The meat in "meat and potato pie"

I have couple of recipes but they vary. Hairy bikers use mince, James Martin uses stewing steak. Which is better, or more "Yorkshire".

When I first moved here there used to be a cafe in Walkley that did take away pie. They were really good and I think they used stewing steak.

Then he question is, pastry all the way round or just on top?

So many questions before I can make a good pie?

For me. a "proper" Sheffield meat n' tater pie has to have stewing steak or leg beef, cut into quite large-ish chunks, potatoes, carrots, onions - also cut into quite large chunks and a thick, crumbly pastry lid. The fat in the pastry has to be lard, suet or dripping. Very unhealthy pastry indeed - a heart attack on a plate - but delicious nonetheless!

My mum puts stewing steak, potatoes, kidneys and onions in hers think she puts small diced carrots in too. Love it!

As above with lard and the pastry lol.

Use shin beef, this is the best.

served with a good splash of hendersons elixer of life and possibly mushy peas

served with a good splash of hendersons elixer of life and possibly mushy peas

I recently moved to East yorkshire, could not believe no one sold or even heard of Hendersons my family have been having a laugh and buying me 6 bottles as a Christmas present, then I went in Asda last week and they had just started stocking it.I was leaping about in the aisles shouting YES

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 17:33 ----------

mince in a meat and potato pie! could not believe two so called cooks could even suggest such a thing .Any chunky beef is ideal leg shin stewing braising, is best no need to add granules, it has to have some body to it, you can even use up Sunday joint(if you can afford one) but whatever you use do braise it first ,you will find it thickens gravy by itself no need to use gravy granules