Wasted Day / Sat Around Waiting

This morning looked in Yellow Pages trying to find a localised landscape gardening person to come out and trim back and shape a large bush in my garden.

Found two - contacted the first one, having sat around for over an hour awaiting a responce to my enquiry and not recieved one, contacted the second one......sat around waiting for a responce another hour, finally a message was recieved from the second contact in which it was stated they would call at a certain time to give me a quote.

I had initiated my enquiries at 9-30am, the time was now 2-15pm and I had got no further in getting the job done, despite my telling both companies that I was working to a tight schedule this week in having to get some jobs done myself.

When the second contacted company arrived, I explained what I wanted doing and asked when they could start - couldn't give me a direct answer.

What is wrong with people these days, you offer them work and they don't want to know ?

me busy sorry. the summer always busy with garden. cheep rights.

You cannot expect tradesmen to be available on the day you want a job doing if you only contact them on that day. You need to book them weeks in advance. They don't just sit around all day in the hope you will call them. If they are any good, their diaries will be pretty full.

You cannot expect tradesmen to be available on the day you want a job doing if you only contact them on that day. You need to book them weeks in advance. They don't just sit around all day in the hope you will call them. If they are any good, their diaries will be pretty full.

Did he expect them to be available on the day?:huh:

I thought he said, when asked when they could start - couldn't give me a direct answer. :)

You didn't read my post right......I didn't expect them to start on the day I contacted them.

I asked them when they could start and did not recieve a direct answer, was given a business card and told to contact them again.

The first business I contacted haven't come back to me at all !

Id not look under Landscapers to get a bush trimmed, more in the local shops windows.

Unless its Sherwood Forest you are after cutting back it wont be much of a job in the busy season.

This morning looked in Yellow Pages trying to find a localised landscape gardening person to come out and trim back and shape a large bush in my garden.

Found two - contacted the first one, having sat around for over an hour awaiting a responce to my enquiry and not recieved one, contacted the second one......sat around waiting for a responce another hour, finally a message was recieved from the second contact in which it was stated they would call at a certain time to give me a quote.

I had initiated my enquiries at 9-30am, the time was now 2-15pm and I had got no further in getting the job done, despite my telling both companies that I was working to a tight schedule this week in having to get some jobs done myself.

When the second contacted company arrived, I explained what I wanted doing and asked when they could start - couldn't give me a direct answer.

What is wrong with people these days, you offer them work and they don't want to know ?

I know what you mean. I have had similar problems trying to get a quote from someone to do my garage roof. They either didn't show up or didn't get back to me with a quote. In the end a friend did it, and we gave him the money instead.

What happened to good old fashioned communication? A quick phone call, even to say they're not interested, doesn't take a minute, and is at least a professional response.

You spoke directly to both people and they promised to call you back??

or you left them an answerphone message and waited to be contacted??

It's a very small bit of work, you're probably contact the wrong people, and you didn't go about it very well...

You want a gardener, not a landscape gardener, and it's not unreasonable that they will be booked up in advance, fitting in such a small bit of work might not be worth it when you factor in the travel.

I'd suggest that you could probably have trimmed the bush yourself in your 5 hours sat around...

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 15:22 ----------

You spoke directly to both people and they promised to call you back??

or you left them an answerphone message and waited to be contacted??

Good point, they are probably out doing landscape gardening, not checking their voicemail.

True and TBH if they can come the same day if sets off alarm bells for me

True and TBH if they can come the same day if sets off alarm bells for me

I needed someone to trim my bush (fnur) last year and spotted that other houses on my road used the same guy so I approached him one time and got a card from him. He did a quick recce but I didn't want it done immediately because there were birds nesting in there (fnur fnur). When I was ready I got in touch with him but for a few weeks he was either booked up or having trouble with his vehicle. It's no biggy. It won't harm anyone to wait a few weeks and when he came (ooh, now stop it!) he was great.