Staffie savages its owner to death

I own 2 Staffordshire Bulls. If I'm being honest I would never own the breed again. Once they decide they dislike something any training goes out the window and the dogs are selectivity deaf. I love my dogs but they are powerful and pig headed a mix that is a dangerous one.

They are pushy and demanding but loving and gentle it all depends on the mood.

Mine never get of the lead, they are harnessed, muzzled and have two leads attatched (one to harness one to collar) but they will still try and get to another dog if they can.

I agree with a lot of the above comments, sometimes it is the dog not the owner. I have come to realise that you wouldn't try and tame an alligator because the one time it does attack is going to cause immense damage just like a staff will give the opportunity, bad luck or after being provoked.

I think that certain breeds (staffs included) should require the owner to possess a license. I understand that a license dosent create a better owner but a bad owner a "typical chav" type won't pay for a license therefore giving more powers to the authorities to remove dogs that are deemed dangerous.

I own 2 Staffordshire Bulls. If I'm being honest I would never own the breed again. Once they decide they dislike something any training goes out the window and the dogs are selectivity deaf. I love my dogs but they are powerful and pig headed a mix that is a dangerous one.

They are pushy and demanding but loving and gentle it all depends on the mood.

Mine never get of the lead, they are harnessed, muzzled and have two leads attatched (one to harness one to collar) but they will still try and get to another dog if they can.

I agree with a lot of the above comments, sometimes it is the dog not the owner. I have come to realise that you wouldn't try and tame an alligator because the one time it does attack is going to cause immense damage just like a staff will give the opportunity, bad luck or after being provoked.

I think that certain breeds (staffs included) should require the owner to possess a license. I understand that a license dosent create a better owner but a bad owner a "typical chav" type won't pay for a license therefore giving more powers to the authorities to remove dogs that are deemed dangerous.

I want to say from the outset of this reply that I am not "having a go" at you.

I like the fact that you love your dogs!

These are my observations on what you have said above.

The idea of dogs being "selectively deaf" is a bad one and a dog's mind does not work in that way. Given the correct training methods any dog will learn to obey. Aggressive behaviour towards other dogs is, with patience, relatively easy to control.

I would say that the times where the dog is to blame rather than a bad owner are very, very small indeed.

Your analogy of dog and alligator doesn't work at all for the most obvious of reasons which I hope I do not have to explain.

As far as licensing goes it would (imo) ultimately prove to be nothing more than another cash cow for governments and would initially lead to a mountain of abandoned and unwanted dogs. The authorities already have enough powers to control any animal deemed dangerous.

I want to say from the outset of this reply that I am not "having a go" at you.

I like the fact that you love your dogs!

These are my observations on what you have said above.

The idea of dogs being "selectively deaf" is a bad one and a dog's mind does not work in that way. Given the correct training methods any dog will learn to obey. Aggressive behaviour towards other dogs is, with patience, relatively easy to control.

I would say that the times where the dog is to blame rather than a bad owner are very, very small indeed.

Your analogy of dog and alligator doesn't work at all for the most obvious of reasons which I hope I do not have to explain.

As far as licensing goes it would (imo) ultimately prove to be nothing more than another cash cow for governments and would initially lead to a mountain of abandoned and unwanted dogs. The authorities already have enough powers to control any animal deemed dangerous.

Well said... however!

I have to disagree with this statement! I have a working springer spaniel, she is one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever owned and trained... She really is so obedient and well behaved.

BUT...... if she finds a sock (and it has to be one that hasn't been washed yet) she goes nuts - and I'll tell her to drop it, I see her ears prick up and she lays very still until I get right up to her at which point she drops it... anything else she has in her mouth she drops straight away when told to, but not socks! so I do believe she selectively hears me :hihi:

Well said... however!

I have to disagree with this statement! I have a working springer spaniel, she is one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever owned and trained... She really is so obedient and well behaved.

BUT...... if she finds a sock (and it has to be one that hasn't been washed yet) she goes nuts - and I'll tell her to drop it, I see her ears prick up and she lays very still until I get right up to her at which point she drops it... anything else she has in her mouth she drops straight away when told to, but not socks! so I do believe she selectively hears me :hihi:

She's just addicted to socks by the sound of it. :hihi:

I had a Springer who was also very intelligent. He came to us via a farm in Scotland where he had been trained to retrieve game birds. He tore off one his testicles jumping a barbed wire fence and became terrified of the gun going off thereafter as he appeared to associate the sound with the pain of the accident.

