Binmen query that confuses me.

Hi

If I want to send a letter, why do I have to take it to the post box myself when the post man walks past my house every day. It seems like the postie is as lazy as the bin men!

There was a time when you could post your letters in a post box on the Sheffield trams, a mobile post box, I think it started in 1902 and ended at the start of WW2. We could get the bin lorries fitted with post boxes, a way to solve the problem of junk mail?

What I would like to know is why can't the bin-men put the bins back where they take them from?

I get a wee bit sick of having to move several bins off my drive because they are too lazy to take them back a few yards.

Also the mess they make when tipping the part filled blue bins into a black one, thus leaving a trail of paper/plastic all over the street.

It's not as if the council clean our streets very often is it? So some of us sweep etc outside our homes. But with the next gust of wind?

What I would like to know is why can't the bin-men put the bins back where they take them from?

I get a wee bit sick of having to move several bins off my drive because they are too lazy to take them back a few yards.

Also the mess they make when tipping the part filled blue bins into a black one, thus leaving a trail of paper/plastic all over the street.

It's not as if the council clean our streets very often is it? So some of us sweep etc outside our homes. But with the next gust of wind?

It's not because they are lazy, it's because they can save a few seconds by not putting the bins back, a few seconds is not much but by the end of the day they could have saved up to thirty standard minutes which means more bonus.

Wow, I can only say the bin men we have have been brilliant over the years, they work pretty fast and in hot weather it's hard work....In some case's they have to empty disabled people's bins which are often keep yards away in back yards and up/down steps, not good in heavy snow and rain etc...not to mention enduring the honking horns of impatient drivers when they block the road for a few minutes...I think they are worth every penny and we are lucky to have them.......

My mate was a bin man for years and he told me the only reason they run about like ants and empty bins is to finish early,. its simply when the round is done its home time.

My mate was a bin man for years and he told me the only reason they run about like ants and empty bins is to finish early,. its simply when the round is done its home time.

Back in the sixties and seventies they DID rush to finish early BUT they had a second fiddle job, they could walk off site say at 11:00am but they had to go back to the depot to clock out at their finishing time.The S.C.C.D turned a blind eye to all this activity. It's all changed now but a bonus system is in operation.

The reason they run isn't because of enthusiasm for the job it's because they are on a bonus scheme and they have to hit a target to get a good bonus, it's all down to standard minutes of Time & Motion.

haha @lazarus i wish they was on a bonus i can guarantee you that's not the case at all.

---------- Post added 02-08-2014 at 18:14 ----------

So you never saw time study men accompanying the bin-men with stop watches then? This happened around the time when cleaning contracts were put out by the council, if I had access to the councils facts and figures I'd paste them on here. Just why do you think they run from bin to bin? It's not to keep fit, it's not to finish early, it's to empty their quota of bins to get a bonus. I thought everybody knew that

so lazarus again i feel the need to correct you .the man with the stop watch does not exist but you may have seen a time and motion man monitoring the men to make sure they are working accordinley the bin men do not get work a quota bonus at all your talking rubbish and veolia have the contract for 25 year so they dont need there contract renewing .

haha @lazarus i wish they was on a bonus i can guarantee you that's not the case at all.

---------- Post added 02-08-2014 at 18:14 ----------

so lazarus again i feel the need to correct you .the man with the stop watch does not exist but you may have seen a time and motion man monitoring the men to make sure they are working accordinley the bin men do not get work a quota bonus at all your talking rubbish and veolia have the contract for 25 year so they dont need there contract renewing .

Sorry but when you are being timed for a bonus scheme you do things just a little bit slower or differently and when you get a time for the job you revert to your normal working technique and work just a bit faster, hence the running. Nobody would stand having to run doing a job without there is something at the end for them. The time & motion men I saw was when S.C.C.D. were about to go out to contract, Veolia don't need the contract renewing because the men are doing the job correctly and emptying the required quota of bins. The men have to get something out of all that running and I don't mean a slim figure.

Sorry but when you are being timed for a bonus scheme you do things just a little bit slower or differently and when you get a time for the job you revert to your normal working technique and work just a bit faster, hence the running. Nobody would stand having to run doing a job without there is something at the end for them. The time & motion men I saw was when S.C.C.D. were about to go out to contract, Veolia don't need the contract renewing because the men are doing the job correctly and emptying the required quota of bins. The men have to get something out of all that running and I don't mean a slim figure.

this will be my last reply as everything you write is wrong and i know this and i'm not going to give anymore information as you obviously know better than some one with inside knowledge.and you are making yourself look silly with all the rubbish your writing.

Edited by charlie 1
additional wording

this will be my last reply as everything you write is wrong and i know this and i'm not going to give anymore information as you obviously know better than some one with inside knowledge.and you are making yourself look silly with all the rubbish your writing.

Just answer one question, why do they work at such a pace?