Internal thread stripped on engine block. Oil pressure switch.

As per title really.

The oil pressure switch on my Corsa B popped earlier, and when trying to remove it i found it just spun and spun. I did eventually manage to get it out and the threads look ok on the switch itself, so it must be the internal threads that are gone.

I know it could be drilled out and an insert......well inserted :D but it'd be a booger to do, the front end would probably have to come off as space is restricted.

Anyway. Is their owt else i could use, remembering there's no load (weight) on the switch. (not sure how much pressure ?)

I've had a Google, but it seems the repair items i have to hand may not be up to the job. JB Weld. Liquid gasket. Plumbers tape. :help:

Obviously needs to be a reliable repair as i'd prefer my oil inside the engine rather than all over the road. (Again) :love:

the only safe repair is a thread insert, you dont really want to dump the contents of your engine all over the road obviously as your engine will sieze but also as a safety issue for 2 wheeled road users. look into either helicoil inserts or the more modern alternative timesert or keensert inserts.

Think the thread size is M14x1.5 You could maybe look at a similar switch with the next size up thread (may have to do some jiggling with wiring) You may also consider trying one of these is you're stuck for space.

There are all sorts of different liquid metal products on the market. personally I would not use any of them..the only safe and proper way of doing it is to either replace the part or drill and helicoil the thread.

Thanks for the replies. I've obvioiusly already checked those out and guessed that would be the best way to go, but i can see it being expensive.

Would any of you know where i could get it done, and roughly how much ? Ali block btw.

Helicoil is cheap enough it'd be perhaps £20 from a decent mechanics shop. Sadly I cant recommend anyone in Sheffield but I'd have though most mobile mechanics worth their salt would be able to do it for you.

As a thought youll need to make sure no metal from drilling or tapping to fit the helicoil ends up in the block, it will soon destroy the engine if it does.

Ive fitted helicoils in the past.i know theres an attachment you can get when you drill a hole in a wall that attaches to a hoover and saves mess on the carpet. One of those may do it but could also suck oil from the engine!

As a thought youll need to make sure no metal from drilling or tapping to fit the helicoil ends up in the block, it will soon destroy the engine if it does.

Ive fitted helicoils in the past.i know theres an attachment you can get when you drill a hole in a wall that attaches to a hoover and saves mess on the carpet. One of those may do it but could also suck oil from the engine!

That was one of my fears going down that route. I don't see how debris could be stopped from entering the block, and it's really not economical to strip down an S reg Corsa for such an operation. :hihi:

I might just blank the begger off, MOT is out the end of next month. :D

Is there any thread in the hole at all or is it just smooth?

If there is a bit of rough thread then you may be able to do something with it.

Is there any thread in the hole at all or is it just smooth?

If there is a bit of rough thread then you may be able to do something with it.

Yeah there's some there.

After much frustration I tapped a screwdriver down behind it to bring it out a little. It then screwed out the rest of the way.

Its unusual for it to screw out once youd jemmied it out a bit.

The switch thread is the softer of the two so it should be that that strips and not the block thread.

Although the switch may look ok it might be stripped on the very ends of the threads.

Id try a new one slowly before you go any further as the extra depth of the thread on it might just do its job.

Its unusual for it to screw out once youd jemmied it out a bit.

The switch thread is the softer of the two so it should be that that strips and not the block thread.

Although the switch may look ok it might be stripped on the very ends of the threads.

Id try a new one slowly before you go any further as the extra depth of the thread on it might just do its job.

Tried a new switch in it and the internal thread is buggered. :(