Different types of vaccines for dogs?

Hi

I am picking up my new puppy on Sunday (v.excited). He has had his first lot of injections via the breeder's vets. I have just rung Springfield Vets to enquire about his second set of injections and she told me that the ones he has had (I don't know the name) may not be compatible with theirs so we may have to start again. I've not heard of this and am a bit concerned as that will obviously put back when he will be able to go out.

Has anyone else heard of this? I will be getting all the paperwork on Sunday.

Thanks

Aren't you able to take him to the breeders vet for his second jabs?

i will if necessary but he is coming from near ilkeston, but i will take him back there if need be. i thought the jabs were all the same - like say tetanus - doesn't matter where you get it as it's the same injection...

Use the same vet as the breeder to finish the injections and then swop to the vets of choice. They could easily phone the other vets to find out . They are just seeing pound signs . Giving a pup more vaccinations on top of the 1st ones is just asking to make your pup poorly .

I've never actually had a puppy so it's not something I've ever looked into. But yeah, I would assume that all injections would be the same. Even if the brand used by one vet is different to the brand used by another vet, I would still think they worked in the same way.

Obviously, I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

Use the same vet as the breeder to finish the injections and then swop to the vets of choice. They could easily phone the other vets to find out . They are just seeing pound signs . Giving a pup more vaccinations on top of the 1st ones is just asking to make your pup poorly .

:-( it has put me off the vets to be honest with you. which is a shame

Yes there are two types of injections, I took my pup from the breeder with no vaccs and had him done at my vets the day I picked him up

Yep there are different brands and it needs to be the same type. Find out which brand of vaccs he has had, then ring round the vets in your area to find out which use the same ones, save you having to go all the way to ilkeston.

:-( it has put me off the vets to be honest with you. which is a shame

Please please please don't let this put you off Springfield!! We take all our pets there and they are absolutely fantastic, they have done amazing things for our animals, and they are only being honest with you and telling you what is right for your puppy....if they didn't ask these questions and gave him the wrong thing then you would have cause to complain, but considering they are doing the best thing they could then that should prove to you that they are good vets!!

Hi

I am picking up my new puppy on Sunday (v.excited). He has had his first lot of injections via the breeder's vets. I have just rung Springfield Vets to enquire about his second set of injections and she told me that the ones he has had (I don't know the name) may not be compatible with theirs so we may have to start again. I've not heard of this and am a bit concerned as that will obviously put back when he will be able to go out.

Has anyone else heard of this? I will be getting all the paperwork on Sunday.

Thanks

That happened with our pup,we ended up taking her to the same vets as the breeder went to there was no problem and they were free.

We ended up staying with that vets..

Your vet is right in saying it must be the same brand of vaccination for the primary course in a puppy.

The drug companies only licence the vaccines to be given together on a specific timescale. Any vet going outside this licence risks their own license to practice. Plus if any side effects did occur when used incorrectly then you would be able to take legal proceedings against that vet.

There will be a vet in the area that carries that make of vaccination. Ring around and see who can finish off the course for you!

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know there were different sorts. I'll make sure he gets the "matching" second lot then take it from there.

Thanks all