What's going on with the church on Cemetery Road?

Anglican Chapel in Sheffield General Cemetery on Cemetery Road seems to be getting a new roof and stuff. Anyone know more detail, such as who owns it and what they might be planning on doing with it?

Looks good anyway

Any info appreciated

The Anglican chapel is not the building that the SGCT are describing on their website. There are two chapels on the site, the one that is currently still without a roof was subject to a failed planning application some years ago. As work appears to have stopped now that the building is fully open to the elements, it would not take a huge leap to arrive at the conclusion that the owner would not be too upset if it fell down.

The Non-conformist chapel is the one near the Ecclesall road end and is the one being granted the lottery money. The other one at the Cemetery Road end is privately owned. The Freinds of the Cem have been trying for some time to buy it but money as always is tight. It is a listed building tho so the guy who owns it does have some responsibilities.

Both chapels are up near the top end, just off cemetery road.

Thanks for the info. Never heard of the Trust but nice work on getting funding to fix up the Non-conformist chapel (the one with neo-classical columns). I see the Anglican chapel (one with big spire) had a planning application in ten years ago to convert it to four apartments, ref 04/00109/UL, but this was withdrawn. Despite its listed status, I guess the fact it is privately owned means we have no right to know what they're doing.

Both chapels are up near the top end, just off cemetery road.

They aren't PT. Only the Anglican one and what used to be the mortuary (now offices) next to the car sales place are at the Cemetery Road end. The non-conform one is further down nearer Ecclesall Road.

The guy who owns the Anglican chapel did try in 2009 to develop the area but it got stopped because it basically meant he'd have cut folks access off to the cemetery from the Cemetery Road entrance. There were loads of objections and his planning consent got turned down. I don't remember seeing anything up on the lamp-post outside about what's happening with it now as there was last time. (I live near it so pass it every day).

Just making it wind and watertight would be an improvement. The inside is empty - has been for years.

They aren't PT. Only the Anglican one and what used to be the mortuary (now offices) next to the car sales place are at the Cemetery Road end. The non-conform one is further down nearer Ecclesall Road.

The guy who owns the Anglican chapel did try in 2009 to develop the area but it got stopped because it basically meant he'd have cut folks access off to the cemetery from the Cemetery Road entrance. There were loads of objections and his planning consent got turned down. I don't remember seeing anything up on the lamp-post outside about what's happening with it now as there was last time. (I live near it so pass it every day).

Just making it wind and watertight would be an improvement. The inside is empty - has been for years.

My apologies.

Despite spending many years living in the vicinity, and playing in there as a child... for some reason, I always thought the other chapel was closer to the cemetery road end like the chapel with the spire, (And I thought it backed onto the Groundsman's house that is adjacent to the car lot, towards the top of cemetery road)

On google map-ing it, I can now see that it's equidistant from both the Ecclesall Road-end entrance, and the cemetery road boundary.

So, in answer to the original question: nobody knows what's happening with the church on Cemetery Road.

I get all my news on here!

Apparently it is being turned into two flats.

Lord knows how he got permission for it? I thought it was a listed building?

The chapel on Cemetery Road (tall pointy thing, hard to miss) is being converted into an art space for exhibitions etc.