Fishing in canal and BBQ the fish?

People don't generally fish for course fish to keep and cook them.

People don't generally fish for course fish to keep and cook them.

Mega, do course fish swear at people :hihi::hihi:

The time to worry is, if the fish stocks decline, will they start eating people?

It's a cultural thing. In some societies (eg Eastern Europe, the Far East for example, and probably many others) it is normal to eat whatever you catch. Here in the UK, we have an arbitrary division between course and game freshwater fish, and generally we now eat the game fish and return the course fish. Having said that there is a history of eating some fish. I've seen old recipes for plenty of course fish.

I remember a discussion with a group of Thai people who simply couldn't understand the concept of catching fish for sport. As far as they were concerned the only reason you would want to catch fish would be for food. To catch them for sport and throw them back were, in their eyes, just a case of being cruel to the fish. I could sort of see their piont. It was OK to catch them only if you were going to eat them.

Environment agency baliffs take a dim view of eastern europeans poaching on inland waterways if you see anybody poaching call the

Environment agency 0800 807060

there is always a few groups on between ferham and meadowhall, also quiet a few burn patches that was use as BBQ for the poor fish

I went fishing today at plumpers stretch and then walked back into to town. As far as i can tell the canal is very full of small fry loads and loads of them as well as tons of silvers , you could see them all sat on the top ! Although you do always see a few polish walking along throwing in lures and bread trying to catch their dinner! The only problem is that the ones they want to eat are the ones most people want to catch i,e the carp and pike!

I went fishing today at plumpers stretch and then walked back into to town. As far as i can tell the canal is very full of small fry loads and loads of them as well as tons of silvers , you could see them all sat on the top ! Although you do always see a few polish walking along throwing in lures and bread trying to catch their dinner! The only problem is that the ones they want to eat are the ones most people want to catch i,e the carp and pike!

Can you eat pike? I thought it wasn't fit for consumption?

Can you eat pike? I thought it wasn't fit for consumption?

As a kid I can remember one of Dad's friends wanted to try pike. So he caught one and cooked it. I can remember having it in fish cakes, I didn't like it but mostly because of the bones.

This was the 70s. I seem to think he might have caught it at Newstead Abbey.

I much preferred trout, sea trout and salmon.