What are your local Cllrs like

Not quite drug free, fridgeman.

I am known to place a couple of Rennie beside my glass of water of an evening:o

Also, the average speed on the roads up here is 15mph. Usually because you get stuck behind the hearse.

But it's better than hoodies and Ford Cortinas on ramps.

Ousetunes on rennies lol that's brilliant relly made my day. :hihi: :hihi:

whats with the cortinas is lodge moor stuck in a time warp ;)

ghost town? perhaps.

is Lodge Moor a drug free zone then? if so i will consider purchasing property up there.

where's my cllr, who are you, come on show yourself, ohh err matron!!

Fridgeman, it might be helpful if you said which area of Sheffield you live in or the ward. I have never been to the part of Sheffield called “somewhere up here”. Also have you thought of contacting the councillors that represent your area? Don’t for get that there are only 3 of them in each ward in this city and about 12 thousand electorate per ward. I bet even superman would have trouble contacting everyone.

I know a number of local councillors across Sheffield, as I am part of, or chair, local committees.

I think Redrobbo (who isn't catually my councillor any more, as I moved out of his ward) is a brilliant bloke, who slogs his heart out to make his ward a better place.

My local councillors are hard working, too, I think particualrly of one, the lady councllor, who lives nearby to me. We had attended a meeting this particular night, a few moths ago, and she and I walked (well, she walked, I wheeled!) back to our road.

This lady noticed the state of the pavements, and how few dropped kerbs there were, and how poorly lit the street we were walking on was, which caused me and my wheelchair really horrendous problems.

quick as a flash, the next day she was onto the highways folks and got someone to investigate how poor this particular street was.

result:- ? kerbs improved, dropped kerbs installed, and lighting repaired. Much, much better!

(three cheers for this lady!!!)

PT

I am a councillor for Birley Ward and, with my ward colleagues, hold regular surgeries at a variety of locations, week days and weekends, mornings and afternoons. I take telephone calls at all hours of the day and night, sometimes coming through to my mobile whilst I'm at work, and have people turn up at the house regardless of day / time/ guests. I regularly walk through the various areas of the ward and, in the last few months or so have spent time, both day and late at night, out and about with officers and agencies such as Police, Safety Wardens, TARA representatives, Sheffield Homes Officers, Environment Enforcement Officers, Streetforce Area Manager, Parking Enforcement Officers to name a few. I've assisted constituents on a number of issues from housing to litter; Foothways and roads to dog fouling; schools and education to bus routes and shelters; attended community groups to advise on potential funding sources to sports clubs seeking to lease their ground - the list goes on and on. I'm not wanting to appear to be blowing my own trumpet, mearly illustrating the point that 12Bore makes - 12000 or so constituents and probably very few forum members that would identify to any of these - and these are 'just' ward matters. I'm sure that colleagues of all parties are equally involved in similar activities.

I'm definately NOT a superman (as my shape and physique will demonstrate!) and can't possibly get to speak to every single person in the ward. However, I do make myself accessible and make every effort to help people with their problems. There are occasions when I am unable to help - and these are the most frustrating. However, the sense of achievement I get from a successful result far outways the dissappointments when it's not been possible to resolve an issue to the constituents satisfaction.

Why do I do it? You know, I ask myself that from time to time, and, on the rare occasions that I'm at home with my family without dashing out to the next meeting, they ask it too! I know there are many fellow councillors, and prospective councillors, that read the forum, not all post contributions but I bet all feel aggrieved at one point or another with the generalisation of the 'knocking comments', whatever their political leanings. I'm honest enough to know that I can't resolve every problem, nor please everyone. All I can do is try to the best of my abilities.

My own local councillors were so bad that when I contacted another councillor on a technically unrelated matter he took on the entire case and with the wisdom of hindsight I dont think he was much better than those supposed to represent my area.

In fact one of them, a Lib Dem, said he was not prepared to help me because I hadnt voted for him. Quite how he was able to determine I hadnt voted for him is incomprehensible but one thing's a racing cert, I have most definitely not voted for him ever since.

I would like to congratulate and thank bglodge for all the hard work and effort that he puts in to being a city councillor. If I were a resident in his ward I would vote for him. I live in another ward, but I will be voting for the candidate from the same party as his.

How many people on this forum would like to have their home or work life disrupted to help total strangers with their problems? As bglodge has said, this can happen at any time of the day or night, 24/7.

Tony Damms is great he sorts stuff out

My own local councillors were so bad that when I contacted another councillor on a technically unrelated matter he took on the entire case and with the wisdom of hindsight I dont think he was much better than those supposed to represent my area.

In fact one of them, a Lib Dem, said he was not prepared to help me because I hadnt voted for him. Quite how he was able to determine I hadnt voted for him is incomprehensible but one thing's a racing cert, I have most definitely not voted for him ever since.

he sounds as if he would do well teaming up with tony bLIAR and his mob ,after all there allright jack

I can honestly say that I have never so much as seen one of my local councillors in the 35+ years I've lived in this area. But I do get a nice leaflet through the door occasionally telling me what wonderful work our Lib Dem representatives are doing! :rolleyes: This mainly appears to be to take credit for everything, whilst pointing the finger at the Labour group for all that is wrong in the city - so nothing new there, then.

I do have contact with some of the councillors through work, however, and many are genuinely dedicated to the job. Unfortunately, there are still some who think that one word from them should provoke a pavlovian response to meet their needs.

I hang my head.....

I don't actually know who mine are. Considering that I sued to be heavily involved in local politics it's quite embarrassing.

On the other hand...perhaps it indicates the relevance of local councillors in my life? The ones I know through the Forum and offline in a 'personal' capacity - Redrobbo, for example - are hard working individuals who believe in what they do and do a fine job.

Having said that, my only dealings with the Council are typically paying them money.... :) Things like library opening hours, stuff like that - I could no doubt complain to my councillor but I know that nothing will happen. Not because they don't care, but because 'the budget' isn't there.

So....I guess I'll let you know when I've had to use them! :)

Joe

bglodge,

Nice to see another of our elected representatives on here! :thumbsup:

Just a quick question - I know from when I was involved with surgeries in the 1980s / 1990s that caseload could be horrendous.

Have the people who request your assistance had problems with accessing services via the Council 'directly', so to say, or are you their first port of call rather than going to teh Council?

Joe

Have the people who request your assistance had problems with accessing services via the Council 'directly', so to say, or are you their first port of call rather than going to teh Council?

Joe

It varies. Sometimes it's as a first point of call, not knowing who to speak to about a problem or query; others contact as they feel they are not getting any response. As I said in a previous post, you can't always get the response the constituent wants and it's not always easy in telling someone this.