Dronfield Bypass - Cyclist killed.

Certainly wouldn't get me on it....

However, it SHOULD be safe to use. For the most part it is a straight road with good visibility, and any cyclist should be seen by a driver paying the attention required to pilot a vehicle at high speed (that means not fiddling with MP3's, iPads, phones, radios, satnavs, eating dinner, drinking coffee - all of which are fairly regular sights)

The comment above - for clarity - is a general observation of habits and why I wouldn't fancy riding that road and not to be taken as conjecture about the cause of the collision being discussed

It always seems strange to me when I see cyclists using that road.

The old road through Dronfield is exactly the same distance as the bypass (5 miles- measured from bowshaw roundabout to new whitington roundabout). Although the road through Dronfield isn't great for cycling either but at least if you did get knocked off it would likely be at 30-40mph rather than 70mph+

Anyway RIP

I'm so sorry to hear that this poor man didn't get to have his loved ones around him when he passed away. My heart goes out to his family who are still to find out the worst of news.

Certainly wouldn't get me on it....

However, it SHOULD be safe to use. For the most part it is a straight road with good visibility, and any cyclist should be seen by a driver paying the attention required to pilot a vehicle at high speed (that means not fiddling with MP3's, iPads, phones, radios, satnavs, eating dinner, drinking coffee - all of which are fairly regular sights)

The comment above - for clarity - is a general observation of habits and why I wouldn't fancy riding that road and not to be taken as conjecture about the cause of the collision being discussed

I agree. Many years ago when I used to often travel down the A1, on a Sunday, it was common to see cycle time trials being held. It always struck me as being risky.

Apparently closed in both directions due to an accident.

yer a cyclist died afer being hit by a citron he is said to be about with grey hair he died later in the northern gen RIP

It always seems strange to me when I see cyclists using that road.

The old road through Dronfield is exactly the same distance as the bypass (5 miles- measured from bowshaw roundabout to new whitington roundabout). Although the road through Dronfield isn't great for cycling either but at least if you did get knocked off it would likely be at 30-40mph rather than 70mph+

Anyway RIP

That`s the thing I don`t understand, I`d have thought it`d be flatter as well, the bypass is a big hill up, then a big hill down......

Nope. National speed limit dual carriageway, so 70 for normal cars. Its effectively a motorway or a major trunk road like the A1, it even has a junction on it.

think you should go read the high way code.dual carage ways are 60

No they aren't.

If you are in a car that's not towing a trailer it's 70 on a dual carriageway:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

70mph

The most important difference in the national speed limit is between single and dual carriageways. On a single carriageway road, cars and motorcycles are restricted to 60mph and heavy goods vehicles to 40mph. On dual carriageway roads, the respective speed limits are 70mph and 50mph.

Quick google search. Maybe you should read YOUR highway code Wayne :hihi:

I think you should...

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Edited by mike84

70mph

The most important difference in the national speed limit is between single and dual carriageways. On a single carriageway road, cars and motorcycles are restricted to 60mph and heavy goods vehicles to 40mph. On dual carriageway roads, the respective speed limits are 70mph and 50mph.

Quick google search. Maybe you should read YOUR highway code Wayne :hihi:

Yes, and the NSL for large vehicles (A1 motorhomes, buses/coaches and LGVs) are the difference between the Dronfield bypass and a Motorway

Still wouldn't be keen on being passed closely at 60 by a coach instead of 70 though

poor bloke has not not even been identified yet and the kb jockeys are out arguing the toss.

A little respect maybe?