Dronfield Bypass - Cyclist killed.

My stomach lurched when i read this as my son cycles home that way .

Could I ask why he cycles on the Dronfield Bypass ? Don`t get me wrong he`s got every right to do so but I can`t actually think why any cyclist would want to use it. I can`t think of any two points where a cyclist would use the D/F bypass in in preference to the older roads. The "old road" is flatter, more direct and, I`d have thought, more pleasant (well less unpleasant) to cycle on.

I went through this same question a few years back.

Always leaves me gobsmacked when I read about cyclists using this road, it is almost a motorway-grade road.

Always leaves me gobsmacked when I read about cyclists using this road, it is almost a motorway-grade road.

Its a mystery to me i have to say. I wouldnt have the bottle to take my bike on there. I often see cyclists on that road and i have to admit i feel a certain amount of admiration. This shocking accident will no doubt put off a few from trying it but the hardcore will cycle it daily. Lets just hope this is the last cycle death on that road and to anyone who does bike it, FFS be careful!!

There is a similar road that links Rochdale and Oldham (the A627 (M)), its only a very short stretch and there is a motorway junction in the middle of it, but it has the (M) designation so obviously no bikes allowed.

The A61 between Lowedges and the first roundabout in Chesterfield is no different .

heard on radio sheffield that police are still trying identify the man, such a waste of life.

why was he on there in the first place. that road is no place for them. feel sorry for his family but still stupid for going on that road

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 12:41 ----------

its a 60mph road no cyclist should be on there.

I pass I chap on there most days, would say in his 50's and never has a helmet on whilst cycling towards Chesterfield

heard on radio sheffield that police are still trying identify the man, such a waste of life.

Yes they are appealing for anyone who knows who he is as he had no ID on him. So anyone on Sheffield forum with any knowledge please let the police know

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/mystery-over-identity-of-dead-a61-cyclist-1-6762800#.U9t-Coidgio.twitter

why was he on there in the first place. that road is no place for them. feel sorry for his family but still stupid for going on that road

Nope. National speed limit dual carriageway, so 70 for normal cars. Its effectively a motorway or a major trunk road like the A1, it even has a junction on it.

I pass I chap on there most days, would say in his 50's and never has a helmet on whilst cycling towards Chesterfield

Not sure whether the guy in his 50s wears a polystyrene hat has to do with it though? Certainly wouldn't protect the head (or limbs, torso and internal organs etc) in a 70mph+ collision with a vehicle.

What, so your saying that cyclists shouldn't be allowed on national speed limit roads? Well, that's a new one. I used to cycle down this road to Chesterfield quite regularly and never felt at all unsafe on it.

What, so your saying that cyclists shouldn't be allowed on national speed limit roads? Well, that's a new one. I used to cycle down this road to Chesterfield quite regularly and never felt at all unsafe on it.

This is a NSL which is a dual carriageway (so maximum speed of 70 for most of the traffic using it) and even has a hard shoulder and a junction. Its effectively a motorway. Lunacy to cycle on it.