Insurance problem

I have just renewed my policy for the second year with the same company.

My son had some problems with his previous employer and they made a bogus claim against him (he was insured for my vehicle)...the day that the claim he had bumped the car he wasn't even using it (he was driving another vehicle at the time) It was in my pocession and certainly had not been bumped in any way...I disputed the claim as bogus and didn't hear anything from Aviva after that.

I had a car stolen and as I had 'lost' the key, and didn't change the locks, TESCO insurance didn't pay out. (I knew who had stolen the car...the Police didn't want to know...the Insurance were no help and I wasn't in a position to pursue this on my own...)

I didn't disclose a claim when I took out my insurance for the first year, as I had not had a claim and wasn't paid for the loss of the car...didn't class it as a claim.

I received an email this morning stating that I have 7 days to produce evidence of NON FAULT...I haven't got a clue where to start.

I am upset that this wasn't brought to my attention last year when the initial policy was taken out?

It has been a rough 3 years and we were just seeming to turn a corner and get things back on track...and now this.

Any advice?

Any help

When your car was "stolen" did you try to claim?

You will have to supply proof or they will cancel your policy and refund the balance left.I had a similar situation and it takes time to sort out,good luck with it LL.

When your car was "stolen" did you try to claim?

I informed the Police and Insurance company of the theft.

I received no help from either of them.

I lost over £3000 and couldn't do a thing although I gave all the information to the Police and Insurers.

Even though the Police did nothing I thought the insurance would investigate. They investigated me as to why I hadn't changed the lock...it was so easy for them just to find me at fault and not pay on the policy.

I was later told if I hadn't been honest with them I would have been paid out.

I informed the Police and Insurance company of the theft.

I received no help from either of them.

I lost over £3000 and couldn't do a thing although I gave all the information to the Police and Insurers.

Even though the Police did nothing I thought the insurance would investigate. They investigated me as to why I hadn't changed the lock...it was so easy for them just to find me at fault and not pay on the policy.

I was later told if I hadn't been honest with them I would have been paid out.

All insurance companies will be brutal and will always try to avoid paying out anything! I've just had an issue with my home insurance last week and I was too made to feel like I was the guilty party! Not the fact that my house had been broken into and the police had been called (the police were really helpful in this case though)

The insurance company just didn't want to know and started to tell me where my faults are..... I've written a letter of complaint and I will also be asking the ombudsmen to have a look into it... Insurance companies really are the scum of the earth and I'm not sure why the hell we pay them to be honest! I think id rather risk my house falling down than having to deal with Churchill again!

Keep a record of every conversation, take references and just keep at them, you could always threaten them with the ombudsmen, that usually works with most insurance companies - it has with mine! they've finally sat up and listened to me for a change

Don't let them beat you down, its not personal so don't let it affect you too much! I know it's harsh and especially when its a financial loss but don't get too upset about it, keep a cool head and be persistent... It's business so treat it as such :thumbsup:

So, did you put a claim in with Tesco for the theft of the car or not?

jb

With insurance they usually ask if you suffered any loss (not if you made a claim) in my experience.

I have just renewed my policy for the second year with the same company.

Any advice?

Any help

Is it within any cooling off period, 14 days if done online?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_by_internet_mail_order_or_phone_e/consumer_cancelling_a_distance_sale_order_e/cancelling_within_the_cooling_-_off_period_-_distance_sales.htm

I received an email this morning stating that I have 7 days to produce evidence of NON FAULT...I haven't got a clue where to start.

Any advice?

Any help

Is it the claim that was against your son that is causing the problem? Or something else?

When they ask for proof it would be something that puts your son away from the vehicle at the time of the incident, i.e., a works time card or proof he was not in the area at the time (credit card / debit card statement etc) and that puts you in charge of the vehicle (maybe your debit card showing you put fuel in at a particular fuel station).

For the theft; a policy holder has a legal obligation to safeguard the keys to the vehicle that is insured and failure to do so can result in not being paid out for the theft of a vehicle. Harsh as it is, insurance companies do point this out in the policy wording. So many people come home and chuck their keys in a pot on the kitchen side, on the stairs, or somewhere else they are easily found by anyone entering the house (legally or illegally) making car theft easy.

---------- Post added 02-08-2014 at 07:15 ----------

I have just re-read your original mail and now it makes more sense. Am I right in thinking that the one they are asking for evidence for is the theft of the car and you feel that you did not make a claim as the insurance did not pay out?

If I have now understood that then the insurance company are correct in saying that there was a claim; for Tesco (or any insurance) to refuse to pay out then a claim must have been made?

If that is the case, then I am not sure what evidence they are wanting? Are they wanting evidence that the car was taken from you or are they perhaps inferring that this may have been a claim for financial gain?

Edited by Penny Quirk
Inability to quote the original!!