Could Sheffield be revived like Liverpool was by Michael Heseltine?

So what you're saying is we need to have a massive riot and trash the place.

because 30 years hasn't really brought the prosperous vibrant city we want.

Or get the IRA in to blow up the city centre... it worked for Manchester....

Or get the IRA in to blow up the city centre... it worked for Manchester....

What a ridiculous and totally irresponsible thing to say. :rant:

It may have escaped your notice but there maybe some people on this forum who may have been affected by that tragedy!

Are you sure it was Michael Heseltine that did that, after all that was more than 30 years ago, in 1981 during the riots. I remember them complaining that the only thing he ever did at the time was to persuade the council to plant trees!

Successive governments and surely private business have co-operated to make it a completely different place now, which after 30 years, you'd expect.

The same thing has happened to Brixton in London were the riots took place.

The transformation of the East End of London, such as Canary Wharf and Stratford have proved that. These areas are slowly being gentrified.

Perhaps you should read this.

http://www.stgeorgesquarter.org/freedom-liverpool-recipient-lord-heseltine-returns-liverpool-conversation-evening/

Freedom of Liverpool recipient Lord Heseltine returns to Liverpool for In Conversation Evening

Little Atom Productions are delighted to announce that Lord Michael Heseltine will be their next interviewee in the hugely successful In Conversation series. Appearing at St Georges Hall on Tuesday 17 June, the event also forms part of the official cultural programme of the 2014 International Festival for Business.

Former Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Secretary, Lord Heseltine is the latest in an impressive portfolio of high profile guests participating in the increasingly popular In Conversation series, which has previously featured legendary Liverpool crime writer Lynda La Plante and retired Liverpool and England footballer Jamie Carragher sharing their life stories.

A key figure and most famously known throughout Liverpool for his work to help revive the city after the Toxteth Riots and instrumental in the redevelopment of the Albert Dock when the Merseyside Development Corporation was set up in 1981, Lord Heseltine received the prestigious title Freedom of Liverpool in 2012 joining the likes of Ken Dodd, The Beatles and Roy Castle. He was also awarded an honorary fellowship by John Moores University in 2013 for his part in the city’s regeneration.

A highly distinguished businessman, the University of Liverpool recognised his services to business and economics by founding the Heseltine Institute for Public Policy and Practice which works with organisations with the aim of building prosperous futures and managing the impacts of global economic, environmental, social and cultural change.

Since starting in 2009, the In Conversation series has given a fascinating insight into the lives and careers of their esteemed guests mixed with a collection of their favourite pieces of music performed live by five separate acts. These hugely popular evenings have proved to be must-see and sell out successes.

Edited by emma royd

I'd be happy to 'do it' but I don't think anyone else in the city would :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Really there's little change going to happen in the council in the long run, there's not much drive to try and do something different and actually make a change in the city - so everyone just sits back and rides the gravy train.

Arguably there's little enthusiasm for change amongst a lot of its citizens bar re-opening steel mills and coal mines. As soon as you try to say you enjoyed a vibrant city centre in Leeds, Liverpool Birmingham etc you're soon slammed with a "well why don't you move there rather than slag off Sheffield" or words to that effect. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Well Liverpool under Hatton was down and out for the count. I think the city was up to its neck in debt and led by a donkey who thought the people were his private army rather than him being their servant.

http://www.stgeorgesquarter.org/freedom-liverpool-recipient-lord-heseltine-returns-liverpool-conversation-evening/

Hesseltine was indeed a very unlikely champion for Liverpool. Perhaps Sheffield is a job for William Hague to take on once he steps down from politics.

You seem to have made the same mistakes as emma royd. I can't for the life of me think why. Anyway, let's correct your facts.

Michael Heseltine (note spelling) visited Liverpool after the Toxteth riots of 1981. At the time Liverpool City Council was run by the Liberal Party. Labour took over in 1983 and even then Derek Hatton wasn't leader. He was deputy leader. John Hamilton was leader.

