Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

What High Street Market Area?

Years ago, the city centre shops ran pretty much from Wicker all the way to London Rd.

The new plans envisage it pretty much ending at Fargate and even that might have a bigger proportion of food / drink outlets than now. So, the plans do envisage a much more compact retail centre than before.

---------- Post added 31-08-2018 at 20:50 ----------

It won't happen in one big project, it will be delivered piece by piece as the opportunities arise. There does not appear to be private sector interest in doing one big scheme anymore.

---------- Post added 31-08-2018 at 20:53 ----------

They envisage that area as a business district, so having the markets there is incompatible with that use.

It's all in the draft city centre plan which is out to consultation: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/citycentreplan

Exactly no sense of history or any interest what so ever in what proper Sheffielder's feel or think, Lets hope that this proposed business district does not add to the thousands of office or work space to let scattered around OUR City. Or maybe some more nice posh apartments will add a little life to this historic area:loopy:

Exactly no sense of history or any interest what so ever in what proper Sheffielder's feel or think, Lets hope that this proposed business district does not add to the thousands of office or work space to let scattered around OUR City. Or maybe some more nice posh apartments will add a little life to this historic area:loopy:

If they had no interest in what people think, why would they be consulting? You have the opportunity to have your say.

Plans like that have to be approved by Councillors who are your elected representatives. You can lobby them.

If they had no interest in what people think, why would they be consulting? You have the opportunity to have your say.

Plans like that have to be approved by Councillors who are your elected representatives. You can lobby them.

Who do they consult? Nobody's ever asked me or anybody I know, about any of these so called 'consultations.'

---------- Post added 01-09-2018 at 12:52 ----------

I've nothing against this 'grey to green' proposal, (apart from the cost,) but I fail to see the point unless it's joined up to something.

It seems to be just a very expensive patch of grass stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Who do they consult? Nobody's ever asked me or anybody I know, about any of these so called 'consultations.'

Everyone. I provided a link to the details on the Council's website. Anyone could have respond.

From at least 1973 there were concerns about the development of Sheffield City centre

1 It was too big -the number of large stores was very much bigger than could be sustained by the population partly because of,

2 It was too long and narrow as Planner1 says.

3 Too ugly- post blitz construction was functional rather than aspirational.

Since at least 1973 there have been plans for the restructure of the City centre into a rounder and sectorized entity.

These changes are ongoing but in a far more piecemeal manner reflecting the economic and political change.

Sheffield is never in the lead in periods of recovery and private investment and does suffer, in my opinion, from negativity which slows public decision making and action.

---------- Post added 01-09-2018 at 12:52 ----------

I've nothing against this 'grey to green' proposal, (apart from the cost,) but I fail to see the point unless it's joined up to something.

It seems to be just a very expensive patch of grass stuck in the middle of nowhere.

The council ignored the save our Markets petition signed by ordinary citizens who as usual have no voice when the planners decide that they are the ones who know best despite some of them having no

affinity with our City.

---------- Post added 01-09-2018 at 17:54 ----------

From at least 1973 there were concerns about the development of Sheffield City centre

1 It was too big -the number of large stores was very much bigger than could be sustained by the population partly because of,

2 It was too long and narrow as Planner1 says.

3 Too ugly- post blitz construction was functional rather than aspirational.

Since at least 1973 there have been plans for the restructure of the City centre into a rounder and sectorized entity.

These changes are ongoing but in a far more piecemeal manner reflecting the economic and political change.

Sheffield is never in the lead in periods of recovery and private investment and does suffer, in my opinion, from negativity which slows public decision making and action.

It is even narrower now .

The council ignored the save our Markets petition signed by ordinary citizens who as usual have no voice when the planners decide that they are the ones who know best despite some of them having no affinity with our City.

They disagreed with the request, that's not ignoring it.

Ordinary citizens have a voice through their elected representatives, who, don't forget, make the important planning decisions.

The planners just make recommendations, Councillors, who do have an affinity for the city, decide.

Define "proper Sheffielders" please.

Don't bite , Albert

don't you mean Judd....

Don't bite , Albert

Do you think you count as a proper Sheffielder by Albert's lights? Unless you've worked in a melting shop, just like he never has, then unlikely I'm afraid.