Newfield School

I've heard terrible things about Newfield. Where do the children who go to Newfield come from? I'm confused because the primary schools in the area (Meersbrook Bank, Carfield, Mundella) are good schools and the children mostly seem pleasant and well behaved. What changes when they get to Newfield??? What other primary schools do they come from?

Edited by amazon123

That`s a big brush you`re tarring those kids with. My friend`s daughter likes it and is doing really well.

That`s a big brush you`re tarring those kids with. My friend`s daughter likes it and is doing really well.

I'm not tarring them - Ofsted are. The school has received consistently terrible inspection reports over and over again and the GCSE results are low. This seems odd considering the good results from feeder schools such as Meersbrook Bank, Carfield and Mundella. What other primary schools feed into it?

All surrounding area, the ones you mentioned as well as Norton, gleadless valley, heeley green. I left 20 years ago and loved it!! don't know what it is like now though

We have several children from Newfield school in the pst in the youth club i used to volunteer at , They were lovely children all did well at school until newfield sadly the levels of good teaching , good discipline has gone out of the window , especially if your child has special needs , sorry but I would never send any child in my care there.

What changes when they get to Newfield???

Their age is my guess. With a bit of help from who people hang around with whilst there, and I'm sure many other secondary schools are the same, kids can surely change to no end. I left in '08 just before the major changes happened such as twinning the school with Talbot and I haven't read much about it from Ofsted since then, but I'd have thought it would have improved since. :confused:

There's good and bad with it, as with the kids and everyone who works there, but like I've said, I don't think it's specifically a problem with Newfield...

I believe Valley Park, Bankwood and Norton Free are also in the catchment area x

I've heard terrible things about Newfield. Where do the children who go to Newfield come from? I'm confused because the primary schools in the area (Meersbrook Bank, Carfield, Mundella) are good schools and the children mostly seem pleasant and well behaved. What changes when they get to Newfield??? What other primary schools do they come from?

What a strange first post. I hear terrible things about lots of things but I don't feel the need to start a thread about what I've 'heard'. If I was incensed at something that had happened to me personally, that might prompt me to start a thread.

So you 'hear' that Newfield is bad, yet you 'know' that Meersbrook Bank, Carfield and Mundella are good, how do you know?

What a strange first post...

Nothing strange about it at all, as far as I can see, Mr Bloom. Quite a common situation I would say, from my own past experience as the parent of a child making such a move in that very same catchment area

A parent who has a child at either Meersbrook Bank, Carfield, or Mundella, and who knows other parents who have children at those primary schools (and so knows they are ok), and is concerned about the next stage in their child’s education, ie the move to Secondary School. They know little about Newfield apart from ”terrible things” they have heard and quite rightly want to get a more accurate picture.

They hear that Sheffield Forum is the fount of all knowledge and so they join and make a first post to get a broader opinion. And what do they get? They get you, Mr Bloom.

My daughter attends Newfield too,top school as far as I'm aware, I moved her from Firth Park, which has become rather? Well what can you say? She joined half term last year and is doing 110% better as she's really rather intelligent and the school seems to encourage her.

As for area I live Cat lane end, I have endeavoured to bring my children up well, they are polite and respectful at all times and God forbid if I hear they are not.

The problem may actually come from Valley kid's whom I have noticed leave a lot to be desired by way of attitude and respect to others. Though I am sure most parent's do try to make sure they're kids behave.

I hope the school will start doing LOADS better now Mr Eldridge is the head - he was the deputy head when I attended King Ecgbert School - nothing but nice things to say about him as a teacher :)

Nothing strange about it at all, as far as I can see, Mr Bloom. Quite a common situation I would say, from my own past experience as the parent of a child making such a move in that very same catchment area

A parent who has a child at either Meersbrook Bank, Carfield, or Mundella, and who knows other parents who have children at those primary schools (and so knows they are ok), and is concerned about the next stage in their child’s education, ie the move to Secondary School. They know little about Newfield apart from ”terrible things” they have heard and quite rightly want to get a more accurate picture.

They hear that Sheffield Forum is the fount of all knowledge and so they join and make a first post to get a broader opinion. And what do they get? They get you, Mr Bloom.

Wow. Thank you for filling the dots in there. You obviously know the OP and his/her reasons for posting very well. Well, my suspicions that the OP might have an agenda, a grudge against the school, is ignorant of the facts, or is just a plain and simple troll, have now been totally quashed. Thank you.

---------- Post added 30-07-2014 at 23:11 ----------

I'm not tarring them - Ofsted are. The school has received consistently terrible inspection reports over and over again and the GCSE results are low. This seems odd considering the good results from feeder schools such as Meersbrook Bank, Carfield and Mundella. What other primary schools feed into it?

With respect to 'results', are you comparing in-house teacher based grades with external assessments?

Edited by Mr Bloom