River Don Salmon Pastures

I have been advised to go and fish a place called Salmon Pastures , It's along the five weir walk! I was just wondering do you need waders to fish this spot or can you fish it from dry land ??

Thanks.

Either or. There's a couple of swims you can trot down from the bank, though you'd have more options if you took waders.

From where you park it's a very short walk, so i wouldn't worry about having a fair bit of kit with you.

Either or. There's a couple of swims you can trot down from the bank, though you'd have more options if you took waders.

From where you park it's a very short walk, so i wouldn't worry about having a fair bit of kit with you.

Cheers! Have you been down recently ?

Cheers! Have you been down recently ?

About a month ago. It was very high and fast, though it's settled down now.

If you haven't fished their then note it's very very shallow in places. It's deepest half way between salmon Pastures and Norfolk Bridge on the bend. About 2-300 yards walk from where you park.

About a month ago. It was very high and fast, though it's settled down now.

If you haven't fished their then note it's very very shallow in places. It's deepest half way between salmon Pastures and Norfolk Bridge on the bend. About 2-300 yards walk from where you park.

What's in there ? I was just going to walk along with a waggler and some maggots!

What's in there ? I was just going to walk along with a waggler and some maggots!

Your normal silvers. Few chubb, Grayling, Trout. Some stonking perch ! A few jacks.

I really wouldn't go with a waggler, they're stick float or bomb/feeder swims really.

Your normal silvers. Few chubb, Grayling, Trout. Some stonking perch ! A few jacks.

I really wouldn't go with a waggler, they're stick float or bomb/feeder swims really.

I never use a stick float. What's the difference in stick float and waggler swims ?

With a waggler your line is only attached to the bottom of the float, so in fast water, if you try to "mend" the line as it runs down the swim it will go under. With a stick float it's attached top and bottom, so you can correct it's run down stream without it constantly pulling under. you can also hold it back causing the bait to rise and fall in the water.

Basically, waggler - Still or slow moving water. Stick float - running water.

There are some exceptions of course, you can't cast a stick float 30 yards for one.

With a waggler your line is only attached to the bottom of the float, so in fast water, if you try to "mend" the line as it runs down the swim it will go under. With a stick float it's attached top and bottom, so you can correct it's run down stream without it constantly pulling under. you can also hold it back causing the bait to rise and fall in the water.

Basically, waggler - Still or slow moving water. Stick float - running water.

There are some exceptions of course, you can't cast a stick float 30 yards for one.

Thanks for that you have any recommended stick floats ?

Thanks for that you have any recommended stick floats ?

Not really. It's quite a personal thing, and don't believe that buying more expensive ones will gain you any advantage. Saying that, i always preferred higher priced ones, ones made of Lignum, though plastic and cheap is perfectly fine too.

You wont need anything too heavy, it's only 15 metres wide.

Btw, don't forget your float rubbers. you can't fish stick float without them !

Not really. It's quite a personal thing, and don't believe that buying more expensive ones will gain you any advantage. Saying that, i always preferred higher priced ones, ones made of Lignum, though plastic and cheap is perfectly fine too.

You wont need anything too heavy, it's only 15 metres wide.

Btw, don't forget your float rubbers. you can't fish stick float without them !

Thanks for all the information! really helpful. :)

No worries.

Btw. It's quite "snaggy" down there, so make sure you're using a lighter hook length or you could lose a fair bit of tackle. 3lb main line and a 2lb hook length is more than adequate. I go much lighter than that at times.