At that time in my life I was a marathon runner and he would go out training with me every day in all types of weather. I never ceased to be amazed at his ability to stay within ten yards ahead of me over all types of terrain with his nose about an inch off the ground.

Back to subject of the socks. Have you tried wearing them for a couple of days (at least) longer than normal? If I did that any dog would run a mile! :D

She's just addicted to socks by the sound of it. :hihi:

I had a Springer who was also very intelligent. He came to us via a farm in Scotland where he had been trained to retrieve game birds. He tore off one his testicles jumping a barbed wire fence and became terrified of the gun going off thereafter as he appeared to associate the sound with the pain of the accident.

At that time in my life I was a marathon runner and he would go out training with me every day in all types of weather. I never ceased to be amazed at his ability to stay within ten yards ahead of me over all types of terrain with his nose about an inch off the ground.

Back to subject of the socks. Have you tried wearing them for a couple of days (at least) longer than normal? If I did that any dog would run a mile! :D

She is! and unfortunately the smellier the better.... When the OH comes home from work he'll take his work boots off straight away and you can smell the stinkyness of his feet and wet socks (eeeww) but there she'll be, waiting for him to take his socks off!! hahaha it's so disgusting... :gag:

And poor boy!! oh bless him I'm not surprised the little lad got scared....

I would just like to say on a personal level that having a reactive mix breed dog who is a nightmare to walk - Staffies are the most polite and considerate dogs when around my boy - give me a Staffie over a bouncy in-your-face springer/lab anyday!

On another level, there has been studies recently to say that aggression is not breed specific - here is an example -

http://www.appliedanimalbehaviour.com/article/S0168-1591(13)00292-X/abstract

Other than to irritate and argue with people over difference of opinion - what is the point of this type of discussion on a forum - clearly you have made up your mind about Staffies......how is this type of outlet constructive?

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 16:47 ----------

Also this is a good study -

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159108001147

And this seems to suggest it is the urban environment -

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00267-014-0297-8

Mod Note:

Please remain civil with one another and refrain from bickering.

Ignoring this request will lead to the closure of the thread.

Thank you.

Edited by alternageek

Just watching the dangerous dogs programme now and some of the people on this should never ever be allowed animals.

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 21:55 ----------

Wow, having an old dog put down just so you can replace it with a fitter more vicious one....brutal.

Edited by Boothybabe

I'm glad you find innocent people being savaged by staffies amusing, but even if there are only two people savaged to death by staffies a year, that's two too many. This also doesn't take into account all the non fatal staffy attacks on people, as well as all the times staffys attack other people's pets. such as this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2662488/Owner-Staffordshire-Bull-Terrier-ripped-head-family-pet-jailed-defying-court-order-walking-dog.html

It's a common sight all over Sheffield's parks to see lowlife scrotes dragging stafys on chains, intimidating innocent people and making them uncomfortable. Why should decent people have to put up with it?

so what you are saying is its only staffies that attack, have you been bitten by a staffy and that where your problem comes from or wouldnt mummy let you have a staffy when you was a kid ?

Mod Note:

Please remain civil with one another and refrain from bickering.

Ignoring this request will lead to the closure of the thread.

Thank you.

I realise and fully accept that "modding" is difficult at the best of times, however, sometimes I just despair!

Just watching the dangerous dogs programme now and some of the people on this should never ever be allowed animals.

---------- Post added 04-08-2014 at 21:55 ----------

Wow, having an old dog put down just so you can replace it with a fitter more vicious one....brutal.

For those who missed it the Dangerous Dogs programme is repeated on Channel 5 on Saturday at 10pm.

In the meantime today's news features another dog attack on a human, can you guess what breed was responsible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-28701510

For those who missed it the Dangerous Dogs programme is repeated on Channel 5 on Saturday at 10pm.

In the meantime today's news features another dog attack on a human, can you guess what breed was responsible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-28701510

Reads to me like the dog was protecting its family from a nut job, grazes and lacerations...big deal, might teach him to go pointing guns at people.