'Impact' Exercise and Ruined Joints

Hi all

I was speaking to a friend who used to be a marine and still has dealings with the army. I was talking about exercising and he asked me what I did, so I advised that, in the gym, I warm up on the rowing machine, jog/run between a mile and 2 miles on the treadmill and do an all over weights workout just using dumbbells, cable machine and squats etc.

He shook his head and advised me that none of that is really any good as the impact exercise will damage my knees and he had to have shin splints due to all of the jogging and running he did. He also said that weights will inflame joints and cause wear and tear, meaning that they do more harm than good. He suggested stopping what I'm doing and taking up swimming and/or cycling.

I'm not 'bulking up' with weights, just trying to tone and get fitter, as with the cardio stuff - I don't want to compete in any races, just keep my weight down and not get out of breath walking up hills.

Should I take his advice and stop my current routine, or is what I'm doing perfectly ok because I'm actually strengthening joints and muscles? I feel fine doing what I'm doing, and even seeing/feeling positive results without any injuries. There's so much contradictory info and advice out there, I'm a bit torn as to what to do.

Cheers

is this guy or gal a Dr, coach or physio?

is this guy or gal a Dr, coach or physio?

No, which is why I didn't take his advice at face value. But, I have heard similar from health professionals. That's what I meant about conflicting information and advice.

Running can definitely damage joints and cause injuries like plantar fasciitis etc- but if you're reasonably lean and take it easy, a few 20 minute runs shouldn't be damaging.

I think he's wrong about the weights though- as long as you don't go too heavy and/or overdo it, they can only be good for you.

He's right that impact exercise is bad for joints. But working with weights should not be impact exercise if you are doing it right. Think about it: he's recommending swimming and cycling, which are also working with weights - pulling the water back to pull yourself forwards, pushing pedals to drive yourself forwards.

A well-planned low-impact workout should not cause you any problems, as long as you are pulling/lifting the weight straight. Get your back, arms, or legs in the wrong position, i.e. twisted, and you will have problems. Modern gym machines are designed to ensure that doesn't happen.

Another hint: don't concentrate on exercise for exercise's sake. Do exercises you enjoy, even if they aren't labelled as such. I find that an evening of dance is really good exercise and a valuable cardio workout, but it's fun for its own sake. Similarly, walking, swimming, cycling etc.: if you enjoy them, do them for the pleasure and gain the fitness incidentally.

At the start of this year I was edging towards 18 stone and i thought enough's enough so I started doing Body combat and body pump at the SIV venues across the city. The combat is pure cardio work and the pump keeps you toned without bulking up. 6 months later I'm down to 14 stone and feel tremendous and having gone from XXL shirts i'm now in M/S. Weight loss and getting fit can be achieved without high impact activities.

onewheeldave, Jive Knight are you guys a coach a physio or a Dr?

ANYTHING CAN be bad for you if you do it wrong - crossing the road for example can be deadly...

The world is full of people willing to give you advice.

I would suggest you get more specific about what you want - then you can get better advice than you are doing at the moment.

What is your current state of fitness for example?

Walking up hill without getting out of breath isn't a stretching goal as far as fitness is concerned - but it is if you are a 60 a day smoker or recovering from major illness.

Wise words Sharpend. I run a lot and I`d sooner end up with a hip replacement than diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc

You have to remember that this Royal Marine would have Yomped some serious milage, which would have put his joints under some serious strain.

I would say that impact exercise is alright along as your not doing it when you're really tired. For example, pounding the streets mile after mile well after you've lost your zip may well put extra strain on your joints, so it's a case of being aware of this and looking after yourself on long runs.

I imagine armed forces personal, don't do much running in running shoes. I would think running in boots, to be a lot more harmful to joints than running in trainers.

If you do run though, it's wise to be careful and aware of any niggles as and when they develop. Maybe focus on building muscles around the joints. Stretching before and after a run isn't a bad idea, also, slowly building it up, how much you do. Don't do too much, too soon etc.

Main advice, I'd say, is just build it up slowly and enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Cheers for the advice everyone. You've made me feel better about what I'm doing and where I'm aiming for.

Sharpend - all I meant with my 'goals' is that I'm not aiming to run any marathons or anything like that, so I'm not spending hours on a treadmill each week. I'm happy being able to do 5k in 25 minutes.

When I started to lose weight 3 years ago, I was around 20 stone, and I'm now between 12 and 12 1/2, and I feel great for it. Just when people tell me things, it makes me think.

5k in 25 mins is a pretty decent goal.:thumbsup:

I agree what a couple of people have said.

Touchy feely technqiue and making sure everything is OK doesn't sound like the marines school of doing stuff.

Good job on the weight loss so far.

Can you get to Rother Valley park run on saturday mornings ?

Loads of people around to swap stories and what works for them and what doesn't.

(fwiw - I am a UK athletics level 2 coach qualified to coach speed and endurace events)