Spelling Annoyances

Scousemouse

Try THEY !!!

I,m out

Oh come on, the world has gone down hill in recent decades due to text messaging.

I usually begin posts with rite, not right meaning correct, but rite meaning the last rites.

But the meaning to me is totally different even though one means correct while the other means death.

I also see people saying yeh, meh and pffft while the only correct one is yeah but the extra A looks wrong.

I'm right though.

Pity people have so little in their lives, to comment on things like this!!! Thye really should get out more....................

No. They should get out more.

No. They should get out more.

Can't believe anyone was gullible enough to fall for that.

If that's all that you wish to take from my post, so be it.

What else should I have taken from it?

That you are also embarrassed by other peoples actions?

:hihi:

What else should I have taken from it?

That you are also embarrassed by other peoples actions?

:hihi:

If it makes you happy.

The misuse of "a" and "an"

I have been for "a" walk, seen sentences like this with "an" which just doesn't sound right. I have been for "an" walk.

I have just seen "an" elephant, same again the other way round. I have just seen "a" elephant, just doesn't sound right.

How do people struggle with this?

The misuse of "a" and "an"

I have been for "a" walk, seen sentences like this with "an" which just doesn't sound right. I have been for "an" walk.

I have just seen "an" elephant, same again the other way round. I have just seen "a" elephant, just doesn't sound right.

How do people struggle with this?

You have made that up.

You have made that up.

Not made up pal, your obviously not intelligent enough to pick up on bad grammar like I posted ;)

Forget the nitwits,its the American spellchecker on here that gets my goat!:D

Makes me doubt my spelling all the time lol.

I'm sure there must be an option to change it somewhere,but I just haven't bothered to luck:o for it:D

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95604?hl=en-GB

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424515 (safari)

or you could be like me and both spellings confuse you, because both are right in your head.

Threads like this tend to make me want to rip up a sapling, Basil Fawlty-style, and beat the computer with it. The people who shout the loudest about 'incorrect' language and how split infinitives, homophone errors and dangling participles are ensuring the end of civilisation as we know it are invariably the ones who know very little about linguistics/ language use in context, which is what really matters.

For example, nobody on this thread has so far made any real distinction between spoken and written English. They are not the same thing, because the contexts in which they are used are invariably different. Yet people bang on about 'errors' and 'poor English' in people's speech, without thinking about the ludicrousness of criticising non-standard grammar or lexis without considering the context. For example, what does it matter whether two friends use Yorkshire dialect, or 'could of' in a private conversation?

Even in writing, where standard English is usually more appropriate (although again, context must determine this - why on earth should friends text message each other in standard English?), clarity and communication are key. Those things depend on context and audience - so you can have a piece of writing with standard spelling and grammar (punctuated to match), which makes very little sense to some of its intended audience. Many insurance policies are good examples of this.

I am not sure what good it does to list/whinge about one's pet linguistic hates unless you find it somehow cathartic. If that's the case, please get out more.

Edited by aliceBB

nobody on this thread has so far made any real distinction between spoken and written English.

No they haven't, because funnily enough this thread is about spelling ;)