Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

53 minutes ago, Martin C said:

Hopefully common sense will prevail (I'll not hold my breath though) and the few remaining routes (20 & 97/98 I believe) that operate via Commercial Street, Park Square and Blonk Street to reach The Wicker will be diverted via Angel St, Castle Street and Waingate.

Sorry to say this Martin C,

Since the new lights Market Place/High St are now pretty much on permanent red (near hole in road entering towards Church St), this then blocks the bus gate towards cathedral, which soon blocks the general traffic access route from Commercial Street to Arundel Gate.  Hence why now long queues (even in the day) up Commercial Street, and in heavier traffic spreads around Park Sq.

This in turn blocks the route you wish to move to.

It's probably no better option now. Lucky I can assess and choose the 50/50 of which quicker way around, buses don't have that.

How this continues to happen, over and over again, just baffles me.  Get people on buses!!!! yay! then cut off the route that buses had an advantage (and me too in my taxi), and plant some trees and put fancy paving down.

-

Another one, which I might as well post, as causes problems every day, same places all the time.

The  light sequence to get out of the station has been altered at rush hour to 'increase flow on the ring road', but brings the station to a standstill, and hence brings the ring road left hand lane clockwise on Sheaf Street to a standstill, because no one can get in to the station, because no one can get out.

9 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Sorry to say this Martin C,

Since the new lights Market Place/High St are now pretty much on permanent red (near hole in road entering towards Church St), this then blocks the bus gate towards cathedral, which soon blocks the general traffic access route from Commercial Street to Arundel Gate.  Hence why now long queues (even in the day) up Commercial Street, and in heavier traffic spreads around Park Sq.

This in turn blocks the route you wish to move to.

It's probably no better option now. Lucky I can assess and choose the 50/50 of which quicker way around, buses don't have that.

How this continues to happen, over and over again, just baffles me.  Get people on buses!!!! yay! then cut off the route that buses had an advantage (and me too in my taxi), and plant some trees and put fancy paving down.

-

Another one, which I might as well post, as causes problems every day, same places all the time.

The  light sequence to get out of the station has been altered at rush hour to 'increase flow on the ring road', but brings the station to a standstill, and hence brings the ring road left hand lane clockwise on Sheaf Street to a standstill, because no one can get in to the station, because no one can get out.

You just got to applaud the expert traffic planners, they certainly know their stuff

18 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Bargepole, did you not read what I wrote?

Why are people going to get on a bus, when the whole point I was making, is that the bus no longer has a way to get past queueing cars!

In which case, close it off entirely to all traffic except buses and bikes.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

In which case, close it off entirely to all traffic except buses and bikes.

how do you suppose I do that?

Edited by *_ash_*

23 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

how do you suppose I do that?

I don't suppose that you do the closing off at all. Leave that to those doing the design and build.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

I don't suppose that you do the closing off at all. Leave that to those doing the design and build.

Is this some never ending circle of dialogue nonsense?! :hihi:

I started the thread (though now merged into a megathread) questioning the design of it!!

Any thoughts on the regeneration of the Old Town Hall - work is under way to remove rubbish, debris and other unsafe elements.  The same owner is also behind the refurbishment of the Cannon pub into new homes. Positive that change and regeneration is coming to Castlegate after all the years of it being a <removed>.

Edited by nikki-red