S7.

Can someone recommend a decent company/builder that can do it?

Btw - Planning permission is required (as stated in the solicitors paperwork when I bought the property due to the area its in, however most house on the same street has had an attic conversion done, so shouldnt be a problem).

Many thanks, Mus.

Thanks Michael Mitchell for the excellent decorating job on two of my bedrooms.

I would recommend this tradesman to anyone seeking a thorough and efficent job, no mess, no hassle, competitive prices. I've ditched my paintbrushes. See you in September! :)

Just wanted to recommend Jeff Smith of Joinery Solutions. He has recently replaced all our internal doors. Jeff came when he said he would did a great job; he is a perfectionist with a good eye for design. He is obviously highly skilled in carpentry and joinery and exhibits a passion for his work. Such a relief to find someone like Jeff, he is a good, honest guy and not only that - he cleans up afterwards! We will definitely be using him time and time again.

We have recently had a double basement conversion carried out by Whitecliffe Builders and could not be more happy with the result.

They completed a full tanking (with membrane and pump) of an existing cellar, having dug down to achieve an enviable height for an "underground" space. They created a window in the front of the house, lowering the patio for additional light, and replaced small windows (just above ground) to the rear. Plumbing and electrics were undertaken to leave us with a brightly lit, dry, and extremely comfortable additional reception room, laundry room, and WC. The staircase was reconstructed, plastering throughout, and an internal wall removed. Plenty of work!

From the outset it was clear that Eric really cares about his clients. He visited us a number of times during the planning stages, and put us at ease that we were going to be very well looked after. He worked expertly with our architect, and the council authorities. The initial quote reflected the final amount due, in spite of minor adjustments and complications along the way. Eric visited our project at least once a day to check on his team, and to liaise with us. He, and his men, made my wife feel comfortable with the whole process, especially important when I was working away.

We had six of Whitecliffe's men on site during the course of the build. Led by Martin, for whom nothing was too much trouble, they arrived when they said they would, worked hard (taking minimal breaks) and always left the site clean, tidy, and safe each day. In addition to completing our project exactly as we hoped, they also managed to sign for parcels, feed the cat, and keep me entertained with what they describe as humour.

This is my first post on Sheffield Forum, and I do so because Whitecliffe Builders are - quite rightly - proud of their reputation online and offline. They have a lot of work in our part of Sheffield (they were recommended to us by our neighbours for whom they had carried out a similar project 10 years ago!) and I now fully understand why.

I'm happy to recommend Whitecliffe Builders (0114 255 7522) unreservedly.

Thank you for your recommendation rjlongman.

It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to join the Forum and post such glowing feedback.

It was a pleasure to work with you and your family.

Whitecliffes.

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 11:27 ----------

I just had loft renovation works undertaken by Whitecliffes Builders. They have done a brilliant job. Eric the manager is very friendly, reliable and organized. Nigel and Owen had done everything properly and fast. I really like their can-do attitude. They turned up on time every morning even the snowy days and kept the house tidy. It’s been pleasure to have them around for three weeks. We would definitely be using the team again and have recommended to our friends.

Thank you for your feedback Lucy.

It was a pleasure to know you and to work with you on your building project.

We hope to work with you again in the future.

Whitecliffes.

Can anyone recommend a good cat flap fitter? I've had one quote which seems quite high but also the can't do it until September!

Thanks in advance ?

It is a simple job unless the upvc panel is metal-lined, which most aren't. The other option would be to replace the entire panel with one that is pre-cut. What kind of door is it?

It's an exterior front door with full panel. I'm sure we could do it ourselves if we knew if metal lined or not but have no idea!

Make a small hole with a drill somewhere in the area you want to remove. If it goes through like a knife through butter, there is no metal. There will probably be 20mm of thermal padding between the two layers of upvc which I sealed with white carpet tape before fitting the flap. I'm sure there must be kits available to fit. It really is quite scary how little there is between you and the outside!

Hi can anyone recommend a rendered in sheffield using monocouche please?

I will need to see examples of their work, so local projects would be helpful.

Many Thanks

I can recommend an outstanding guy who has done three houses on my road but he's very busy generally. Worth a try though. I'll PM you if you're interested.

Hi can highly recommend Shaw plastering Services Ltd

07776300691. We had our extension covered in monocouche and are very pleased with it. They were not the cheapest quote we had but very professional, came as and when they said. Did the job and left us pretty clean after (apart from the splashes of plaster but that's to be expected- it cleaned up). Love the finished effect.