The London experiment is over.. for now.

Firstly, let's get the name right. It's not "London " as we are north of Birmingham it's pronounced "that there london".

That there London is a vast city with high levels of immigrants, high levels of both wealth and poverty and it's a total cow to try and park in and get around in a car - like most major cities accross the globe. It's hugely different to any city I've been to in the uk and I've been to most. But it's not a surprise that that there london is like that though is it? Fast paced, crowded?

The thing I don't like about London is that as soon as people have lived there for a bit, they develop a snotty attitude, feeling like they're superior and looking down on anyone who lives in a provincial city like Sheffield as if they're somehow better than we are. The OP is a perfect example of this.

It appears you worked in a different London to the place I've worked for the last four and a half years.

I love Sheffield and Sheffield will always be "home" to me, but I really don't get why there seems to be this hatred of London. Sure it has its problems, as does Sheffield, but it's also an amazing city and home to some wonderful people. When you get to know them, southerners are not that different to normal people*.

*except for their inability to make a decent cuppa.

I think it's the water that causes that particular problem, not any lack of ability per se.

Personally I don't like London. I've worked there, and lived there during the week, but it would be low down on my list of places I'd like to live.

Too big, too busy and too far from any real green space. (And no, multiples of 1 sqr mile of park, crawling with people doesn't count IMO).

London is just different. Its a lot more interesting imo, but it also has a lot of negatives. The key is are you earning enough down there to make it worth your while, afford somewhere decent to live etc. If you are onlu on a low salary then I imagine its going to feel very much dog eat dog.

London's a brilliant place to visit, very vibrant and with so much to do.

It's a horrible place to live and work tho.

The thing I don't like about London is that as soon as people have lived there for a bit, they develop a snotty attitude, feeling like they're superior and looking down on anyone who lives in a provincial city like Sheffield as if they're somehow better than we are. The OP is a perfect example of this.

I only know a couple of people who have moved down to London, but it hasn't changed them as people.

Maybe there's another reason why you get the sense that they think they're better than you....

I usually find when people livining in London do finally leave the place and visit other cities they are nearly falling over themselves with how cheap property and the general cost of living is.

I remember being asked "where are your other housemates then" by one friend who came up to visit.

They wouldn't believe it was just the two of us living in the house.

London's a brilliant place to visit, very vibrant and with so much to do.

It's a horrible place to live and work tho.

Londoners don't live in London. Given its size they only live in part of it. I know people who live and work in the same borough and don't leave it very often. Even people who commute into the City or West End will only see a small part of it. You can live there for years but only see a fraction of it and a lot of that is underground.