Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

Hard to believe there's an old medieval castle under it somewhere!!! Wonder if they'll find much?

Went down to see some of wall when I was in junior school over 30 years ago...didn't look much to a teenager but looking forward to see what has survived

I wonder if the Market Tavern is a listed building? Also once the market has been pulled down I was under the impression that the Archaeologist were going to do some excavation, for a year, on the remains of the old castle. Can't wait to find out what they find.

If they do find something I hope the council put it to good use and use it as a feature to encourage people to go there.

Hard to believe there's an old medieval castle under it somewhere!!! Wonder if they'll find much?

they have already found part or parts of the wall to the castle years ago they used to open it to the public but it's only a tiny bit , left. it was all robbed in victoran times to build houses the same as hadrians wall went the same way xx

there is some ruins of the old castle under the market ,at the back of market any one could have gone to see them all you had to do was to get in touch with the market office

a friend of mine were discussing nostalgic old Sheffield. the topic of the now near demolished castle market and we both think a new castle market should be built on the site a single storey building with an open air market next door like the old rag and tag, here in chesterfield we have an open air market with stalls already set up covered with canvas roofing way can't Sheffield do the same, and get rid of the moor foot market from what I have seen of it is half empty, closed stalls due to massive rents a complete waste of money give Sheffield what it want's. I often go to Norfolk and the open air market in norwhich is always packed, with visitors and traders there are no empty stalls and you can get any thing from bolts of cloth, mobile phone cases to wet fish. I can spend a couple of hours strolling round there then going across the road for dinner or high tea. bring back some of the old days. and forget office blocks. one more thing we need another railway station, and airport that can cope with 747s or A33s. but would have to knock down half of handsworth for it :thumbsup:

There will first some intense archaeological research done after the old building has been removed.

Edited by dutch

a friend of mine were discussing nostalgic old Sheffield. the topic of the now near demolished castle market and we both think a new castle market should be built on the site a single storey building with an open air market next door like the old rag and tag, here in chesterfield we have an open air market with stalls already set up covered with canvas roofing way can't Sheffield do the same, and get rid of the moor foot market from what I have seen of it is half empty, closed stalls due to massive rents a complete waste of money give Sheffield what it want's. I often go to Norfolk and the open air market in norwhich is always packed, with visitors and traders there are no empty stalls and you can get any thing from bolts of cloth, mobile phone cases to wet fish. I can spend a couple of hours strolling round there then going across the road for dinner or high tea. bring back some of the old days. and forget office blocks. one more thing we need another railway station, and airport that can cope with 747s or A33s. but would have to knock down half of handsworth for it :thumbsup:

Christ this has been done to death the old market area was and still is a dump rife with crime the new moor market is single storey and next to an open air market so I'm not sure what more you want you can get wet fish and mobile phone cases from the Moor.

That end of town would be really nice if it was redeveloped into more residential/leisure type area.

It would be a lot better if they removed that big red monstrosity from the bottom of the Moor so that people could get easy access to the Moor.

There will first some intense archaeological research done after the old building has been removed.

Who will be doing this research? Who will be funding it?

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 19:23 ----------

It would be a lot better if they removed that big red monstrosity from the bottom of the Moor so that people could get easy access to the Moor.

I'd better get my application in to have it listed then as its a unique architectural building and needs preserving.

What nonsense. The Manpower Services Building has been there for nearly 40 years! Its got pathways and roads all around it. Its not the Berlin Wall for god sake.

People have been more than capable of walking around to get onto the Moor. Its presence is nothing to do with the current status of the area.

In fact, considering its continuing to be home to a huge number of Civil Servants it could bring massive footfall to the new developments and stores.