New Sainsbury's at Wadsley Bridge

Frazer I've replied to your other post about this, sainsburys is NOT closing down

The staff would be first to know and nothing has been said.

Don't know who's been telling you these rumours but they're nonsense!

I hope not. I like it there (probably because it's not very busy with people :hihi:), I find it convenient now and I've got used to it.

It annoys me when the things I buy regularly are on offer though.

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 22:49 ----------

That's a pretty strong denial. A bit like a vote of confidence. I'll give it two weeks!

I think rumours about this are likely. It's never busy when I go in. However, I don't think they would be true, unless it had a new buyer.

They spent too much money on it, to just close it after a year. They've done hardly any local advertising for a start. A good new manager could easily get that place busy.

Frazer I've replied to your other post about this, sainsburys is NOT closing down

Don't believe that for one minute, go and ask the guys at Tata Steel and the Power station that announced job losses the other week if they were the first to be told.

According to the Yorkshire post Fletchers turned a £10 million pound a year loss into a 500k profit from the sale of the land alone. If sainsburys have invested upwards of 20-30 million on a new store they're not likely to abandon it so quickly.

I expect sales will gradually pick up, it seems to be a bit busier every time I go in and I guess it gives them another hub for local deliveries, which I see a lot of.

Sainsburys is out of place in Wadsley Bridge, most shop at Lidl or Asda TBH

Piskeymax, I have heard from two totally unrelated sources, without me prompting, hence why I posted again.

Often in my experience the staff are the last ones to know, although I admire your confidence in Sainsburys management to do the right thing.

Personally, I love it in there. The produce is a bit more expensive but I think it's worth it to have so much under one roof, a good Home and clothing section too, and a really good café.

Presumably the catchment area extends to Chapeltown, Grenoside, Wadsley, Worral, Bradfield and other villages, Loxley valley, maybe Stannington...

Presumably the catchment area extends to Chapeltown, Grenoside, Wadsley, Worral, Bradfield and other villages, Loxley valley, maybe Stannington...

Within 5 minutes of my house (Leppings Lane area) we have a small Asda, a large Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, Spar, Netto, Lidl, Aldi.....and Sainsbury's.

Stupid idea to begin with.

It's called competition isn't it. They don't go "oh, they've already got a tesco and a asda, we'll avoid that area". They want to take business from the Asda and Tesco.

In terms of competition though, we can ignore the small Asda, the Tesco on Dykes Hall rd, etc... The big stores are for people doing a weekly shop, not popping out for a loaf of bread and milk, so it's main competition are Asda and Morrisons. And they target a different segment of the market...

The trouble is that most fresh or frozen foody things you can buy at Sainsburys,wadsley bridge, only have one days sell by date on them,you look behind and there are no more things behind in lots of cases!.................not good!

Edited by mossdog

It's called competition isn't it. They don't go "oh, they've already got a tesco and a asda, we'll avoid that area". They want to take business from the Asda and Tesco.

In terms of competition though, we can ignore the small Asda, the Tesco on Dykes Hall rd, etc... The big stores are for people doing a weekly shop, not popping out for a loaf of bread and milk, so it's main competition are Asda and Morrisons. And they target a different segment of the market...

and Tesco on Infirmary Road

and Tesco on Infirmary Road

Some overlap yes, I actually shop there myself, Sainsbury's seems more expensive without actually being any better.

It doesn't have to be either or. I was in Sainsbury's again yesterday, as well as popping to Aldi afterwards. I like the proximity of several supermarkets, and because I have time, I can buy the things I like in each. I rarely bother with Morrison's nowadays, but often go up Halifax Rd to Sainsburys, Asda and Lidl, or the other way to Aldi and Tesco. Depends what I want.

I think Sainsbury's seems busier every time I go. Some nice clothes and housewares there, that Aldi and Lidl can't compete with. Same with several of the fresh food lines. But if I'm buying wine, its Aldi every time!