Wasted Day / Sat Around Waiting

It's a very small bit of work, you're probably contact the wrong people, and you didn't go about it very well...

You want a gardener, not a landscape gardener, and it's not unreasonable that they will be booked up in advance, fitting in such a small bit of work might not be worth it when you factor in the travel.

I'd suggest that you could probably have trimmed the bush yourself in your 5 hours sat around...

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 15:22 ----------

Good point, they are probably out doing landscape gardening, not checking their voicemail.

I do all my own gardening work and not afraid to tackle anything, so its not that I'm idle.

I have a long term back problem in which I have to watch what I do as my back slips easily out of joint and when it does I am unable to move without hospital intervention, I also have nerve damage in both legs which restricts my mobility - the bush in question is well above my height and my garden is on a slope so I dare not risk using a step ladder whilst on my own incase the step ladder slips and I fall to the ground and my back goes into spasm.

I do not have either a chain saw or hedge trimmer - for me to buy one for this job is not viable - the bush is too big to attempt with secateurs and then there's the problem of getting rid of all the cuttings.......SO, as you can see I need the services of someone to do it for me.

And incidently, All contacts I have made so far have had to be by texting as I am hard of hearing and unable to use the phone.

Yeah, fair enough. I have a gardener do my garden simply because I've got better things to do with my time.

I still think you were expecting a bit much, people to reply within the working day (when they are presumably working) and to do what to them is a small bit of work, and a one off, they're probably all hoping for regular work that takes several hours a go.

Yeah, fair enough. I have a gardener do my garden simply because I've got better things to do with my time.

I still think you were expecting a bit much, people to reply within the working day (when they are presumably working) and to do what to them is a small bit of work, and a one off, they're probably all hoping for regular work that takes several hours a go.

Supposing they haven't got any work on (afterall there are quite a number of Landscape gardening places about ) and are offered work no matter how small the job is, surely its better to earn money than turn it down ?

I believe the going rate for the job I wanted doing is £30....... at the most it would take them 1/2 hour.......wish I could get a job that pays £30 for half an hour's work.

Supposing they haven't got any work on (afterall there are quite a number of Landscape gardening places about ) and are offered work no matter how small the job is, surely its better to earn money than turn it down ?

I believe the going rate for the job I wanted doing is £30....... at the most it would take them 1/2 hour.......wish I could get a job that pays £30 for half an hour's work.

Just one thing though john,the half hours work is really more,the cost of travel to your place in a van or pick up and the disposal of your cuttings has to be factored in,the advert you saw is not free and each job helps to pay for such things,insurance tax.So your £30 job is not 100% profit,it would be great if all these small jobs were.

Supposing that the ones you phoned were actually busy as it's the middle of summer. Why get grumpy that they don't get back in touch immediately.

And in addition to the factors that janlizzy just mentioned, they also have to buy equipment and fuel. £30 for that 1/2 hour job might actually be £15 profit for an hour of work.

This morning looked in Yellow Pages trying to find a localised landscape gardening person to come out and trim back and shape a large bush in my garden.

Found two - contacted the first one, having sat around for over an hour awaiting a responce to my enquiry and not recieved one, contacted the second one......sat around waiting for a responce another hour, finally a message was recieved from the second contact in which it was stated they would call at a certain time to give me a quote.

I had initiated my enquiries at 9-30am, the time was now 2-15pm and I had got no further in getting the job done, despite my telling both companies that I was working to a tight schedule this week in having to get some jobs done myself.

This is what gave me the impression that you wanted them to come that day or at least that week. See emboldened phrases.