Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

I hope this does happen and I have to admit I'm surprised at the negative comments.

The current Castle Market area is a dump that has needed to be revamped for years.

Why SCC ever covered up the castle remains to build the hideous old market is beyond comprehension to start with.

I must admit a bigger priority should be to sort out Flat Street and Fitzallan Square which looks terrible to those coming into the city from the station or bus interchange.

This was featured on Look North last night. Looks interesting, and will open up the river area. Sheffield is one of the few places I know with a central river, which makes next to nothing of it.

It could be excellent if executed well.

Try taking your visitors to the Peace Gardens, Winter Gardens, Millennium Gallery area. Lots to look at, good people watching and a variety of restaurants and cafés. Remember to walk down Norfolk Row for St Marie's and two good food choices.

Don't forget Manor Lodge, if you're going to York for something to show someone new to Sheffield you're not trying hard enough.

So when is the big demolition day then? Can we expect Cuttsie to chain himself to the building in protest? :D

So when is the big demolition day then? Can we expect Cuttsie to chain himself to the building in protest? :D

I will be there to welcome it, party poppers at the ready, fireworks and lots of bunting :hihi:

I will be there to welcome it, party poppers at the ready, fireworks and lots of bunting :hihi:

Will you be starting three threads nearer the time?

"Party Poppers in Sheffield"

"Fireworks in Sheffield"

"Bunting in Sheffield"

?

:hihi::hihi:

Will you be starting three threads nearer the time?

"Party Poppers in Sheffield"

"Fireworks in Sheffield"

"Bunting in Sheffield"

?

:hihi::hihi:

You are correct, it is impossible to find bunting in Sheffield :hihi:

Whether or not any substantial castle ruins remain is neither here or there for me but I like the idea of a park that might make the surrounding area and buildings more interesting and worthwhile to developers. Linking up with the river and canal basin sounds like a good idea too.

Does anyone else wonder how far this development plan go's??

You can't tell just from the picture.

The problem I see is that the entire area is a dump, you can't just flatten castle market and stick a park in - it will look ridiculous stuffed in among some of the horrendous buildings that neighbour that area.

They need to flatten most of the buildings in that area and properly redevelop it.

You can't expect to raise 4 million quid from private investors to create a park in the middle of a complete toilet - whats in it for them????

To get a real chance of investors to open their wallet you'll need to flatten everything from Primark to the semi-abandoned coop, along with castle market and most of the stuff up Haymarket.

Does anyone else wonder how far this development plan go's??

You can't tell just from the picture.

The problem I see is that the entire area is a dump, you can't just flatten castle market and stick a park in - it will look ridiculous stuffed in among some of the horrendous buildings that neighbour that area.

They need to flatten most of the buildings in that area and properly redevelop it.

You can't expect to raise 4 million quid from private investors to create a park in the middle of a complete toilet - whats in it for them????

To get a real chance of investors to open their wallet you'll need to flatten everything from Primark to the semi-abandoned coop, along with castle market and most of the stuff up Haymarket.

I've read up on that and this is one of the big worries for me, they are talking about 'doing up' and 'restoring' the surroundings. Whereas a lot of it just needs to be pulled down to create a high value redevelopment. I am sure they could find some partners for that. If I am not mistaken the grand plan for Sheffield is also to move most key-shops north towards the Moor, so what is the plan for the Coop and Primark (as you mention).

The Castle Market is obviously going down, and it is a big building, so there is some scope, but once again, I don't understand why the council doesn't force the others out, create a nice prepared ground plan and sell the land for profit to those that want to invest (with Coop and Primark and others being moved out getting priority bidding).

PS: They should seriously consider making the Wicker become two-way again to aid footfall in the area.

Edited by tzijlstra

If they are going to go ahead with this then they ought to make sure the old courthouse and all the other buildings are given a good facelift. Although I am assuming the old court is still rundown not been down there for years. It is a disgrace a building like that has been allowed to get in such a state.

they are talking about 'doing up' and 'restoring' the surroundings.

I think the reason half of the buildings are empty/derelict is because they're way beyond economical repair already.

What sort of developer is going to spend the millions required to refurbish these places when the end result is a building and area that still looks like ass, and still only attracts drunks and homeless people???

The only way to change the area as being a rundown hell-hole is to tear it down and start again.