Sheffield - Lest we forget.

Today the 4th August 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the start of one of the worst wars in history, a war that would tragically cost the lives of in excess of 800,000 young British soldiers or up to 2% of our countries population. Extremely young men were drafted up to serve for our country, many at an age that in this day and age you still be considered adolescent by most and sadly despite some returning home as fine men many didn't make it back to the ones they loved.

I lost family relatives in WW1 and I am sure many of you lot did too. So I hope you don't mind mind me taking this opportunity for us all to remember our own relatives who sadly didn't return home as well as the hundreds of thousands of others who didn't.

To our nations brave soldiers, 100 Years on but never ever forgotten, we wouldn't be who and where we are now if it wasn't for you! May you rest in peace eternally.

Note to moderators - I opted to place this thread in this particular section as many a Sheffield Forum member probably lost a family member in WW1, further more it is highly possible that our fine City wouldn't be what it is today had it not been for the actions of our fine soldiers. I feel that such a post is relevant and deserves it's position on the Sheffield Discussion section as opposed to the general section of the forum.

Edited by peakexpat

Hear Hear, well said. .................... We must never ever forget their sacrifice.

There is to be a 1 hour "lights Out" tonight

Between 10pm and 11pm.

it is hoped that people through out the country

will switch their lights off at this time, perhaps just have a single candle or light as remembrance to all those who served in that terrible war

Edited by bazjea

Hard to belive so many young men gave up there lives to save others.

Hard to belive so many young men gave up there lives to save others.

We will remember them.

Hopefully everyone will take at least a moment to think of the millions who answered the call of their country 100 years ago today, with many never to return home. It was supposed to be the war to end all wars, and we have been in many many conflicts since, but nothing as horrific and demanding as that. So 100 years on, the least I can do is throw a salute up (and raise a glass of port) the soldiers, sailors and marines who answered that call many many moons ago, and my fellow serviceman who have done so across the decades since, so that we have the freedoms we enjoy today. I do fear that many of those who lay down their life would regret doing so if they saw the state of society and the world as a whole today though.

Will leave you with a few words that give me a tingle every time I read or hear them...anyone who has been to a military funeral, repatriation or even if you have been to a remembrance service will agree I am sure.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Between 10pm and 11pm.

will switch their lights off at this time, perhaps just have a single candle or light as remembrance to all those who served in that terrible war

Millions will remember them!

My grandson and I will light a candle in remembrance and both give thanks that men like them existed and still exist today.

Between 10pm and 11pm.

I go to bed every night at ten so will light my candle between 9 & 10.

A friend of mine just sent me a photograph taken from the Ringinglow area looking down into Sheffield. It is overwhelming to see the lack of light, it is wonderful to see that after all this time we still appreciate and respect all of the sad sacrifices that were made in order to protect the freedom and welfare of our country and it's citizens. Humbled and proud tonight, well done Sheffield. Lest we forget!

Clearly you can't see Pitsmoor from Ringinglow then, because I took the dog out at 10:15ish and virtually every light on our street had upstairs and downstairs lights on. We went through Firshill too and that didn't get any better.

Seemingly nobody in this part of S3 got that memo..

God bless and cherish the memory of them all. Sadly I am working so was unable to pay my respects in the manner suggested, but the true heroes of this Great land and the sacrifice they paid for us all is never too far away from my thoughts and prayers.