Dronfield Bypass - Cyclist killed.

Are the Police aware of this potential ID for the man, I can't tell. There's no mention of an ID on the news site?

Are the Police aware of this potential ID for the man, I can't tell. There's no mention of an ID on the news site?

I emailed the woman on the BBC Local Live site but had no reply - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-28655390

So I'm probably going to ring them in a bit with the above info.

---------- Post added 06-08-2014 at 12:19 ----------

Just rang them. Seems a few people may have already called with similar info.

In the interests of decorum and respect, I'm going to temporarily close this thread, until the identification has been made.

Should anyone have any official and confirmed news on the gent's identification, please report this post and a mod will reopen it.

Thanks for your input folks

Pete

Mod Note

Further information :-

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2014/August/07Aug-Police-thank-the-public-for-information-received-on-cyclist-who-died-in-a-collision-and-no-longer-require-further-information.aspx

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tragic-dronfield-bypass-cyclist-identified-1-6772745

A formal identification is to be carried out later today, neither report has released the name of the individual, please be patient and don't speculate as this could cause distress to the family of the deceased.

Thank you for the report on my post Paddy, however the links esme posted were just an update. Unfortunately, the person hasn't yet been identified, so the thread will remain closed until then.

Thanks

Pete

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 16:16 ----------

Thank you for the information people have sent me in regard to this thread. The gentleman has now been name by the Derbyshire Police.

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2014/August/7Aug-Police-name-cyclist-that-died-in-a-collision-in-Dronfield-.aspx

I shall therefore reopen the thread. Please keep it civil!

Thanks folks

Edited by PeteMorris
Sorting out a database error glitch

Sad news for the family and friends of the poor man.

Now his name has been confirmed, and not surprisingly it is the name that was posted yesterday, I cannot understand why the police couldn't achieve in 5 days what random members of the public managed in a few hours once the triathlon links were published. I realise that the police officers involved would not intend to fail, but it looks like they failed to do what was obvious and straight forward. It hardly needed a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot to discover his name.

Very very poor policework.

As for the first post on this page, I would suggest there is no or little family to be "distressed" as they hadnt noticed he had been missing for the past week. Which is sad.

Plus, is that link right and he was 55 years old? The running page I found suggested he was much older and the Sheffield Telegraph article from 4 years ago said he was retired 3 years previously and had been a teacher for 33 years, so they cant even get the announcement of his age right as i doubt he started teaching when he was 15!

Edited by No User Name

I don't quite understand your maths, 33 years teaching + 3 years retired is 36. 55 subtract 36 is 19, not 15. (Still quite young to start teaching, but might have been possible in 1978 ).

I don't quite understand your maths, 33 years teaching + 3 years retired is 36. 55 subtract 36 is 19, not 15. (Still quite young to start teaching, but might have been possible in 1978 ).

You havent accounted for the article being four years old...

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/malcolm-wins-award-as-green-hero-1-1654280

Very very poor policework.

As for the first post on this page, I would suggest there is no or little family to be "distressed" as they hadnt noticed he had been missing for the past week. Which is sad.

Plus, is that link right and he was 55 years old? The running page I found suggested he was much older and the Sheffield Telegraph article from 4 years ago said he was retired 3 years previously and had been a teacher for 33 years, so they cant even get the announcement of his age right as i doubt he started teaching when he was 15!

In the Telegraph article from 4 years ago it said he made use of his over 60's bus pass so I guess he is more 65 than 55

In the Telegraph article from 4 years ago it said he made use of his over 60's bus pass so I guess he is more 65 than 55

Ah yes, good spot. One of the links I posted the other day says he is 67, I would wager that is a much more accurate age.

Derbyshire Police hardly covering themselves in glory over all this. Basic detective work not done, and then cant even get his details right.