William Hague has never had anything to do with Sheffield which doesn't have anything to do with Tories. You might be a Tory but even one or two Tories might be clever enough to work out that Sheffield today is nothing like Liverpool in the early 80s.

I was in Liverpool this last week. It is difficult to imagine this was the same run down city that Derek Hatton led in the 1980s. Michael Hesseltine was given the freedom of Liverpool by the Labour Council because of his efforts in creating the transformation.

Last week the place was alive. During the day folks sat outside pubs and cafes all over the city. Liverpool 1 was buzzing. The docks area was filled with folks. In the evenings the city centre was packed. There are still scruffy bits but the opptimism of the locals is fantastic.

The transformation was incredible. Could the same be done in Sheffield?

let us know when the docks are full of ships exporting all over the world

Liverpool has the big advantage of overseas and come to think of it UK tourist visiting and spending.

Have an attraction and people will visit.

The power of the beatles even now should not be underestimated.

The "City of Culture" thing, although widely mocked, certainly helped Liverpool get on the map and encouraged investment and a whole new way of looking at themselves.

I'll repeat it until I'm blue in the face but other cities seem to grasp whatever advantages or opportunities they have and go with them. Liverpool; brilliant, Lincoln; terrific, Birmingham; redeveloped their canal basin - can't move for punters. Sheffield - I know someone who has lived here for 20 years who didn't even know we had a canal basin.

And don't lets start blaming "t'council" . Some of it is old fashioned curmudgeonly attitudes of the people who live here.

The "City of Culture" thing, although widely mocked, certainly helped Liverpool get on the map and encouraged investment and a whole new way of looking at themselves.

I'll repeat it until I'm blue in the face but other cities seem to grasp whatever advantages or opportunities they have and go with them. Liverpool; brilliant, Lincoln; terrific, Birmingham; redeveloped their canal basin - can't move for punters. Sheffield - I know someone who has lived here for 20 years who didn't even know we had a canal basin.

And don't lets start blaming "t'council" . Some of it is old fashioned curmudgeonly attitudes of the people who live here.

Correctamundo. It's not something that's exclusive to Sheffield though. I found myself driving through (often on wide, pretty well maintained country roads) derbyshire and Nottinghamshire pit villages surrounded by lovely countryside and later Sherwood Forest. Some of these places had train stations to boot but with the exception of centre parks it's still "just" former pit villages where you can buy a house for the price of a potato and the locals are still waiting in many cases for sir Arthur to ride up on a grubby pit pony and open the mines again.

As far as waterways are concerned it's unfair to compare us with those 3 cities. Liverpool is known for its docks. Birmingham is known for having more miles of canal than Venice and Lincoln is so small its canal basin takes up a fair part of its city centre. I'd guess most Sheffielders would know a lot about our rivers given their role in stimulating steel production, and canals are a poor second. Other than the Tinsley canal how many do we have?

Perhaps you should read this.

Former Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Secretary, Lord Heseltine

A key figure and most famously known throughout Liverpool for his work to help revive the city after the Toxteth Riots and instrumental in the redevelopment of the Albert Dock when the Merseyside Development Corporation was set up in 1981.

Yes, let's break this down shall we to the things that really matter.

More of the same from Wikki.

"Heseltine became the troubleshooter to deal with the explosion of violence in Britain's inner cities in the aftermath of the Brixton and Toxteth riots during the early 1980s. As Environment Secretary in 1981 he opened Britain's first Enterprise Zone at Corby in Northamptonshire".

Northamptonshire! Well that's over 150 miles away, so that's nowhere near Toxteth is it?

"Heseltine was responsible for developing the policies that led to five bi-annual National Garden Festivals starting in 1984".

Ah, so that must have been the bit about the trees people complained about at the time, very handy after a riot! :rolleyes:

"He established Development Corporations that were directly appointed by the minister and overrode local authority planning controls, a controversial measure in Labour strongholds such as East London, Merseyside and North East England".

