Fly in food cabinet at Costa Orchard Square today

Did you by any chance have a cake at Costa in Waterstones this afternoon? If you are feeling a bit squiffy, it may be be because there was a big fat fly trapped in the cake display counter. It was crawling all over a lemon drizzle slice :gag: Now I doubt that it's only stop off was for a vomit on the lemon drizzle variety & god knows how long it had been in there. When I pointed it out, the girls opened the cabinet, took out the tray of drizzle cakes, shooed the fly off, threw just the one drizzle slice away (the one I saw the fly on), then put the tray back into the display!

Is it just me being overly hygienific, but shouldn't they have taken out & disposed of ALL the cakes in there, cleaned the cabinet & put fresh stock in???

So what do you do when a fly gets into your kitchen? Evacuate and fumigate?

Edited by Kdv1

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Guest busdriver1

By eating a little bit of dirt and germs your immune system learns and develops.

This is why so many kids today get ill so easily, they live in a surgically clean bubble then the first germ they encounter knocks them for 6.

You'll swallow about 70 flies while you're asleep (on average), but it's no problem, because you'll swallow 10 spiders too, they'll eat the flies.

I'm afraid that's just an old wife's tale, it's completely untrue.

Did you by any chance have a cake at Costa in Waterstones this afternoon? If you are feeling a bit squiffy, it may be be because there was a big fat fly trapped in the cake display counter. It was crawling all over a lemon drizzle slice :gag: Now I doubt that it's only stop off was for a vomit on the lemon drizzle variety & god knows how long it had been in there. When I pointed it out, the girls opened the cabinet, took out the tray of drizzle cakes, shooed the fly off, threw just the one drizzle slice away (the one I saw the fly on), then put the tray back into the display!

Is it just me being overly hygienific, but shouldn't they have taken out & disposed of ALL the cakes in there, cleaned the cabinet & put fresh stock in???

You should have called the Policeman.

Me personally...I leap about with the Radio Times till I shoo it out. If it lands on any food stuff I would chuck the food out...when if I see the nasty beasties on the worktops etc I spray the area with antibacterial spray. Hate flies...they feast on faeces then share that delight with whatever else they land on. Flies also start laying their eggs prolifically in this heat too. What if that fly has laid it's eggs in that food cabinet? Maggot muffin, anyone :gag:

Have a look here.......

I reiterate....flies are yukky

Edited by spats
added link

Me personally...I leap about with the Radio Times till I shoo it out. If it lands on any food stuff I would chuck the food out...when if I see the nasty beasties on the worktops etc I spray the area with antibacterial spray. Hate flies...they feast on faeces then share that delight with whatever else they land on. Flies also start laying their eggs prolifically in this heat too. What if that fly has laid it's eggs in that food cabinet? Maggot muffin, anyone :gag:

Why didn't we all die prior to refrigeration and the current hygiene mad society?

Have a look here.......

I reiterate....flies are yukky

if I see a fly on my food I don't eat it but I realise this may happen without me knowing on numerous occasions

You should have called the Policeman.

The fly in squad ? Sorry!:loopy:

By eating a little bit of dirt and germs your immune system learns and develops.

This is why so many kids today get ill so easily, they live in a surgically clean bubble then the first germ they encounter knocks them for 6.

Exactly my thoughts when I read this post. At my age, I remember well butchers with hanging meat (outside!!) and cream/sugary cakes on open counters - with no 'flyzapper' in sight. I'm still here.

---------- Post added 26-07-2014 at 08:49 ----------

The fly in squad ? Sorry!:loopy:

So you should be! ;)

To anyone worried about flies on cakes, I would warn you of a far worse fly danger. The ones that chaps do up in the toilets but then don't wash their hands......

A fly on an Eccles cake won't hurt anyone

Guest busdriver1
Why didn't we all die prior to refrigeration and the current hygiene mad society?

A pure miracle, nothing less.:hihi: