Dronfield Bypass - Cyclist killed.

For those arguing over speed limits I suggest you take a look at http://www.driving-test-success.com/driving-articles/speed-limits.htm at the very bottom of the page it says National speed limit - 60mph or 70mph on dual carriageways/motorways. For all those saying dual carriageways should be 70mph, how does that work with Bochum parkway and Penistone road?

It's just like not all single carriageways are covered by the national speed limit (60mph), the same applies to dual carriageways (70mph).

Has this guy been identified yet?

I think there used to be a cyclist not allowed sign on the parkway was a while back though.

I think there used to be a cyclist not allowed sign on the parkway was a while back though.

It depends on where you enter the parkway as to whether there are "no cycling" signs or not.

think you should go read the high way code.dual carage ways are 60

You were saying?

60-odd posts and there's still a need to discuss speed limits on dual carriageways.

I can understand why car drivers might not know the speed limits that apply to other types of vehicles, but there's no excuse for not knowing the limits that apply to them. It's not hard to find.

Edit. Oops, I now realise it's several posters all responding to the same post.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I work in Chesterfield, I used to drive the bypass on a daily basis, with relocating I now take B6052.

I've considered Cycling to work before - I like the idea, problem I have is there are no good (Or what I consider safe) routes into Chesterfield and back, that are not absurdly long. In my experience people do bomb down the bypass - and even when at the speed with the blind summit and corners and traffic it can be hard to see cyclists. The 50 zone I drive through now has more bends etc and less width I'd consider it less safe.

What also grinds my gears with Sheffield > Chesterfield is the buss routes. Do I want to drive for 30mins or spend 2 hours waiting for/being on public transport... Not useful.

There is a problem with people wanting this commute without cars and it should be addressed in the right manner. You can try and limit car usage with increase taxes and such, but without real alternatives it's just lining someones pocket.

You could lower the speed limit, but without lining the whole road with cameras it would do nothing. As I remember though, the bypass is in a location where it is able to be widened... Why not add a (reasonably sized) cycle lane disconnected from the main road by barriers?

What also grinds my gears with Sheffield > Chesterfield is the buss routes. Do I want to drive for 30mins or spend 2 hours waiting for/being on public transport... Not useful.

This is totally not the right place for this, but the X17 bus between Sheffield and Chesterfield is hardly slower than being in a car. Only just over 30 mins outside peak times.

This is totally not the right place for this, but the X17 bus between Sheffield and Chesterfield is hardly slower than being in a car. Only just over 30 mins outside peak times.

Or just over 10 minutes on a direct train :D

That too, but the time it'd take for me to walk to the station plus the much increased cost makes this a non-starter for me. Plus my £54/month ticket gets me tram travel in Sheff too :)

For all those saying dual carriageways should be 70mph, how does that work with Bochum parkway and Penistone road?

Those roads are in an urban area and as such are 30mph for all unless otherwise indicated with repeater signs.

For all those saying dual carriageways should be 70mph, how does that work with Bochum parkway and Penistone road?

You really should read https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits that's been posted several times.

"Local councils can also set their own speed limits in certain areas, and these must be clearly signed."