Where do you think Sheffield should put all the UK's nuclear waste?

New installations are done by water metre.

Historically it was assumed that house size could be used to estimate water usage.

Since roman times it was done by the bore of your water pipe.

Water is collected and distributed though, there is no significant difference in cost to the utility company that depends on the amount you use. The same is not true of electricity which needs to be generated.

Oh but there is. It all has to be treated going out and coming back in. It falls from the sky (free generation), but it doesn't go out in the form it arrives in. Hence the arrival of water meters.

Likewise you generate sewage, you pay a flat rate to have it transported.

Its my understanding, from a recent conversation with a couple of physicists, that Tesla wanted to both generate and distribute the electricity (without cables) at no cost to the consumer.

points 9 & 10 on the following link

http://www.trueactivist.com/the-10-inventions-of-nikola-tesla-that-changed-the-world/

He might have wanted to, but he didn't have any magic 'free' method of generating it. So someone was going to have to pay for it.

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 00:46 ----------

No not really.

I am not criticising,putting down or demeaning Cyclone in any way.

I have put a better link in another post which better refers to the point i was trying to make. Tesla believed he could generate electricity for only the cost of building the generator and believed he could distribute it free and without the use of cables.

As far as my A level in physics goes, he was wrong.

You can transmit power without cables, but as distance increases the losses involved increase (roughly related to the sqr of the distance). Transmission by cable is far more efficient.

I think from that link it is pretty clear that he was onto something that some people don't want us knowing about.

And of course "some people" means that the knowledge would somehow be suppressed, not replicated in universities all over the world and published in scientific journals by people keen to get their doctorates.

If it smells like a conspiracy theory, and it does, then it's almost certainly not true.

Since roman times it was done by the bore of your water pipe.

Oh but there is. It all has to be treated going out and coming back in. It falls from the sky (free generation), but it doesn't go out in the form it arrives in. Hence the arrival of water meters.

Likewise you generate sewage, you pay a flat rate to have it transported.

Sewage is probably even more predictable than water usage to be honest.

(Good point about treatment of drinking water though).

I suspect in terms of estimating usage by household size it goes like this;

Sewage - very accurately estimated.

Water usage - less accurately, but still pretty accurate.

Electricity - Over a large number of households can be estimated fairly well, but when looking at a single household there is probably large variation.

Its an inevitability that it will end up at Doncaster!

No Doncaster is on the up. We need a dark hole to which no one goes. Or Barnsley as its more commonly known.

Cobblers.

You don't need an accurate way to charge for it.

Our drinking water is unmetered, but it sure as hell ain't free. How does that work then?

No water meter they charge you a standing charge for supplying it, a bit for sewage and some for drainage.

Using tesla's proposed method of generating electricity at no cost other than the generator build, and transmitting it so any one with an aeriel/receiver can just help themself would mean they have no way of knowing if were using electricity provided by them. SO they could not bill you, only make standing charges or rental fees for the receiver aeriel and if you made your own they'd have no way of knowing.

Read the link and think about it ... its obvious really.

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 14:34 ----------

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

He might have wanted to, but he didn't have any magic 'free' method of generating it.

Allegedly he did.

So someone was going to have to pay for it.

Only the generator

As far as my A level in physics goes, he was wrong.

You can transmit power without cables, but as distance increases the losses involved increase (roughly related to the sqr of the distance). Transmission by cable is far more efficient.

I think it can be safely siad that Tesla was operating way and beyong A'level physics.

And of course "some people" means that the knowledge would somehow be suppressed, not replicated in universities all over the world and published in scientific journals by people keen to get their doctorates..

I guess you did not ead the link in full. All his notes and research papers 'disappeared'.

If it smells like a conspiracy theory, and it does, then it's almost certainly not true.

I can't believe you said that.

Next you will be telling me 9/11 was really done by a bunch of goat farmers that decided to hijack some aeroplanes 1/2 way round the world then fly them in ways trained pilots say can't be done, and that the 7/7 london attacks were done by suicide bombers even though they missed their connecting train. Or will you be telling us man has really walked on the moon.

Come on cyclone you are certainly not someone I would have labelled gullible.

Labelling something a 'conspiracy theory' has become the modern way to say lets dismiss this and it will go away. Not all ideas labelled conspiracy theory are inaccurate and not when they are supported by thousands of people some of which being qualified in the subject under discussion, architects, engineers, scientists etc.

Edited by Tommo68