New Sainsbury's at Wadsley Bridge

Wouldnt it be more sensible to make the cars go down to the roundabout and go back on themselves (like how you do now to get to where the Niagara club is?)

The roundabout has been removed, apparently traffic lights will cause more congestion somehow work better.

I think the roundabout supposedly didn't give priority to Leppings Lane enough. They could have considered traffic lights at peak times on the approaches though, as that way at non-peak times the traffic can flow most effectively.

Wouldnt it be more sensible to make the cars go down to the roundabout and go back on themselves (like how you do now to get to where the Niagara club is?)

Except there won't be a roundabout any more, just a traffic light controlled crossroads, which is presumably why they've gone for the right turn lane.

Edit: too slow, Cyclone got there before me.

Wasn't there always a light controlled right turn there?

No, it was a no right turn.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.416597,-1.500743,3a,75y,236.32h,72.18t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOP8fBsxK685dplgF2XfYFQ!2e0

The gap and lights were there to allow traffic to emerge and go south, but not to turn in.

Well said biotechpete, you've hit the nail on the head there.

I thought it was complete incompetance on the part of the planners, but over the last couple of years I've come round to the thinking that there is a willingness to increase congestion, emissions and journey times, in an attempt to force people to use public transport, that for me personally, doesn't go where I need to, at the time I need to go.

I've noticed we now have a red wave, re traffic light phaseing, instead of a green wave, ie traffic signals turn to red on approach instead of turning to green, even when there is no conflicting traffic present, Penistone Rd and Brightside Lane are just two examples

Well done SCC

that for me personally, doesn't go where I need to, at the time I need to go.

then you are clearly going to the wrong places at the wrong time.

I've noticed we now have a red wave, re traffic light phaseing, instead of a green wave, ie traffic signals turn to red on approach instead of turning to green, even when there is no conflicting traffic present, Penistone Rd and Brightside Lane are just two examples

to avoid nasty accidents, green waves one way requires a red wave on the perpendicular routes!

certainly going down Penistone rd then if you arrive on it at the correct point in the cycle, you can follow a green wave quite a long way along it, usually to somewhere between hillfoot bridge and morrissons.

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 13:51 ----------

No, it was a no right turn.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.416597,-1.500743,3a,75y,236.32h,72.18t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOP8fBsxK685dplgF2XfYFQ!2e0

The gap and lights were there to allow traffic to emerge and go south, but not to turn in.

ok, I knew there were lights there.

however, if you are going to build a supermarket at that spot then you need to ensure traffic coming down Halifax rd can get to it so there really isn't really much of an alternative,

I understand that by turning the Leppings Lane roundabout into a traffic light controlled junction, when the lights stop Penistone Road traffic there to allow Herries Rd and Leppings Ln traffic to cross, they can allow right-turners into the new Sainsburys at the same time without adding any extra stopping for the Penistone Road traffic. Will it work? I don't know, but it'll be interesting to see!

I think they're also making major changes to the stretch of road leading to the Morrison's right turn at the same time to try and address that problem.

Thank you, I'm well aware of the principle of traffic lights.

However if you read my post it says quite clearly the lights change to red, EVEN when there is no conflicting traffic.

Unfortunately I can't go to work to suit the public transport system, hence why I have to use a car!

When I went up and down past there yesterday morning to go to Thorpe Hesley car boot, the temporary lights they've put at the Claywheels Lane junction were stuck on red for the dual carriageway, which was certainly causing some congestion (not to mention bemusement).

The Morrisons junction is going to be Left hand turn only when exiting Morrisons.

I wonder how much Sainsburys' put towards that piece of planning.

however, if you are going to build a supermarket at that spot then you need to ensure traffic coming down Halifax rd can get to it so there really isn't really much of an alternative,

Keep the roundabout and make traffic go around it.

Have traffic exit left and then go over a fly over (yes it costs more, I'm illustrating that other options do exist).

---------- Post added 05-08-2014 at 09:06 ----------

I understand that by turning the Leppings Lane roundabout into a traffic light controlled junction, when the lights stop Penistone Road traffic there to allow Herries Rd and Leppings Ln traffic to cross, they can allow right-turners into the new Sainsburys at the same time without adding any extra stopping for the Penistone Road traffic. Will it work? I don't know, but it'll be interesting to see!

I think they're also making major changes to the stretch of road leading to the Morrison's right turn at the same time to try and address that problem.

They won't be co-ordinated like that, I'd put a tenner on it that they run in conflict instead.