Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

Anyone know what they're doing at the end of Castlegate (where it meets Blonk street) ? There was a circular building overlooking the river, which I think used to be toilets. They've been working on it for a month but seem to be adding height to it now ?

It'd be nice to actually have some inward investment and some new shops opening in the Castlegate area. Such a shame to see the council let this area degenerate so much - especially considering it's much better connected than The Moor (railway, trams and bus station all in close proximity).

They seem to be letting this side of the city centre die, while spending cash on The Moor. Surely this investment should be balanced and money should be spent on the entire city centre. I hate to say it but looking at the recent reports of crime hotspots produced by The Star this week, The Moor will probably become the new Castle Markets area in the next 5-10 years... :(

I thought work had already started-plenty of hoardings down there

They seem to be letting this side of the city centre die, while spending cash on The Moor. Surely this investment should be balanced and money should be spent on the entire city centre.

Most of The Moor has been/is being redeveloped with private investment, as most developments generally are. Save for the odd self-financed building (think the new market may have been council money?) very few developments, however civic-focussed they may appear, are proposed by the council.

If developers are hot for the Moor, luke warm for the NRQ area around John Lewis, and wouldn't think about building retail or offices around castlegate even if you paid them, then the council really have to go with the flow...

It'd be nice to actually have some inward investment and some new shops opening in the Castlegate area. Such a shame to see the council let this area degenerate so much - especially considering it's much better connected than The Moor (railway, trams and bus station all in close proximity).

They seem to be letting this side of the city centre die, while spending cash on The Moor. Surely this investment should be balanced and money should be spent on the entire city centre. I hate to say it but looking at the recent reports of crime hotspots produced by The Star this week, The Moor will probably become the new Castle Markets area in the next 5-10 years... :(

The crime hot spots!!!!!, what a surprise to find that they are not Castle Gate the Wicker or the Manor but the more genteel areas around Ecclesall Road ,the Moor and West Street:hihi:

Anyone know if any of the recent planned developments are due to start soon, as this area is quickly becoming a ghost town and quite frankly an embarrassment to the city! This area has the main bus/coach station, trams and the railway station and yet has been left to rot, while all the investment has been pumped down towards The Moor and the rather drab (and failing?) Moor Markets.

Considering this is where the vast majority of hotels are located, along with the coach/railway station and is also on the tram route and close to Ponds Forge where many visitors 1st experience Sheffield City Centre, it really does make you feel embarrassed at seeing the state it has become.

Maybe something in the short term, could be new outdoor market stalls on Exchange Street beside where Shoezone and Castle Markets used to be, to try and create a bit of life in this once bustling shopping area - like what is currently in place on King Street.

Regarding the developments I'm talking about the former Primark and Co-Op Department Store buildings - along with the other large empty shops around Waingate/Haymarket and Fitzalan Square.

They (Sheffield City Council) even seem to be ruining Fitzalan Square, which with the new planned proposals will result in buses/taxis that use Haymarket and travel straight across towards Pond Street will now have to turn right onto Commercial Street before turning left onto Fitzalan Square - creating even more traffic congestion in this area - not to mention buses turning will not have enough swing and thus when turning right onto Angel Street will no doubt leave their rear end sticking out and blocking Commercial Street. Clever planning again from Sheffield City Council! :hihi::hihi:

The planning department in Sheffield City Council need serious investigation. Never have I known such a chronic lack of strategy, cohesian and completion as we have in Sheffield at the moment. Everything they touch seems to turn into a disaster. In fact, that goes for much of Sheffield City Council.

Guest makapaka
Anyone know if any of the recent planned developments are due to start soon, as this area is quickly becoming a ghost town and quite frankly an embarrassment to the city! This area has the main bus/coach station, trams and the railway station and yet has been left to rot, while all the investment has been pumped down towards The Moor and the rather drab (and failing?) Moor Markets.

Considering this is where the vast majority of hotels are located, along with the coach/railway station and is also on the tram route and close to Ponds Forge where many visitors 1st experience Sheffield City Centre, it really does make you feel embarrassed at seeing the state it has become.

Maybe something in the short term, could be new outdoor market stalls on Exchange Street beside where Shoezone and Castle Markets used to be, to try and create a bit of life in this once bustling shopping area - like what is currently in place on King Street.

Regarding the developments I'm talking about the former Primark and Co-Op Department Store buildings - along with the other large empty shops around Waingate/Haymarket and Fitzalan Square.

They (Sheffield City Council) even seem to be ruining Fitzalan Square, which with the new planned proposals will result in buses/taxis that use Haymarket and travel straight across towards Pond Street will now have to turn right onto Commercial Street before turning left onto Fitzalan Square - creating even more traffic congestion in this area - not to mention buses turning will not have enough swing and thus when turning right onto Angel Street will no doubt leave their rear end sticking out and blocking Commercial Street. Clever planning again from Sheffield City Council! :hihi::hihi:

Maybe that traffic congestion won’t happen because some qualified people have done a detailed study before making the decision and not just made up some issues on a messageboard. Maybe.

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 16:27 ----------

The planning department in Sheffield City Council need serious investigation. Never have I known such a chronic lack of strategy, cohesian and completion as we have in Sheffield at the moment. Everything they touch seems to turn into a disaster. In fact, that goes for much of Sheffield City Council.

Which lack of strategy cohesion and completion(?) are you referring to?

Any criticism of this council and straight away you seem to be on the back foot defending them :suspect:

Any criticism of this council and straight away you seem to be on the back foot defending them :suspect:

ahh the old pathetic generic sheffield forum response.

"you dont agree with my poorly though out rant therefore you must have a hidden agenda"

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 20:45 ----------

whats a disaster?

ahh the old pathetic generic sheffield forum response.

"you dont agree with my poorly though out rant therefore you must have a hidden agenda"

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 20:45 ----------

whats a disaster?

Where is my poorly thought out rant ?