Spelling Annoyances

I must say - if this forum is anything to go by - the level of grammar in Sheffield is appalling.

I haven't seen one poster on here that has a consistent record of correct grammar and spelling (myself included).

Anyone from outside the city looking in, must think Sheffield is full of foreigners.

Embarrassing.

I must say - if this forum is anything to go by - the level of grammar in Sheffield is appalling.

I haven't seen one poster on here that has a consistent record of correct grammar and spelling (myself included).

Anyone from outside the city looking in, must think Sheffield is full of foreigners.

Embarrassing.

Oh come on, the world has gone down hill in recent decades due to text messaging.

I usually begin posts with rite, not right meaning correct, but rite meaning the last rites.

But the meaning to me is totally different even though one means correct while the other means death.

I also see people saying yeh, meh and pffft while the only correct one is yeah but the extra A looks wrong.

When people say or write "I could/would of" instead of "I could/would have"

Saw a notice on a bus yesterday - "Please use the handrails when getting on or off of the bus."

You don't get "on of" the bus, so why do they insist on saying "off of"?

Saw a notice on a bus yesterday - "Please use the handrails when getting on or off of the bus."

You don't get "on of" the bus, so why do they insist on saying "off of"?

Sounds about right, why not say "please use the handrails while carrying ten shopping bags" :hihi:

Folk who think the full stop between letters is there as a space marker. You see it on here and even on sign-written vans, the last . missing:

R.I.P = which can only be R.I.P.; or

A.B.C Plumbing = which should be A.B.C. Plumbing.

Embarrassing.Quote

Saw this today: "brick a brack" on the side of a charity van.

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 15:11 ----------

When I corrected a poster's incorrect use of the apostrophe and explained how it can change the meaning of a sentence i was told to "get a life"

Edited by davyboy

I also find it highly amusing when people nit pick about spelling.

They quote paragraphs then write comments that are also incorrect.

So pot calling kettle black springs to mind !!! :rolleyes:

Embarrassing.

So you are calling yourself an embarrassment?:suspect:

In the great words of Popeye,"I yams what I yam".:D

Don't be embarrassed.

I fink the spelin and gramer on a lot ov forum,s is atroshus, speshaly as most contributers are adults, and sheffield forum is no exepshun.

Pity people have so little in their lives, to comment on things like this!!! Thye really should get out more....................

Saying "axe" instead of "ask".

Saying "of" instead of "have", as in we would have

So you are calling yourself an embarrassment?:suspect:

If that's all that you wish to take from my post, so be it.