From Wiki

" Heseltine was seen as a "One Nation" Tory, epitomised by his support for the regeneration of the City of Liverpool, at a time when it was facing economic collapse. The subsequent transformation of Liverpool, with his support, saw Heseltine having the award of Freeman of the City of Liverpool bestowed upon him in 2012"

"With his support!" Well as Environment Secretary, that was his job wasn't it?

Yes, let's break this down shall we to the things that really matter.

More of the same from Wikki.

"Heseltine became the troubleshooter to deal with the explosion of violence in Britain's inner cities in the aftermath of the Brixton and Toxteth riots during the early 1980s. As Environment Secretary in 1981 he opened Britain's first Enterprise Zone at Corby in Northamptonshire".

Northamptonshire! Well that's over 150 miles away, so that's nowhere near Toxteth is it?

"Heseltine was responsible for developing the policies that led to five bi-annual National Garden Festivals starting in 1984".

Ah, so that must have been the bit about the trees people complained about at the time, very handy after a riot! :rolleyes:

"He established Development Corporations that were directly appointed by the minister and overrode local authority planning controls, a controversial measure in Labour strongholds such as East London, Merseyside and North East England".

From Wiki

" Heseltine was seen as a "One Nation" Tory, epitomised by his support for the regeneration of the City of Liverpool, at a time when it was facing economic collapse. The subsequent transformation of Liverpool, with his support, saw Heseltine having the award of Freeman of the City of Liverpool bestowed upon him in 2012"

"With his support!" Well as Environment Secretary, that was his job wasn't it?

Oh dear. You don't like the truth do you. Isn't it odd how well those in Liverpool speak of Michael Hesseltine. He is a local hero there.Liverpool was perhaps the worst city in England 50 years ago and going downhill fast. Hesseltine got involved and brought about real change. Liverpool City of Culture is now a real gem of a place. But those in Sheffield sneer and make excuses which is why Sheffield is still on the descent.

---------- Post added 30-07-2014 at 19:02 ----------

As far as waterways are concerned it's unfair to compare us with those 3 cities. Liverpool is known for its docks. Birmingham is known for having more miles of canal than Venice and Lincoln is so small its canal basin takes up a fair part of its city centre. I'd guess most Sheffielders would know a lot about our rivers given their role in stimulating steel production, and canals are a poor second. Other than the Tinsley canal how many do we have?

Liverpool was until recently known for its derelict docks. It was a no go area pretty much like Docklands in London. The city regenerated themselves. It takes more than replacing the city centre with student flats.

Sheffield's canal comes right into the city. It finishes alongside the railway station on Pond Street. It runs for miles through Sheffield from Meadowhall. Almost every yard of it a bloody mess.

---------- Post added 30-07-2014 at 19:10 ----------

let us know when the docks are full of ships exporting all over the world

OK...

http://www.portstrategy.com/news101/world/europe/peel-ports-raises-funds-for-future-growth

17 Dec 2012

The UK's Peel Ports Group has successfully completed a £1.6bn refinancing deal, with money raised from a variety of banks and private investors, to fund its future growth plans.

The funding, which includes £150m from the European Investment Bank, will be used for Peel Port’s development plans for the coming year. This includes a £300m investment in the construction of the deep water container terminal, Liverpool2.

Graeme Charnock, chief financial officer of Peel Ports, said: “The strong support we have received from banks and investors is testament to their confidence in the future plans of the Peel Ports Group."

"We have refinanced our existing facilities, and created a diversified and flexible funding platform to support our growth strategy, which includes the development of the Liverpool2 container terminal," he added.

The new terminal at the UK’s Port of Liverpool, located on the River Mersey, will enable some of the world’s largest container vessels to call at the port, which are capable of carrying 13,500 containers – a considerable increase compared to the current limit of 3,500.

It also aims to cut costs, reduce emissions and remove over 150 million miles of transport from the UK’s rail and roads.

Work on the new terminal is due to start in early 2013 and operations are expected to begin in 2015

- See more at: http://www.portstrategy.com/news101/world/europe/peel-ports-raises-funds-for-future-growth#sthash.Dp5WVgoH.dpuf

Edited by emma royd