'Impact' Exercise and Ruined Joints

I imagine armed forces personal, don't do much running in running shoes. I would think running in boots, to be a lot more harmful to joints than running in trainers.

If you do run though, it's wise to be careful and aware of any niggles as and when they develop. Maybe focus on building muscles around the joints. Stretching before and after a run isn't a bad idea, also, slowly building it up, how much you do. Don't do too much, too soon etc.

Main advice, I'd say, is just build it up slowly and enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Emil Zatopek used to do long training runs in army boots. But then he was a one off. Don't forget that the army guys have heavy rucksacks as well!

I agree with most of your advice, especially the part about building up slowly and carefully. Although I wouldn't stretch before running, it's generally not thought to be a good idea (stretching cold muscles). It's ok if you stretch after a warm up though.

Might also be an idea to go and get fitted for running shoes? Depends if you want to get into running though as they're not that cheap.

I was reluctant to take part in this as I'm no expert but I have trained for many years and still do and can only advise on what fitness has done for me.

I trained on heavy weights for about 10 years got strong and in good shape, I now get back ache and my left shoulder is dodgy, I blame the weights also I have run and it hurts my lower legs and to be honest done very little running but I do a lot of cycling and train as if I was racing and its done no damage to my knees and dis-agree that cycling is like weight training on the legs, it does build them but the impact is mainly on your thighs rather than your joints so if you want to get fit without the fear of joint damage, take up cycling

Wise words Sharpend. I run a lot and I`d sooner end up with a hip replacement than diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc

I think everyone would like to avoid diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc :)

Thing is that extreme cardiovascular fitness isn't going to help- plenty of very fit runners have died from heart attacks, including the guy who popularised jogging.

If someones after health, on balance, walking is probably best- proven to be beneficial and with much less risk of the injuries that plague running.

I'm not knocking running- a perfectly good pursuit, but, if health is the priority, it has issues when compared to walking.

And also, with running, it's important to not be overweight- the current trend for using running as a weight loss method for the obese, is just asking for trouble.

I think everyone would like to avoid diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc :)

Thing is that extreme cardiovascular fitness isn't going to help- plenty of very fit runners have died from heart attacks, including the guy who popularised jogging.

If someones after health, on balance, walking is probably best- proven to be beneficial and with much less risk of the injuries that plague running.

I'm not knocking running- a perfectly good pursuit, but, if health is the priority, it has issues when compared to walking.

And also, with running, it's important to not be overweight- the current trend for using running as a weight loss method for the obese, is just asking for trouble.

Very wise words, a year ago I would have dis-agreed with you but I sometimes wonder if running is good for the heart, I'm extremely fit and had a heart atttack in October with suspicion but not proven it was exercise induced.

I have trained, not exercised on a bicycle for many years and still do but it does make you wonder

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

Last year I think I averaged around 120 miles per month, and generally felt really good for it. Vibrantly healthy in fact, imagine my body was flooded with endorphins! Haven't had any problems to speak of, aside from a weakness in one ankle, which flares up at times (it does anyway, even if not running). If problems do develop with joints, there's always RICE.

Not sure what the incidence rate is with heart attacks and running, anyone have any data on that to compare with other sports?

Very wise words, a year ago I would have dis-agreed with you but I sometimes wonder if running is good for the heart, I'm extremely fit and had a heart atttack in October with suspicion but not proven it was exercise induced.

I have trained, not exercised on a bicycle for many years and still do but it does make you wonder

Gentle jogging 2/3 times a week for 20 minutes is generally considered good for health, and, is unlikely to stress the heart (unless you push it). Unless you're overweight of course, in which case there'd be a fair chance of injuries to knees, risk of plantar fasciitis etc.

Training for marathons is likely to be detrimental to health: it'll improve cardiovascular fitness of course, but fitness does not equal health.

Blood tests done on marathon runners have shown the presence of chemicals of the type normally seen in heart attack victims.

http://www.active.com/articles/new-study-cites-link-between-marathon-running-and-some-heart-attack-factors

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=marathon%20heart%20attack%20blood&safe=off

In people want health, they need to start with diet- diet trumps exercise by quite a lot: plant-strong, low fat, unprocessed foods is where to start.

Best exercise for health is walking. Mild gentle running if you feel the need for it.

If you push it, fair enough, your choice, but realise that you're not training for health at that point.

Incidently, this is good news- it's a lot easier to acheive health than many people think- not only do you not have to kill yourself by 'going to the limit', but, if you do, then you're actively going against your health goals.

And for those who are fond of pushing it, no problem- if you love running marathon distances, then you'll continue to do so, just don't be assuming that it's good for your health.

Blood tests done on marathon runners have shown the presence of chemicals of the type normally seen in heart attack victims.

http://www.active.com/articles/new-study-cites-link-between-marathon-running-and-some-heart-attack-factors

That's because the diagnostic blood test for heart attack is searching for the presence of muscle damage.

"On the basis of early stage markers, runners can be overdiagnosed with heart attack," Siegel said. He believes the high levels of creatine kinase-MB and hence the false-positive result are released by injured skeletal muscle, rather than heart muscle in the runners.

In people want health, they need to start with diet- diet trumps exercise by quite a lot: plant-strong, low fat, unprocessed foods is where to start.

This is not what a lot of dieticians now believe.

This is not what a lot of dieticians now believe.

Yes. eg-

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/healthy-eating/the-full-fat-diet-is-not-as-unhealthy-as-you-think-30468627.html

Oh...and I should stress that, by 'low fat', I was talking about foods naturally low in fat e.g. unprocessed vegetables, fruit etc- not the processed 'low fat' junk sold in supermarkets, eg yoghurts with the fat extracted and replaced by sugars/hfcs and other 'alternatives'.

Edited by onewheeldave

I have recently had issues with my hip joint and tendon due to running, but its not the running.. its my technique and my flat feet! When i run my feet go in and my ankles come out..and i stick my ass out.. yeah picture that! Over the years this has caused me to use different muscles first and put pressure on my hips,

Im under a physio at the minute and eventually once my tendon is relaxed and my muscles are retrained to work in the right order.. (various stretches, lunges and bridges every hour) I will then have to use insoles in my trainers to support my feet properly.

Basically i dont think any exercise is bad.. as long as its done correctly and you're wearing the right gear, dont go running a 5k in plimsoles.. get proper running trainers that support your feet, lifting weights.. get guidance on your posture and stance. Listen to your body, if its painful (and I dont mean the DOMS) you're doing it wrong.

I think within reason, anything is possible, as long as the changes you are making are gradual, so that your body has time to adapt to the increased workload. Listening to your body and backing off if necessary is key, especially if you're on the more senior side.

I'd wager that the majority of the people in that study with heart damage didn't train properly for the distance.